Android L Firmware Update: Devices to Receive New Android Soon After Official Google Release
By Ryan Inoyori | July 8, 2014 12:20 PM EST
Android L update is heading over several devices upon its official launching. HTC One M8 and M7, OnePlus One, Nexus devices including unofficial image file, Moto X and Moto G roadmaps exposed by sources.
HTC One M8 and One M7
XDA recognised contributor and leakster LlabTooFeR leaked out the roadmap of HTC Android updates for One M8 and One M7 smartphones. According to XDA, HTC One M8 and M7 are likely to jump straight to Android 4.4.4 KitKat from the previously reported Android 4.4.3 version with HTC Sense 6.0 UI.
Android 4.4.4 KitKat update for the two smartphones is expected to rollout between July and August. Moreover, other HTC devices such as One E8, One Mini 2 and One Dual SIM which were not scheduled before for Android 4.4.3 and Sense 6.0 will now get it sometime in August and September.
However, some older devices like Butterfly S or Desire 816 may not receive the same firmware update for the devices mentioned above.
Android L update for HTC One M8 and M7 is set to rollout within 90 days after the official release from Google.
Moto X and G Android L Update
Two smartphones from Motorola are likely to receive Android L update even the firmware is still under developer preview stage. Based on the report of GSMArena, customer support of Motorola claims that Moto X and Moto G will definitely receive an Android L update. Moto E official status remains unknown at this time.
Recently, Motorola rolled out the Android 4.4.3 KitKat update for the three smartphones and noted that Moto E will have another update soon.
Unfortunately, there is no definitive time yet regarding the release date since Android L firmware remains under developer preview stage.
OnePlus One Android L
OnePlus One is another smartphone which will receive Android L based on the information from BGR. According to the site, OnePlus has confirmed that OnePlus One smartphone official Android L update is set for release around fall this year.
"So a lot - I mean, a lot - of people are asking about whether we'll be getting on the Android L train. It was announced while I was asleep and when I got back to work the morning after, there were already a bunch of forum posts and (strangely) customer support requests about it. We'll, we're keen to announce today that the OnePlus One will indeed be getting the L treatment. When you? That depends on Google. We promise to have it done within three months of their releasing a final build," a staff member posted at OnePlus official forum page.
Both Google Play Edition and Nexus devices are expected to get the first-hand treatment once Google pushes the Android L officially. At this time, Android L is still under developer preview and may take a few months to rollout for commercial use.
However, users must take note that some of these devices may not receive the official update due to 18-month software support expiration date such as the case on LG Nexus 4 and ASUS Nexus 7 2012.
Some sources have been able to port the developer preview of Android L for both devices which also contains certain bugs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- More ‘FIFA 15’ Issues Found in Companion App And Luis Suarez Ban; A PS4 Physical Disc Bundle Spotted
- Get Invite Codes to Ello the Social Networking Site That Is Viral On the Internet
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire’ Demo Distribution Method For Australia Revealed, More Info Coming
- ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity’ And ‘Rogue’: New Trailer Shows Off Customisation As Rogue PC Version Gets Spotted In UPlay
- 'Super Smash Bros' For Nintendo 3DS XL Can Hamper Gaming Experience Due To More Resistant Circle Pad
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate