Croc in NSW Zoo Bites Hand of Caretaker Who Feeds it Daily as 60 Horrified Visitors Watch
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 8, 2014 8:53 AM EST
The adage that condemns a person who bites the hand the feeds him is applicable to what a saltwater crocodile at the Shoahaven Zoo in New South Wales did to its caretaker on Sunday noon.
Reports said that the reptile, named John, bit the hand of its caretaker, Trent Burton, as he was giving the croc a piece of meat and then dragged him to the water. The man had been the 3.7-metre beast's feeder and caretaker for the past 10 years.
Snake Eats Crocodile after a Battle in Australia
Fortunately, John released his hold on Burton's hand when he flipped and landed on his fierce pet. All of these were happening as about 60 terrified zoo visitors witnessed the gruesome event.
Although the 31-year-old zookeeper was bleeding profusely, paramedics said his wounds were minor, but he was brought to the Shoalhaven district hospital where he was already in stable condition as of Sunday night. Doctors are still examining if the croc caused internal damages to the trainer's hand.
Reports also said that Burton had puncture marks on his right arms. His finger are intact but may require some stitches.
Zoo authorities said they would review their procedures as a result of the croc attack.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- HIV Cure: First Effective Cure to Have Long-Term Remission; 3 Factors to Check on Inactive Virus
- Coming Soon: AntiViral Gel in Condoms to Kill HIV Virus
- Melbourne Man Gives Up Sex For a Year; Donates £50,000 in Charity
- FDA Prioritises Review of ‘Abuse-Deterrent’ Painkiller
- Rapid Rise in Flu; Hospitals in New Zealand Struggle
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air