NBA News: Charlotte Hornets Rookie Hairston Charged with Assault on Pickup Game Melee
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 8, 2014 6:57 PM EST
The Charlotte Hornets reverted back to their own name, made the playoffs last season after years of futility and drafted the right guys last June. Everything is heading the right direction and all does not need right now is another distraction. Rookie P.J. Hairston provided that in just a couple of days after becoming a part of the organization.
NBA: Playoffs-Miami Heat at Charlotte Bobcats
Hairston is facing misdemeanor charges of assault and battery following an incident last Sunday during a pickup basketball game. He is scheduled to appear before the Durham Country Sheriff's Office next month to refute the said charges.
The legal battle being faced by the 21-year-old guard stems from the complaint of Kentrell Berkley, 6-foot-, 17-year old senior at North Durham HighSchool who claims that Hairston "punchedhim twice in the head" during a competitive basketball game that got out of hand. Berkley's legal guardian Rich Phillips also told the media that his ward had a visible knot in the forehead while claiming to be also punched in the neck.
Paul Sherwin, the public information officer for the Durham County Sheriff's Office however said that Hairston will not be arrested but will be required to attend the August 8 court date. The Charlotte Hornets organization was aware of the incident and has already made internal arrangements to resolve the issue.
Hairston practiced with the team Monday and issued a statement through the team stating his regret and apologies to both the fans and the Hornets for creating a "distraction."
''As this is now a legal matter, I cannot comment on the situation any further,'' Hairston said per Yahoo! Sports. ''I am truly sorry for any embarrassment that I have caused.''
The said altercation which was witnessed by Phillip's son, Vince, started when the Hornets rookie got visibly annoyed after his team has lost a string of games to Berkley's team. He stated that Hairston was dribbling down court when he threw a punch at Berkley before driving to the rim. The said incident caused a melee and the two players were separated before Berkley could retaliate.
The 6-foot-6 Hairston is the 26th overall pick in last month's NBA draft and suited up last season for the Texas Legends of the NBA Development League.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan