NBA News - Free Agents Danny Granger, Josh McRoberts Commit to Miami Heat
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 8, 2014 10:34 PM EST
The Big Three’s status with the Miami Heat is still up in the air but the Pat Riley is reloading for the future with the acquisition of Danny Granger and Josh McRoberts from free agency.
The pair has verbally committed and is expected to sign with the Florida franchise by July 10 when the moratorium for signing free agents is lifted.
NBA: Indiana Pacers at Charlotte Bobcats
McRoberts will be paid $23 million over years or the full midlevel exception (MLE)— getting a big contract after a good season with the Charlotte Bobcats.
“From Coach [Spoelstra] to [Heat executive] Andy Elisburg to Pat to ownership, they were all really excited about Josh," said McRobert’s agent Mike Conley in an interview with ESPN.COM. "They all met with Josh, came out from day one with their offer and made it clear to us that Josh is who they want.”
"It was probably the toughest decision he's ever had to make, but it could be a once-in-a-career opportunity for Josh to join a great team with a great player. They're looking at Josh coming in and being a major factor."
McRoberts is a well-traveled pro playing with the Portland Trail Blazers, Indiana Pacers, Los Angeles Lakers, Orlando Magic and the Hornets (previously Bobcats) in 7-year NBA career. He averaged 8.9 points and 6.0 rebounds in 97 regular season games for Charlotte.
Meanwhile, the 31-year-old Granger has spent his first eight years in the league with the Heat’s East rivals, Indiana Pacers since being drafted the 17th overall pick in the 2005 NBA Draft. He was traded to the Los Angeles Clippers midseason of 2013-2014.
Granger, who agreed to a $4.2M over 2 years contract, averaged 8.0 points and 2.3 rebounds in limited minutes with the Clippers.
Lebron’s decision has not yet arrived but the acquisition of two serviceable players can at least give Heat general manager Pat Riley some ammo in convincing LBJ that they are retooling for another run at the NBA championship.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- Jeremy Lin's Trade To Los Angeles Lakers Is An Opportunity To Reinvent His Brand
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- Roger Federer and Michael Jordan Collaborate To Create Sneaker History For the US Open 2014
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Two Weeks to Go Starting at $800 with New Phosphorus HealthKit Chip
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Bill Shorten Calls Tony Abbott 'Ineligible' To Lead Australia; Government Party-Room Leaks On Abbott'sTravel Entitlements