NBA News - Free Agents Danny Granger, Josh McRoberts Commit to Miami Heat
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 8, 2014 10:34 PM EST
The Big Three’s status with the Miami Heat is still up in the air but the Pat Riley is reloading for the future with the acquisition of Danny Granger and Josh McRoberts from free agency.
The pair has verbally committed and is expected to sign with the Florida franchise by July 10 when the moratorium for signing free agents is lifted.
NBA: Indiana Pacers at Charlotte Bobcats
McRoberts will be paid $23 million over years or the full midlevel exception (MLE)— getting a big contract after a good season with the Charlotte Bobcats.
“From Coach [Spoelstra] to [Heat executive] Andy Elisburg to Pat to ownership, they were all really excited about Josh," said McRobert’s agent Mike Conley in an interview with ESPN.COM. "They all met with Josh, came out from day one with their offer and made it clear to us that Josh is who they want.”
"It was probably the toughest decision he's ever had to make, but it could be a once-in-a-career opportunity for Josh to join a great team with a great player. They're looking at Josh coming in and being a major factor."
McRoberts is a well-traveled pro playing with the Portland Trail Blazers, Indiana Pacers, Los Angeles Lakers, Orlando Magic and the Hornets (previously Bobcats) in 7-year NBA career. He averaged 8.9 points and 6.0 rebounds in 97 regular season games for Charlotte.
Meanwhile, the 31-year-old Granger has spent his first eight years in the league with the Heat’s East rivals, Indiana Pacers since being drafted the 17th overall pick in the 2005 NBA Draft. He was traded to the Los Angeles Clippers midseason of 2013-2014.
Granger, who agreed to a $4.2M over 2 years contract, averaged 8.0 points and 2.3 rebounds in limited minutes with the Clippers.
Lebron’s decision has not yet arrived but the acquisition of two serviceable players can at least give Heat general manager Pat Riley some ammo in convincing LBJ that they are retooling for another run at the NBA championship.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’