Making Your LinkedIn Profile Look Good to Land a Job
By Vanessa Michael Pulvinar | July 9, 2014 12:34 AM EST
It has become a necessity to cultivate a professional online image in today's job market. LinkedIn, a social networking Web site allows users to create personal profile which showcases qualifications for certain types of jobs. Because of this, job seekers should make their profiles visible and active.
The logo for LinkedIn Corporation, a social networking networking website for people in professional occupations, is shown in Mountain View, California
Check these tips to make your profile stand out to a browsing recruiter:
1. Upload your recent photo. It is one of the three key areas that potential employers look In the first few seconds along with your headline and professional summary. Use a photo that will help you look professional and competent.
2. Place a job title. Describe the nature of your work in the "job title" section of your profile, along with a short description of what you exactly do. For eaxample, write freelance writer who drives traffic to a Web site using keyword optimization.
3. Provide client testimonials. Showcase testimonials from people you have worked with on your LinkedIn profile to show that you have a history of client satisfaction.
4. Create a concise summary. You can use the summary section to reiterate your accomplishments and when you did it, how you get things done, and why you are passionate about the industry.
5. Profile applications. Take advantage of the wide range of applications available in the LinkedIn Application Directory that you can add to beef up your profiles. Apps like SlideShare to upload slideshows, Box.net to share portfolio with potential recruiters and Amazon Reading List app to highlight industry-related books that you have read.
6. Join groups. Be a member of several groups and link yourself with other people to target the audience you want and participate in group's discussion to be discovered by a recruiter.
7. Use popular keyword phrases. Add keywords in your profile to build on Web traffic in your account to make it more searchable.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Shocking Ice Bucket Challenge Video: Man Drenches 10-Month-Old Granddaughter, Video Garnered Angry And Appalled Comments From Viewers
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How