NBA News - Free Agents Danny Granger, Josh McRoberts Commit to Miami Heat
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 8, 2014 10:34 PM EST
The Big Three’s status with the Miami Heat is still up in the air but the Pat Riley is reloading for the future with the acquisition of Danny Granger and Josh McRoberts from free agency.
The pair has verbally committed and is expected to sign with the Florida franchise by July 10 when the moratorium for signing free agents is lifted.
NBA: Indiana Pacers at Charlotte Bobcats
McRoberts will be paid $23 million over years or the full midlevel exception (MLE)— getting a big contract after a good season with the Charlotte Bobcats.
“From Coach [Spoelstra] to [Heat executive] Andy Elisburg to Pat to ownership, they were all really excited about Josh," said McRobert’s agent Mike Conley in an interview with ESPN.COM. "They all met with Josh, came out from day one with their offer and made it clear to us that Josh is who they want.”
"It was probably the toughest decision he's ever had to make, but it could be a once-in-a-career opportunity for Josh to join a great team with a great player. They're looking at Josh coming in and being a major factor."
McRoberts is a well-traveled pro playing with the Portland Trail Blazers, Indiana Pacers, Los Angeles Lakers, Orlando Magic and the Hornets (previously Bobcats) in 7-year NBA career. He averaged 8.9 points and 6.0 rebounds in 97 regular season games for Charlotte.
Meanwhile, the 31-year-old Granger has spent his first eight years in the league with the Heat’s East rivals, Indiana Pacers since being drafted the 17th overall pick in the 2005 NBA Draft. He was traded to the Los Angeles Clippers midseason of 2013-2014.
Granger, who agreed to a $4.2M over 2 years contract, averaged 8.0 points and 2.3 rebounds in limited minutes with the Clippers.
Lebron’s decision has not yet arrived but the acquisition of two serviceable players can at least give Heat general manager Pat Riley some ammo in convincing LBJ that they are retooling for another run at the NBA championship.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Fernando Alonso Leaves Ferrari 'For Two Reasons'
- Roger Federer Says He Has Never Seen Rafael Nadal Play So Bad, Wishes That The Spaniard Recuperate Well From Appendicitis
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nick Kyrgios Holds Twitter Q&A, Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time And His Favourite Superhero
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight