Melissa McCarthy Was ‘Difficult to Work With,’ Claims Fashion Designer Christian Siriano
By Anne Lu | July 8, 2014 5:19 PM EST
Plus-size actress Melissa McCarthy wasn’t shunned by fashion designers as she had claimed, according to “Project Runway” designer Christian Siriano. Apparently, the comedienne was the one “difficult to work with.”
In June, the 43-year-old actress told Redbook that her large size was looked down upon in an industry where size four is considered ideal.
“Two Oscars ago, I couldn’t find anybody to do a dress for me. I asked five or six designers – very high-level ones who make lots of dresses for people – and they all said, ‘No,’” she said.
In a separate interview with The Hollywood Reporter, she recounted her ordeal in finding the right dress for her size, saying that it’s “damn near impossible.”
“It’s either for like a 98-year-old woman or a 14-year-old hooker, and there is nothing in the middle.”
However, according to Siriano, who won the fourth season of the U.S. fashion design competition show “Project Runway,” it’s McCarthy’s attitude, not her body size, that’s the problem.
“We met with her people. She and her stylist chose the fabric and the beading,” he told the New York Daily News.
“Quite frankly, she was difficult to work with. She wanted some specific things that I thought would not look good on her body. And she was not comfortable with them in the end.”
McCarthy ended up wearing a pink Marina Rinaldi gown, which earned mixed reviews from fashion critics.
Nevertheless, her ordeal in finding a designer willing to dress her for the Academy Awards, whether true or not, did result in something positive and productive.
She has started her own plus-size collection called Daniella Pearl, which she debuted in June.
McCarthy is currently starring in the comedy “Tammy,” which is directed by her husband Ben Falcone. The film received mostly negative reviews, but has already grossed over U$35 million.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’: Blake And Louise Tell The True Story
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Oct. 20-24 Spoilers: An ‘Unexpected Visitor’ Changes Everything For Sami Plus Updates On Salemites
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Oct. 20-24, 2014, Plus Additional Spoilers For Oct. 27, 2014: Nina Makes Public Rosalie’s Secret
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks