Shellfish Toxins Halt Oyster Production
By Smitha Nambiar | July 8, 2014 8:10 AM EST
Two oyster growers have temporarily stopped harvesting the molluscs after initial tests confirmed high level of toxins in the shellfish on Tasmania's east coast. They have to wait for further testing that will be carried out on July 11.
Health authorities have sent out a warning after an increased level of hazardous toxins were found in oysters from Norfolk Bay and the Great Oyster Bay area.
Stuart Heggie, state manager for environmental health at the Tasmanian Health Department, said there were no reports or incidents of paralytic toxins and the presence of the harmful substances was revealed during a routine testing.
Heggie added none of the toxic shellfish was sent to the market. But he was quick to note two oyster growers in the Great Oyster Bay area will have to stop their harvest until the level of toxins come down.
Regarding the symptoms after being infected with the fatalistic toxins, Stuart said, "Symptoms include a tingling in the mouth, you get pins and needles in your arms and legs and you can be a little unsteady, and a bit of nausea to go with it."
Echoing the opinion of Heggie with regard to suspending the harvest of the shellfish, Neil Stump from the Seafood Industry Council said, "They have to cease production and can't sell any product so it will impact directly on them." Stump further added, "Other growers in the adjacent areas, where we've also detected the presence of this algae, are on a watch and alert at this stage."
The Tasmanian oyster industry has seen several such setbacks. In 2013, the outbreak of Norovirus or an extremely contagious virus that can infect anyone led to 60 people falling ill after consuming oysters. Apart from that, the algal bloom in 2012 also had a negative effect on the oyster industry in the area.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Climate Change Is Eating Away The Great Barrier Reef
- Papua New Guinea’s Mount Tavurvur Erupts, Qantas Reroutes Flights
- Two Moons Hoax Surfaces Again: Debunked By Scientists, Twitter Explodes With Reactions
- Underground Eruption of A Volcano Noticed As Powerful Earthquakes Rock Iceland
- Tiny Beads Found In Shampoo And Exfoliants Are A Threat to the Sydney Harbour
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 New Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 Update Guide