Melissa McCarthy Was ‘Difficult to Work With,’ Claims Fashion Designer Christian Siriano
By Anne Lu | July 8, 2014 5:19 PM EST
Plus-size actress Melissa McCarthy wasn’t shunned by fashion designers as she had claimed, according to “Project Runway” designer Christian Siriano. Apparently, the comedienne was the one “difficult to work with.”
In June, the 43-year-old actress told Redbook that her large size was looked down upon in an industry where size four is considered ideal.
“Two Oscars ago, I couldn’t find anybody to do a dress for me. I asked five or six designers – very high-level ones who make lots of dresses for people – and they all said, ‘No,’” she said.
In a separate interview with The Hollywood Reporter, she recounted her ordeal in finding the right dress for her size, saying that it’s “damn near impossible.”
“It’s either for like a 98-year-old woman or a 14-year-old hooker, and there is nothing in the middle.”
However, according to Siriano, who won the fourth season of the U.S. fashion design competition show “Project Runway,” it’s McCarthy’s attitude, not her body size, that’s the problem.
“We met with her people. She and her stylist chose the fabric and the beading,” he told the New York Daily News.
“Quite frankly, she was difficult to work with. She wanted some specific things that I thought would not look good on her body. And she was not comfortable with them in the end.”
McCarthy ended up wearing a pink Marina Rinaldi gown, which earned mixed reviews from fashion critics.
Nevertheless, her ordeal in finding a designer willing to dress her for the Academy Awards, whether true or not, did result in something positive and productive.
She has started her own plus-size collection called Daniella Pearl, which she debuted in June.
McCarthy is currently starring in the comedy “Tammy,” which is directed by her husband Ben Falcone. The film received mostly negative reviews, but has already grossed over U$35 million.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Kylie Jenner Shamed for Range Rover Boasts
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Maksim Chmerkovskiy Exits DWTS For Jennifer Lopez --- Reports
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Vacation Plans: Visit Prince Charles & Camilla Parker-Bowles
- Queen Elizabeth and Kate Middleton Clash Again: Duchess Scared of Difficult Pregnancy, Adopting Second 'Royal' Baby - Reports
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff