Melissa McCarthy Was ‘Difficult to Work With,’ Claims Fashion Designer Christian Siriano
By Anne Lu | July 8, 2014 5:19 PM EST
Plus-size actress Melissa McCarthy wasn’t shunned by fashion designers as she had claimed, according to “Project Runway” designer Christian Siriano. Apparently, the comedienne was the one “difficult to work with.”
In June, the 43-year-old actress told Redbook that her large size was looked down upon in an industry where size four is considered ideal.
“Two Oscars ago, I couldn’t find anybody to do a dress for me. I asked five or six designers – very high-level ones who make lots of dresses for people – and they all said, ‘No,’” she said.
In a separate interview with The Hollywood Reporter, she recounted her ordeal in finding the right dress for her size, saying that it’s “damn near impossible.”
“It’s either for like a 98-year-old woman or a 14-year-old hooker, and there is nothing in the middle.”
However, according to Siriano, who won the fourth season of the U.S. fashion design competition show “Project Runway,” it’s McCarthy’s attitude, not her body size, that’s the problem.
“We met with her people. She and her stylist chose the fabric and the beading,” he told the New York Daily News.
“Quite frankly, she was difficult to work with. She wanted some specific things that I thought would not look good on her body. And she was not comfortable with them in the end.”
McCarthy ended up wearing a pink Marina Rinaldi gown, which earned mixed reviews from fashion critics.
Nevertheless, her ordeal in finding a designer willing to dress her for the Academy Awards, whether true or not, did result in something positive and productive.
She has started her own plus-size collection called Daniella Pearl, which she debuted in June.
McCarthy is currently starring in the comedy “Tammy,” which is directed by her husband Ben Falcone. The film received mostly negative reviews, but has already grossed over U$35 million.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- Mark Ruffalo Turns Into Hulk For His Daughter And Another Preschooler
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change