NBA News: Channing Frye Signs with Orlando Magic for $32M/4 Years
By James Patrick Quizon | July 8, 2014 1:18 PM EST
The Orlando Magic are done tanking and are now filling up their roster with serviceable veterans in hopes of making a playoff push in the 2014-2015 NBA season. The Florida franchise has added Channing Frye to their roster offering the versatile big man a $32 million contract over four years.
Jun 26, 2014; Brooklyn, NY, USA; Aaron Gordon (Arizona) shakes hands with NBA commissioner Adam Silver after being selected as the number four overall pick to the Orlando Magic in the 2014 NBA Draft at the Barclays Center.
The 31-year-old has career averages of 9.9 points and 5.2 rebounds in 8 NBA seasons playing for the New York Knicks, Portland Trail Blazers and Phoenix Suns.
Frye’s true value to all of those teams however comes with his style of play. Considered a “Stretch 4”, his range extends to the three-point line, a valuable commodity in the league today especially from a 6-foot-11 big man.
In his last season with the Suns, which made an impressive run at a playoffs spot in the tough Western Conference last season, Frye averaged 11.1 PPG and 5.1 RPG with two 3-pointers per game at 37.0% three-point shooting.
Earlier in the 2014 offseason, Orlando also committed to signing veteran shooter Ben Gordon.
The addition of both veterans should pave well for the development of its young guys. Key upstarts for the Magic include 22-year-old combo guard Victor Oladipo, 23-year-old center Nikola Vucevic, 21-year-old forward Tobias Harris.
In this offseason, they also acquired 21-year-old shooter Evan Fournier in a trade with the Denver Nuggets and got 20 year-old point guard Elfrid Payton and 18-year-old forward Aaron Gordon in the 2014 NBA Draft.
With such a young roster, the Magic needed a veteran like Frye who will serve as a mentor/leader for these young guys.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best