Men Are Not Meant to Be Left Alone With Their Thoughts
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | July 8, 2014 2:52 PM EST
“To be with own thoughts” - most men just don’t get along with the idea, a recent survey revealed.
According to this report, about a quarter of women and two-thirds of men preferred electric shocks over their own company.
Men are not meant to be Left Alone with Their Thoughts.
Timothy Wilson, University of Virginia professor of psychology and lead author of the study, initially thought, out brain is full of bitter sweet memories which in turn help building up beautiful stories and fantasies.
But what they found was quite opposite to this belief. Most of the people involved in the study didn’t like it and thought it was hard.
To come up with a counter logic, the researchers wanted to find out “would they prefer negative stimulations to boredom?”
So they gave the participants access to a device that would provide a small electrical shock by pressing a button. It wasn’t a very strong shock, as the device was built around a 9 volt battery.
“But we weren’t even sure it was worth doing,” Wilson said. “I mean, no one was going to shock themselves by choice.”
But the end result was astonishing. Whereas 6 of the 24 women shocked themselves, 12 of the 18 men did so.
In other words, most men are more interested in seeking variety and stimulation than women are, even if that means getting 190 electric shocks in 15 minutes.
Jonathan Smallwood, a professor of psychology at the University of York who wasn’t involved in the study, said this result was not surprising though.
In today’s world, where there are countless distractions in the form of social networks and smart phone apps, this observation seems to be very obvious.
Both Wilson and Smallwood believe further investigations are required to understand this trait in a clearer way.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Sugar Is The Major Cause Of Obesity: Top 5 Ways To Reduce Your Sugar Intake
- Ebola Survivors' Blood Sold in Black Market, WHO Warns Buyers of Risks Including Death
- Jennifer Lopez's Diet and Fitness Secrets Revealed: Ways by Which She Keeps Her Lower Body Toned
- Hip Hop Mogul Russell Simmons Says In New Book That Meditation and Yoga Can Make You Rich
- Kids Whose Parents Went To College Eat Healthier, Study Finds
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown