Android L Firmware Update: Devices to Receive New Android Soon After Official Google Release
By Ryan Inoyori | July 8, 2014 12:20 PM EST
Android L update is heading over several devices upon its official launching. HTC One M8 and M7, OnePlus One, Nexus devices including unofficial image file, Moto X and Moto G roadmaps exposed by sources.
HTC One M8 and One M7
XDA recognised contributor and leakster LlabTooFeR leaked out the roadmap of HTC Android updates for One M8 and One M7 smartphones. According to XDA, HTC One M8 and M7 are likely to jump straight to Android 4.4.4 KitKat from the previously reported Android 4.4.3 version with HTC Sense 6.0 UI.
Android 4.4.4 KitKat update for the two smartphones is expected to rollout between July and August. Moreover, other HTC devices such as One E8, One Mini 2 and One Dual SIM which were not scheduled before for Android 4.4.3 and Sense 6.0 will now get it sometime in August and September.
However, some older devices like Butterfly S or Desire 816 may not receive the same firmware update for the devices mentioned above.
Android L update for HTC One M8 and M7 is set to rollout within 90 days after the official release from Google.
Moto X and G Android L Update
Two smartphones from Motorola are likely to receive Android L update even the firmware is still under developer preview stage. Based on the report of GSMArena, customer support of Motorola claims that Moto X and Moto G will definitely receive an Android L update. Moto E official status remains unknown at this time.
Recently, Motorola rolled out the Android 4.4.3 KitKat update for the three smartphones and noted that Moto E will have another update soon.
Unfortunately, there is no definitive time yet regarding the release date since Android L firmware remains under developer preview stage.
OnePlus One Android L
OnePlus One is another smartphone which will receive Android L based on the information from BGR. According to the site, OnePlus has confirmed that OnePlus One smartphone official Android L update is set for release around fall this year.
"So a lot - I mean, a lot - of people are asking about whether we'll be getting on the Android L train. It was announced while I was asleep and when I got back to work the morning after, there were already a bunch of forum posts and (strangely) customer support requests about it. We'll, we're keen to announce today that the OnePlus One will indeed be getting the L treatment. When you? That depends on Google. We promise to have it done within three months of their releasing a final build," a staff member posted at OnePlus official forum page.
Both Google Play Edition and Nexus devices are expected to get the first-hand treatment once Google pushes the Android L officially. At this time, Android L is still under developer preview and may take a few months to rollout for commercial use.
However, users must take note that some of these devices may not receive the official update due to 18-month software support expiration date such as the case on LG Nexus 4 and ASUS Nexus 7 2012.
Some sources have been able to port the developer preview of Android L for both devices which also contains certain bugs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- PS4 vs. Xbox One Games: The Last of Us Remastered Photo Mode Leaked Shots; Halo: Master Chief Collection Detailed
- Dragon Age 3 Inquisition Romance: Cassandra Pentaghast, Dorian, Cullen, Sera, Iron Bull and Josephine Montilyet
- The SIMS 4 Official System Requirements Reveal Low Spec Demands; Release Date on September 2
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N9005 Official Android 4.4.2 KitKat XXUFNF4 Firmware Manual Installation
- Disney Infinity 2.0: Marvel Super Heroes Release Date, Features Marvel's Guardians Of The Galaxy Play Set
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]