Men Are Not Meant to Be Left Alone With Their Thoughts
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | July 8, 2014 2:52 PM EST
“To be with own thoughts” - most men just don’t get along with the idea, a recent survey revealed.
According to this report, about a quarter of women and two-thirds of men preferred electric shocks over their own company.
Men are not meant to be Left Alone with Their Thoughts.
Timothy Wilson, University of Virginia professor of psychology and lead author of the study, initially thought, out brain is full of bitter sweet memories which in turn help building up beautiful stories and fantasies.
But what they found was quite opposite to this belief. Most of the people involved in the study didn’t like it and thought it was hard.
To come up with a counter logic, the researchers wanted to find out “would they prefer negative stimulations to boredom?”
So they gave the participants access to a device that would provide a small electrical shock by pressing a button. It wasn’t a very strong shock, as the device was built around a 9 volt battery.
“But we weren’t even sure it was worth doing,” Wilson said. “I mean, no one was going to shock themselves by choice.”
But the end result was astonishing. Whereas 6 of the 24 women shocked themselves, 12 of the 18 men did so.
In other words, most men are more interested in seeking variety and stimulation than women are, even if that means getting 190 electric shocks in 15 minutes.
Jonathan Smallwood, a professor of psychology at the University of York who wasn’t involved in the study, said this result was not surprising though.
In today’s world, where there are countless distractions in the form of social networks and smart phone apps, this observation seems to be very obvious.
Both Wilson and Smallwood believe further investigations are required to understand this trait in a clearer way.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- The Mind is the Key in Female Orgasms: Research
- Super Model Andreja Pejic Confirms Identity As Transgender
- Complete Darkness at Night Key Brings Maximum Success of Breast Cancer Therapy: Latest Study Reveals
- 9 Tips For Surviving a Plane Crash
- 9/11 Cancer Collection Claims 2,500 Ground Zero Rescue Workers: All of Them Have Cancer Now
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal