Viral Video of Makeup Artist Bethany Townsend's Colostomy Bag Gets 12.4 Million Views
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | July 8, 2014 2:05 PM EST
23-year-old Bethany Townsend has recently set up an example. This young talented makeup artist has posted her photo showing off the colostomy bag, which went soon viral over the Internet. There have been 12.4 million views of this particular photo till date.
A colostomy is known as a surgical procedure during which surgeons divert one end of the large intestine into a visible opening, termed as stoma on the patient’s abdomen. A small pouch, or colostomy bag, is then placed over the stoma to collect waste products that would normally pass through a person's rectum.
Colostomies and resulting colostomy bags are used to help patients who have problems with their colons. By diverting waste away, the colostomy bag can allow irritated or inflamed areas of the colon to heal. There are 110,000 people with Crohn’s in the UK, and 50 per cent of them may need surgery in the first 10 years after the onset of the disease.
Depending on the patient, it can be either permanent or temporary. The NHS estimates that around 6,400 permanent colostomies are carried out each year in the UK.
For some, it was an extremely tough decision, but now they feel they’ve got their life back because they’ve been so ill for so long. Others say “goodness me it has transformed my life because I don’t want to go out and talk to people, I worry about malfunctioning.”
"I'm just so glad that it's brought about more awareness of Crohn's disease and it's made me feel so much more confident about the colostomy bags," Bethany told the Mirror, adding that it was in Mexico she decided to wear a bikini for the first time since she has worn the bags.
David Barker, chief executive of Crohn’s and Colitis UK, after posting Townsend's photo on their Facebook page, showered heaps of praises on her and called her an “inspiring and brave young lady.”
He further added that “people have drawn inspiration from her. These [inflammatory bowel diseases] are not conditions that people want to talk about as they can be embarrassing. We are hugely impressed with the work she has been doing which says: 'This is me.'"
"Be proud of what you are. It's just another disease."
A message Bethany wants to spread. A message world needs to know.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- What Quinoa Is And Why It's Good For Weight Loss
- Kate Middleton: Duchess Of Cambridge's Beauty Secrets Revealed By Her Skin Specialist
- Home Flu Test Kit Available Soon
- Preterm Birth Complications Outranks Leading Causes Of Death In Young Children
- Bird Flu Update: European Union Commission Enforces Curbs On Poultry : UK Says It Is At Low Risk
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports
- Xiaomi to Kill Redmi 1S for More Redmi Notes
- New Zealand Dairy Industry Feels Bullish At Chinese President's Visit