Viral Video of Makeup Artist Bethany Townsend's Colostomy Bag Gets 12.4 Million Views
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | July 8, 2014 2:05 PM EST
23-year-old Bethany Townsend has recently set up an example. This young talented makeup artist has posted her photo showing off the colostomy bag, which went soon viral over the Internet. There have been 12.4 million views of this particular photo till date.
A colostomy is known as a surgical procedure during which surgeons divert one end of the large intestine into a visible opening, termed as stoma on the patient’s abdomen. A small pouch, or colostomy bag, is then placed over the stoma to collect waste products that would normally pass through a person's rectum.
Colostomies and resulting colostomy bags are used to help patients who have problems with their colons. By diverting waste away, the colostomy bag can allow irritated or inflamed areas of the colon to heal. There are 110,000 people with Crohn’s in the UK, and 50 per cent of them may need surgery in the first 10 years after the onset of the disease.
Depending on the patient, it can be either permanent or temporary. The NHS estimates that around 6,400 permanent colostomies are carried out each year in the UK.
For some, it was an extremely tough decision, but now they feel they’ve got their life back because they’ve been so ill for so long. Others say “goodness me it has transformed my life because I don’t want to go out and talk to people, I worry about malfunctioning.”
"I'm just so glad that it's brought about more awareness of Crohn's disease and it's made me feel so much more confident about the colostomy bags," Bethany told the Mirror, adding that it was in Mexico she decided to wear a bikini for the first time since she has worn the bags.
David Barker, chief executive of Crohn’s and Colitis UK, after posting Townsend's photo on their Facebook page, showered heaps of praises on her and called her an “inspiring and brave young lady.”
He further added that “people have drawn inspiration from her. These [inflammatory bowel diseases] are not conditions that people want to talk about as they can be embarrassing. We are hugely impressed with the work she has been doing which says: 'This is me.'"
"Be proud of what you are. It's just another disease."
A message Bethany wants to spread. A message world needs to know.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Kendall Jenner's Secret To A Slim and Sexy Body: All About Her Diet And Fitness Routine [Watch Video]
- Study Reveals An Increase In Men Going In For "Moob" Surgery, For Almond Like Nipples Like David Beckham
- Sleep Deprivation Among Teens Is The Main Cause of Low Academic Performance, Bad Behaviour And Lethargy, Finds Study
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Pilgrimage To Mecca: The Latest Health and Travel Advice For Muslim Hajj And Umrah With Regard To MERS-CoV
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate