Plan C: Dallas Mavericks Look to Pry Away Chandler Parsons from Texas Rivals Houston Rockets
By James Patrick Quizon | July 8, 2014 2:05 PM EST
Plan A was LeBron James and Plan B was Carmelo Anthony. As both big name free agents are most likely going elsewhere, the Dallas Mavericks are moving on with their free agency plans and are reportedly ready to tender an offer to forward Chandler Parsons of the Houston Rockets.
NBA: Playoffs-Portland Trail Blazers at Houston Rockets
Parsons is a restricted free agent (RFA), which means that his previous team, the Rockets, can match any offer by the Mavericks if they want to retain him.
That’s easier said than done for Houston however as they are also chasing another big name free agent in Anthony or from recent reports, Chris Bosh of the Miami Heat.
The Rockets’ team salary is already bear the projected $63M salary cap for 2014-2015 and that’s still not counting Parsons’ upcoming salary.
The Mavericks will most likely offer Chandler four-year max or near max deal worth around $50-$60M and that could be enough to discourage their Texas rivals from matching the offer for the 25-year-old shooter.
The Mavericks have recently re-signed veteran star Dirk Nowitzki to a bargain deal— roughly $10 million/year) and have re-acquired veteran center Tyson Chandler in a trade with the New York Knicks in the early part of the 2014 offseason but are in position to chase another FA in the market.
Parsons, who was a 2nd round steal (38th overall pick) in the 2011 NBA Draft, is looking for a big pay day after earning just less than a million a year in his first three seasons in the league.
Between the two Texas teams, Dallas can offer both huge money and a bigger role in the team’s offense.
The Mavs have an aging franchise player in Nowitzki plus combo guard Monta Ellis and Parsons can come in as an instant 2nd or 3rd option.
At the Rockets’ scheme of things, he’s already the 3rd option behind stars Dwight Howard and James Harden. If Anthony or Bosh joins Houston, Parsons will be moved further down the line.
Parsons averaged 16.6 points, 5.5 rebounds and 4.0 assists in 74 games for the Rockets last season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Serena Williams and Rumoured Boyfriend Patrick Mouratoglou Spotted on a Date in NYC
- UFC President Dana White Says He is Very Excited for Anderson Silva’s Comeback in January
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Claims that Fabregas will Play Best Football Under Him
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists