Children With Autism Can Develop Communication Skills With The Help of iPads and Computer Tablets
By Afza Fathima | July 8, 2014 10:48 AM EST
Autistic children can develop their social communication skills by using computer tablets as part of their treatment, suggests a new study by the University of California in the United States, whose results were published in the 'Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry.
Autistic children take part in the Horse Therapy Special Children program in Bangkok June 17, 2014
Sixty one children, between the ages of five and eight suffering from autism spectrum disorder, were given access to an iPad as part of their language and social communication treatment. A positive effect was seen on the children's communication skills during the course of the research.
Two groups, one which used iPads and the other who did not, were researched for a period of three months, in which they had two sessions of one and a half hours every week. It was seen that 78 per cent of those who used the iPad showed an improvement in the number of spoken words and the use of new words, said Connie Kasari, professor of human development at the University of California, Los Angeles' Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior.
Kasari explained that they focused on helping the children initiate conversations, using the iPad to comment on what they were doing and that the iPad worked because it is a visual stimulant with auditory feedback. Kasari's team noted that the iPad is just a tool and that if it has to work to help the children, they must use it in conjunction with their treatment.
Attending physician at the Cohen Children's Medical Centre, Dr. Ruth Milanaik, said, "The idea of using an iPad is a novel approach. The idea of technology being used to help children who really need different approaches is so important."
Because of the success of the research, Kasari and her team plan to introduce the use of iPads in programs in schools.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting in Australia: A Mysterious 'Flying' Object With Changing Colors Observed[Watch Video]
- Artificial Micro-Humans to Replace Animals in Lab Tests: 90 Million Animal Lives Would be Saved
- Images Of Solar Flare Captured By NASA [Watch Video]
- Volatile Volcanoes Are Waking Up
- Danish Authorities Are Being Complicit In Brutal Slaughtering Of Pilot Whales: Charlie Sheen; An Australian Arrested
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display