Melissa McCarthy Was ‘Difficult to Work With,’ Claims Fashion Designer Christian Siriano
By Anne Lu | July 8, 2014 5:19 PM EST
Plus-size actress Melissa McCarthy wasn’t shunned by fashion designers as she had claimed, according to “Project Runway” designer Christian Siriano. Apparently, the comedienne was the one “difficult to work with.”
In June, the 43-year-old actress told Redbook that her large size was looked down upon in an industry where size four is considered ideal.
“Two Oscars ago, I couldn’t find anybody to do a dress for me. I asked five or six designers – very high-level ones who make lots of dresses for people – and they all said, ‘No,’” she said.
In a separate interview with The Hollywood Reporter, she recounted her ordeal in finding the right dress for her size, saying that it’s “damn near impossible.”
“It’s either for like a 98-year-old woman or a 14-year-old hooker, and there is nothing in the middle.”
However, according to Siriano, who won the fourth season of the U.S. fashion design competition show “Project Runway,” it’s McCarthy’s attitude, not her body size, that’s the problem.
“We met with her people. She and her stylist chose the fabric and the beading,” he told the New York Daily News.
“Quite frankly, she was difficult to work with. She wanted some specific things that I thought would not look good on her body. And she was not comfortable with them in the end.”
McCarthy ended up wearing a pink Marina Rinaldi gown, which earned mixed reviews from fashion critics.
Nevertheless, her ordeal in finding a designer willing to dress her for the Academy Awards, whether true or not, did result in something positive and productive.
She has started her own plus-size collection called Daniella Pearl, which she debuted in June.
McCarthy is currently starring in the comedy “Tammy,” which is directed by her husband Ben Falcone. The film received mostly negative reviews, but has already grossed over U$35 million.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7'—5 Villains To Feature In The Movie, According To Reported Leaks [Spoilers]
- Rihanna Nude Photos Leaked – The Fappening 2: Second Wave Of Celebrities Nude Pictures Leak on 4chan And Reddit
- 'Castle' Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic's Kate Beckett, NYPD To Discover The Real Rick Castle
- 'Under The Dome' Season 2 Finale Spoilers: An Exit Route Appears But Not Everyone Gets Out Alive, 'Under The Dome' Season 3 Update [VIDEO]
- Bruce Jenner Sex Change Reports Resurface As He Shaves His Leg, Behaves Feminine Inside A Coffee Shop
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4