Men Are Not Meant to Be Left Alone With Their Thoughts
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | July 8, 2014 2:52 PM EST
“To be with own thoughts” - most men just don’t get along with the idea, a recent survey revealed.
According to this report, about a quarter of women and two-thirds of men preferred electric shocks over their own company.
Men are not meant to be Left Alone with Their Thoughts.
Timothy Wilson, University of Virginia professor of psychology and lead author of the study, initially thought, out brain is full of bitter sweet memories which in turn help building up beautiful stories and fantasies.
But what they found was quite opposite to this belief. Most of the people involved in the study didn’t like it and thought it was hard.
To come up with a counter logic, the researchers wanted to find out “would they prefer negative stimulations to boredom?”
So they gave the participants access to a device that would provide a small electrical shock by pressing a button. It wasn’t a very strong shock, as the device was built around a 9 volt battery.
“But we weren’t even sure it was worth doing,” Wilson said. “I mean, no one was going to shock themselves by choice.”
But the end result was astonishing. Whereas 6 of the 24 women shocked themselves, 12 of the 18 men did so.
In other words, most men are more interested in seeking variety and stimulation than women are, even if that means getting 190 electric shocks in 15 minutes.
Jonathan Smallwood, a professor of psychology at the University of York who wasn’t involved in the study, said this result was not surprising though.
In today’s world, where there are countless distractions in the form of social networks and smart phone apps, this observation seems to be very obvious.
Both Wilson and Smallwood believe further investigations are required to understand this trait in a clearer way.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- Taylor Swift's Famous Ex-Boyfriends: From Harry Styles To Joe Jonas [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sex In The City Actress Kim Cattrall Embraces Menopause
- A Baby Shot In The Head Due To Hunting Accident In Pennsylvania; Chances of Blindness
- Reasons Kate Middleton Cancelled Royal Duties: Weight Gain, Growing Baby Bump, Bloated Face
- An Apple A Day Keeps Obesity Away: Finds New Study
- Ebola Leaves Children Unwanted And Rejected: UNICEF Reports
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Available Through O2 For £380, Other Carriers To Follow Soon
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money