Croc in NSW Zoo Bites Hand of Caretaker Who Feeds it Daily as 60 Horrified Visitors Watch
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 8, 2014 8:53 AM EST
The adage that condemns a person who bites the hand the feeds him is applicable to what a saltwater crocodile at the Shoahaven Zoo in New South Wales did to its caretaker on Sunday noon.
Reports said that the reptile, named John, bit the hand of its caretaker, Trent Burton, as he was giving the croc a piece of meat and then dragged him to the water. The man had been the 3.7-metre beast's feeder and caretaker for the past 10 years.
Snake Eats Crocodile after a Battle in Australia
Fortunately, John released his hold on Burton's hand when he flipped and landed on his fierce pet. All of these were happening as about 60 terrified zoo visitors witnessed the gruesome event.
Although the 31-year-old zookeeper was bleeding profusely, paramedics said his wounds were minor, but he was brought to the Shoalhaven district hospital where he was already in stable condition as of Sunday night. Doctors are still examining if the croc caused internal damages to the trainer's hand.
Reports also said that Burton had puncture marks on his right arms. His finger are intact but may require some stitches.
Zoo authorities said they would review their procedures as a result of the croc attack.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Enhanced Footage Of NASA's Tether Incident Proves Aliens Exist, Say UFO Believers And Experts [Watch Video]
- Fung-Wong More Like Ketsana Than Haiyan; Kills 1, Displaces 470,000 Filipinos & Paralyses Metro Manila
- Asteroid That Killed Dinosaurs Are Responsible For A Greener Earth
- It’s Haiyan All Over Again As Philippines Grapples With Heavy Rain, Floods
- Increase In Hepatitis Death Rate Forces Authorities To Act Quickly
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown