Microsoft Surface Mini Reported to Have Been Cancelled
By Sovan Mandal | July 8, 2014 12:45 PM EST
Microsoft Surface Mini might have been dealt a premature death if a report to this effect on Digitimes is to be believed. According to the report, Microsoft has reportedly cancelled the project at the last moment. Experts have cited fierce competition in the segment as the possible reason that might have forced the Redmond based company to pull the plug on the device. The report further claimed that all development work with the Surface Mini was complete and its spec sheet frozen. The stage was set for mass production of the device though unfortunately, Microsoft seems to have other ideas.
A shadow of a man using his mobile phone is cast near Microsoft logo at the 2014 Computex exhibition in Taipei June 4, 2014. Computex, the world's second largest computer show, runs from June 3 to 7.
Sources with Digitimes further claimed that the Surface Mini lacked the oomph factor that would have justified introducing the tablet that otherwise is dominated by heavyweights like the iPad Mini, the Google Nexus and the Amazon Kindle Fire HDX. Microsoft may have been saved from a severe drubbing in the hands of these had they pressed ahead with the launch.
The tablet too is believed to lack anything special. While a detailed specification is missing, what is known is that it features a 7.5-8 inch display and packed an ARM chip. The latter bit brings Windows RT into the picture which has never had a good run in the market. Perhaps, a Surface Mini running Windows 8.1 would have made for a better proposition.
Microsoft had earlier announced the Surface Pro 3 in an event which many had otherwise believed will yield the Surface Mini. However, none would have expected a complete annihilation of the project just a few weeks down the line.
However, what is not known at this moment is whether the Surface Mini stands cancelled or has just been relegated to the deep freezer for the time being. We have already seen a slew of tablet launches earlier all featuring an 8 inch display, Intel chip and Windows 8.1 OS. However, none of these has particularly done too well either.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates