Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update for Samsung Galaxy S3 and Note 2: Top Things You Should Know About
By Ryan Inoyori | July 8, 2014 2:44 PM EST
New details have been revealed regarding the Android KitKat updates for Samsung Galaxy S3 4G and Galaxy Note 2 from different network carriers. Android 4.4.2 KitKat update seems to be delayed and waiting for Samsung to confirm testing phase. Here are the top things you should know about it.
Four network carriers around the world revealed essential details about the official Android 4.4 KitKat updates on Samsung Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2.
Based on the official post of SFR France, an update is scheduled for release on July 14 as a celebration to the French National Day. The update has the size of at least 500 MB with software build version N7100XXUFNE1_VFGFNF2_BUUFND2 and quoted the firmware as the "6th update" for the phablet.
SFR official change log:
- Passage from Android 4.3 to Android 4.4.2
- Immersive mode
- Speech recognition
- Improvements on the Contacts app
- Bluetooth MAP compatibility
- Improved multitasking
Vodafone Australia noted the upcoming Android 4.4 KitKat for Galaxy Note 2 but still awaiting for software testing with estimated time of arrival this month. It is the same status for the Galaxy S3 LTE I9305T in the country except there is no estimated time of arrival and awaits official confirmation from Samsung.
Optus Australia goes the same with Android 4.4 KitKat for Galaxy Note 2 N7105 and will commence testing phase as soon as Samsung makes it available. According to the Web site, Android KitKat update for Galaxy Note 2 from Optus is expected to be released publicly from mid to late July of 2014.
Telstra Australia Android 4.4 KitKat update for Galaxy Note 2 4G has been delayed and based on their site, "Samsung have further delayed test submission to a date TBC" and classified the firmware under "scheduling." Galaxy S3 4G and 3G models are not included on the list of devices expecting to get an update.
By default, Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9305 4G and Galaxy Note 2 are eligible to Android 4.4 KitKat. Both were released at the same time around September in 2012 with first anniversary celebrated in 2013. If following the conditions of 18-month software support, April 2014 should be the expiration date.
It is up to Samsung to push further updates such as Android 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 KitKat versions on both devices which can be very useful due to reported bugs found on the Android 4.4.2 KitKat. However, users must wait till the network carriers finish the testing phase which can only be confirmed by Samsung.
Android 4.4.4 KitKat Changes
Android 4.4.4 KitKat has one major role and it is related to the OpenSSL. According to Android Police, the update was released to fix the OpenSSL bug that allows a "man-in-the-middle" attack which can be linked to the distinct Heartbleed bug on Android 4.4.3 KitKat version.
Aside from that, Samsung will add several changes as well to improve performance, increase battery life and optimize system apps just like any other firmware updates. At this time, there are no official details if Samsung will feature unique services such as a new TouchWiz or exclusive apps from Galaxy S5 on Android 4.4.4 KitKat update.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Destiny': Apocalypse-Themed Sparrows, Pumpkin Head Weapons As Contents For Halloween
- Sony Xperia Z3, Xperia Z3 Compact Gets Certified For 23.0.1.A.1.43, Xperia Z3 Dual For 23.0.F.1.82
- 'World Of Warcraft' 6.0.3 Patch Hotfixes Update Including Hallow's End And The Latest Resolved Issues Regarding The 'WoW' User Interface, Classes, Dungeons, Raids and Scenarios
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire’ Gets A New Trailer And Hidden Demo Missions
- Check Out The ‘Halo: The Master Chief Collection’ Ranking, New Anniversary Trailer And Level Walkthroughs
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists