Making Your LinkedIn Profile Look Good to Land a Job
By Vanessa Michael Pulvinar | July 9, 2014 12:34 AM EST
It has become a necessity to cultivate a professional online image in today's job market. LinkedIn, a social networking Web site allows users to create personal profile which showcases qualifications for certain types of jobs. Because of this, job seekers should make their profiles visible and active.
The logo for LinkedIn Corporation, a social networking networking website for people in professional occupations, is shown in Mountain View, California
Check these tips to make your profile stand out to a browsing recruiter:
1. Upload your recent photo. It is one of the three key areas that potential employers look In the first few seconds along with your headline and professional summary. Use a photo that will help you look professional and competent.
2. Place a job title. Describe the nature of your work in the "job title" section of your profile, along with a short description of what you exactly do. For eaxample, write freelance writer who drives traffic to a Web site using keyword optimization.
3. Provide client testimonials. Showcase testimonials from people you have worked with on your LinkedIn profile to show that you have a history of client satisfaction.
4. Create a concise summary. You can use the summary section to reiterate your accomplishments and when you did it, how you get things done, and why you are passionate about the industry.
5. Profile applications. Take advantage of the wide range of applications available in the LinkedIn Application Directory that you can add to beef up your profiles. Apps like SlideShare to upload slideshows, Box.net to share portfolio with potential recruiters and Amazon Reading List app to highlight industry-related books that you have read.
6. Join groups. Be a member of several groups and link yourself with other people to target the audience you want and participate in group's discussion to be discovered by a recruiter.
7. Use popular keyword phrases. Add keywords in your profile to build on Web traffic in your account to make it more searchable.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Gay Community In Liberia Persecuted For Ebola; Church Leaders Call Virus 'Punishment' For Homosexuality
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine