Men Are Not Meant to Be Left Alone With Their Thoughts
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | July 8, 2014 2:52 PM EST
“To be with own thoughts” - most men just don’t get along with the idea, a recent survey revealed.
According to this report, about a quarter of women and two-thirds of men preferred electric shocks over their own company.
Men are not meant to be Left Alone with Their Thoughts.
Timothy Wilson, University of Virginia professor of psychology and lead author of the study, initially thought, out brain is full of bitter sweet memories which in turn help building up beautiful stories and fantasies.
But what they found was quite opposite to this belief. Most of the people involved in the study didn’t like it and thought it was hard.
To come up with a counter logic, the researchers wanted to find out “would they prefer negative stimulations to boredom?”
So they gave the participants access to a device that would provide a small electrical shock by pressing a button. It wasn’t a very strong shock, as the device was built around a 9 volt battery.
“But we weren’t even sure it was worth doing,” Wilson said. “I mean, no one was going to shock themselves by choice.”
But the end result was astonishing. Whereas 6 of the 24 women shocked themselves, 12 of the 18 men did so.
In other words, most men are more interested in seeking variety and stimulation than women are, even if that means getting 190 electric shocks in 15 minutes.
Jonathan Smallwood, a professor of psychology at the University of York who wasn’t involved in the study, said this result was not surprising though.
In today’s world, where there are countless distractions in the form of social networks and smart phone apps, this observation seems to be very obvious.
Both Wilson and Smallwood believe further investigations are required to understand this trait in a clearer way.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Great-Grandma With Dementia Writes Moving Letter Before Taking Life
- 5 Little Known Facts About Smoking
- 'Game Of Thrones' Cast Members Nominate Each Other For ALS Ice Bucket Challenge [VIDEOS]
- Refraining from Your Regular Quota of Instant Noodles Might Save Your Life
- Married Couples Who Smoke Pot, Less Likely to Encounter Domestic Violence
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Windows 9 To Include Interactive Live Tiles and Notification Center in Metro 2.0