Shellfish Toxins Halt Oyster Production
By Smitha Nambiar | July 8, 2014 8:10 AM EST
Two oyster growers have temporarily stopped harvesting the molluscs after initial tests confirmed high level of toxins in the shellfish on Tasmania's east coast. They have to wait for further testing that will be carried out on July 11.
Health authorities have sent out a warning after an increased level of hazardous toxins were found in oysters from Norfolk Bay and the Great Oyster Bay area.
Stuart Heggie, state manager for environmental health at the Tasmanian Health Department, said there were no reports or incidents of paralytic toxins and the presence of the harmful substances was revealed during a routine testing.
Heggie added none of the toxic shellfish was sent to the market. But he was quick to note two oyster growers in the Great Oyster Bay area will have to stop their harvest until the level of toxins come down.
Regarding the symptoms after being infected with the fatalistic toxins, Stuart said, "Symptoms include a tingling in the mouth, you get pins and needles in your arms and legs and you can be a little unsteady, and a bit of nausea to go with it."
Echoing the opinion of Heggie with regard to suspending the harvest of the shellfish, Neil Stump from the Seafood Industry Council said, "They have to cease production and can't sell any product so it will impact directly on them." Stump further added, "Other growers in the adjacent areas, where we've also detected the presence of this algae, are on a watch and alert at this stage."
The Tasmanian oyster industry has seen several such setbacks. In 2013, the outbreak of Norovirus or an extremely contagious virus that can infect anyone led to 60 people falling ill after consuming oysters. Apart from that, the algal bloom in 2012 also had a negative effect on the oyster industry in the area.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Alien Mystery: The Most Famous Unexplained Alien Abduction Cases (Watch Video)
- University of Waterloo U Study Recommends Best Sex Positions To Ease Back Pain During Lovemaking
- Aurora Borealis Paints A Beautiful Picture On The Northern Skies [Watch Video]
- West Seattle Man Accuses Stranger Obese Woman Of Rape While He Was Asleep
- Lady Gaga Wants David Bowie To Perform With Her In Space
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date