NBA News: Channing Frye Signs with Orlando Magic for $32M/4 Years
By James Patrick Quizon | July 8, 2014 1:18 PM EST
The Orlando Magic are done tanking and are now filling up their roster with serviceable veterans in hopes of making a playoff push in the 2014-2015 NBA season. The Florida franchise has added Channing Frye to their roster offering the versatile big man a $32 million contract over four years.
Jun 26, 2014; Brooklyn, NY, USA; Aaron Gordon (Arizona) shakes hands with NBA commissioner Adam Silver after being selected as the number four overall pick to the Orlando Magic in the 2014 NBA Draft at the Barclays Center.
The 31-year-old has career averages of 9.9 points and 5.2 rebounds in 8 NBA seasons playing for the New York Knicks, Portland Trail Blazers and Phoenix Suns.
Frye’s true value to all of those teams however comes with his style of play. Considered a “Stretch 4”, his range extends to the three-point line, a valuable commodity in the league today especially from a 6-foot-11 big man.
In his last season with the Suns, which made an impressive run at a playoffs spot in the tough Western Conference last season, Frye averaged 11.1 PPG and 5.1 RPG with two 3-pointers per game at 37.0% three-point shooting.
Earlier in the 2014 offseason, Orlando also committed to signing veteran shooter Ben Gordon.
The addition of both veterans should pave well for the development of its young guys. Key upstarts for the Magic include 22-year-old combo guard Victor Oladipo, 23-year-old center Nikola Vucevic, 21-year-old forward Tobias Harris.
In this offseason, they also acquired 21-year-old shooter Evan Fournier in a trade with the Denver Nuggets and got 20 year-old point guard Elfrid Payton and 18-year-old forward Aaron Gordon in the 2014 NBA Draft.
With such a young roster, the Magic needed a veteran like Frye who will serve as a mentor/leader for these young guys.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop