Men Are Not Meant to Be Left Alone With Their Thoughts
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | July 8, 2014 2:52 PM EST
“To be with own thoughts” - most men just don’t get along with the idea, a recent survey revealed.
According to this report, about a quarter of women and two-thirds of men preferred electric shocks over their own company.
Men are not meant to be Left Alone with Their Thoughts.
Timothy Wilson, University of Virginia professor of psychology and lead author of the study, initially thought, out brain is full of bitter sweet memories which in turn help building up beautiful stories and fantasies.
But what they found was quite opposite to this belief. Most of the people involved in the study didn’t like it and thought it was hard.
To come up with a counter logic, the researchers wanted to find out “would they prefer negative stimulations to boredom?”
So they gave the participants access to a device that would provide a small electrical shock by pressing a button. It wasn’t a very strong shock, as the device was built around a 9 volt battery.
“But we weren’t even sure it was worth doing,” Wilson said. “I mean, no one was going to shock themselves by choice.”
But the end result was astonishing. Whereas 6 of the 24 women shocked themselves, 12 of the 18 men did so.
In other words, most men are more interested in seeking variety and stimulation than women are, even if that means getting 190 electric shocks in 15 minutes.
Jonathan Smallwood, a professor of psychology at the University of York who wasn’t involved in the study, said this result was not surprising though.
In today’s world, where there are countless distractions in the form of social networks and smart phone apps, this observation seems to be very obvious.
Both Wilson and Smallwood believe further investigations are required to understand this trait in a clearer way.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Heart Diseases Can Be Healed with Fat: Study Says
- HIV/AIDS Cure a Step Closer with Anti-Cancer Drugs 'Kicking' Virus Out of Infected Cells
- 232 Teeth Extracted from a Teenager: World Record
- Dwayne Johnson Talks About Overcoming Depression
- Johns Hopkins Hospital Agrees To Pay $190 Million To Settle Gynaecology Scandal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales