Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. HTC One Mini 2 – Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Faceoff
By Pavithra Rathinavel | July 8, 2014 10:45 AM EST
Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini was announced in June and the expected release date is slated for July. Also, this smartphone comes with top features spotted in 2014 flagship Galaxy S5. The HTC One Mini 2, meanwhile, was expected to be released in May, but that did not happen. Nevertheless, this handset also mirrors the bigger counterpart HTC One M8. Readers who are interested in purchasing the upcoming Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini or the HTC One Mini 2 should check out this specifications and price comparison.
An employee of Samsung Electronics walks past the company main office in Seoul in this April 6, 2010 file photo. Samsung Electronics Co Ltd is emerging as a major player in its local debt market, buying more South Korean-issued bonds as it juggles a $60 billion cash pile. Samsung's push into private bank debt and government bonds underscores the challenges faced by the electronics giant in managing its massive cash holdings, with local banks reluctant to overload on short-term deposits from Samsung. REUTERS/Lee Jae-Won
Foxconn to Employ Robots to Assist with iPhone 6 Assembly; New Design Renders Show Gold, Gray and Silver iPhone 6
Display, Exterior and Size
Both HTC One Mini 2 and Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini feature the same 4.5 inches display with 720 x 1,280 pixels screen resolution. In addition, both the phones share the same pixel density of 326 ppi. The display technology pertaining to Samsung and HTC devices are Super AMOLED and Super LCD2 capacitive touchscreen respectively.
The slightly curved rear of the HTC One Mini 2 has a brushed aluminium finish and provides the much-loved premium look of the bigger HTC One M8. However, HTC's 2014 flagship One M8 comes with a full-aluminium unibody, while the compact version One Mini 2 has plastic corners. The Galaxy S5 Mini, on the other hand, sports the same perforated plastic rear and the glossy but fake metal band along the corners of Samsung Galaxy S5. Hence, the HTC handset clearly shines in this area. Additionally, both the handsets come with Corning Gorilla Glass 3 protection.
The thickness and the weight of Galaxy S5 Mini are 0.36 inches and 120 g respectively, whereas the HTC One Mini 2 is 0.42 inches thick and weighs 137 g. Therefore, the Galaxy S5 Mini is comparatively lighter and thinner than the One Mini 2.
Under the Hood
HTC One Mini 2 is powered by a quad-core (Qualcomm Snapdragon 400) Cortex-A7 processor, clocked at 1.2 GHz and it comes with 1 GB of RAM. The Galaxy S5 Mini, on the other hand, is powered by a quad-core (Exynos 3 Quad chipset) Cortex-A7 CPU, clocked at 1.4 GHz. Also, the handset houses a relatively better 1.5 GB of RAM.
Both the phones come with 16 GB of internal memory and they support microSD card for further expansion. However, the expansion limit of Galaxy S5 Mini and HTC One Mini 2 are 64 GB and 128 GB respectively.
Camera and Battery
The HTC One Mini 2 sports a whopping 13 MP rear-facing camera with LED Flash and a 5 MP front-facing camera, while the Galaxy S5 Mini houses a relatively inferior 8 MP primary camera with LED flash and a 2.1 MP secondary camera unit.
Additionally, the HTC handset houses a good Li-Ion 2110 mAh (non-removable) battery unit, whereas the Galaxy S5 Mini houses a similar Li-Ion 2100 mAh (user-replaceable) battery unit.
Connectivity, SIM and Colour
Both the phones support Bluetooth v4.0, Wi-Fi, LTE, and microUSB slots. While the Samsung handset supports micro-sim, the HTC device supports nano-sim. In addition, both the phones support NFC.
The Galaxy S5 Mini comes in charcoal black, shimmery white, electric blue and copper gold. The One Mini 2 handset, on the other hand, comes in gunmetal gray, glacial silver and amber gold.
1. The Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini handset is IP67 certified, which translates to featuring water and dust resistant body.
2. In addition, the Galaxy S5 Mini is equipped with fingerprint scanner and heart-rate monitor, while the HTC One Mini 2 doesn't.
3. Also, the Galaxy S5 Mini sports Ultra Power Saving Mode, Kids Mode, Private Mode, and KNOX, to name a few.
The HTC One Mini 2 with powerful specs is priced at €470, which roughly translates to US$638 or AU$682, says GSMArena. Also, the expected price range of Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini 2 is US$550 or AU$650, according to TechRadar.
Nexus 6 vs. Samsung Galaxy S5 - Early Specifications, Features and Price Showdown
Nexus 8 vs. Nexus 7 - Early Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown
OnePlus One vs. LG G3: Specifications, Features and Price Comparison
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build