Children With Autism Can Develop Communication Skills With The Help of iPads and Computer Tablets
By Afza Fathima | July 8, 2014 10:48 AM EST
Autistic children can develop their social communication skills by using computer tablets as part of their treatment, suggests a new study by the University of California in the United States, whose results were published in the 'Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry.
Autistic children take part in the Horse Therapy Special Children program in Bangkok June 17, 2014
Sixty one children, between the ages of five and eight suffering from autism spectrum disorder, were given access to an iPad as part of their language and social communication treatment. A positive effect was seen on the children's communication skills during the course of the research.
Two groups, one which used iPads and the other who did not, were researched for a period of three months, in which they had two sessions of one and a half hours every week. It was seen that 78 per cent of those who used the iPad showed an improvement in the number of spoken words and the use of new words, said Connie Kasari, professor of human development at the University of California, Los Angeles' Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior.
Kasari explained that they focused on helping the children initiate conversations, using the iPad to comment on what they were doing and that the iPad worked because it is a visual stimulant with auditory feedback. Kasari's team noted that the iPad is just a tool and that if it has to work to help the children, they must use it in conjunction with their treatment.
Attending physician at the Cohen Children's Medical Centre, Dr. Ruth Milanaik, said, "The idea of using an iPad is a novel approach. The idea of technology being used to help children who really need different approaches is so important."
Because of the success of the research, Kasari and her team plan to introduce the use of iPads in programs in schools.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- HIV Cure: First Effective Cure to Have Long-Term Remission; 3 Factors to Check on Inactive Virus
- Coming Soon: AntiViral Gel in Condoms to Kill HIV Virus
- Melbourne Man Gives Up Sex For a Year; Donates £50,000 in Charity
- FDA Prioritises Review of ‘Abuse-Deterrent’ Painkiller
- Tree of 40 Fruit: A Tree That Produces 40 Fruits in New York
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June