NBA News - Free Agents Danny Granger, Josh McRoberts Commit to Miami Heat
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 8, 2014 10:34 PM EST
The Big Three’s status with the Miami Heat is still up in the air but the Pat Riley is reloading for the future with the acquisition of Danny Granger and Josh McRoberts from free agency.
The pair has verbally committed and is expected to sign with the Florida franchise by July 10 when the moratorium for signing free agents is lifted.
NBA: Indiana Pacers at Charlotte Bobcats
McRoberts will be paid $23 million over years or the full midlevel exception (MLE)— getting a big contract after a good season with the Charlotte Bobcats.
“From Coach [Spoelstra] to [Heat executive] Andy Elisburg to Pat to ownership, they were all really excited about Josh," said McRobert’s agent Mike Conley in an interview with ESPN.COM. "They all met with Josh, came out from day one with their offer and made it clear to us that Josh is who they want.”
"It was probably the toughest decision he's ever had to make, but it could be a once-in-a-career opportunity for Josh to join a great team with a great player. They're looking at Josh coming in and being a major factor."
McRoberts is a well-traveled pro playing with the Portland Trail Blazers, Indiana Pacers, Los Angeles Lakers, Orlando Magic and the Hornets (previously Bobcats) in 7-year NBA career. He averaged 8.9 points and 6.0 rebounds in 97 regular season games for Charlotte.
Meanwhile, the 31-year-old Granger has spent his first eight years in the league with the Heat’s East rivals, Indiana Pacers since being drafted the 17th overall pick in the 2005 NBA Draft. He was traded to the Los Angeles Clippers midseason of 2013-2014.
Granger, who agreed to a $4.2M over 2 years contract, averaged 8.0 points and 2.3 rebounds in limited minutes with the Clippers.
Lebron’s decision has not yet arrived but the acquisition of two serviceable players can at least give Heat general manager Pat Riley some ammo in convincing LBJ that they are retooling for another run at the NBA championship.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Celebs: Struggle With Drug Addiction
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People