Microsoft Enters Wearable Devices Market With Fitness Tracker
By Kalyan Kumar | July 8, 2014 1:49 AM EST
Microsoft is reportedly getting ready with its own wearable device. Tech Radar has confirmed the software giant is all set to enter wearables market with a wristband and not a smartwatch.
The band will function as a fitness tracker and record data such as the amount of calories burned by the wearer and the heart rate. A slew of fitness-oriented apps are available from Microsoft. They include Bing Health and Fitness and Healthvault. It is expected that the band will also work with all third-party apps. This wearable fitness band will be compatible with iOS, Android platforms and Windows. It will display timely notifications from the user's smartphone, Thurrott noted.
The formal announcement about the band is expected by the fourth quarter. It will be a launch for the last quarter of the year. According to reports, the pricing will be similar to Samsung Galaxy Gear and may be in the range of $300.
Analysts see the entry of Microsoft in the wearables market with a pan-platform product/application as very significant. It is line with the demands of the digital consumers. They are not interested in the application brand, but are fiercely focused on the functionality of the application. Microsoft will be offering cross-platform capabilities in its product which is certainly a significant step.
The new approach of cross-platform capability reflects the view of Chief Executive Satya Nadella who has very less emphasis on Microsoft-exclusive platforms and is an advocate of heterogeneity, Roger Kay, a tech analyst, said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports