Transfer News: AS Monaco Defender Abidal Joins Greek Champions Olympiacos
By Mark Wayne Eubank | July 7, 2014 11:37 PM EST
Eric Abidal announced his move to Greek Champions Olympiacos from his boyhood club AS Monaco.
The former Barcelona man, who underwent a liver transplant in 2012, cited that playing at the apex of club football was his primary consideration in making the switch.
"For me, it was an aim to be able to play in the Champions League," the Frenchman told uefa.com.
"It's a new country and a league I don't know, but Olympiacos are a big club who have ambition and who want to win things. My job is to bring my experience to this team and help them as best I can to win more trophies."
"I know the supporters here are crazy, but I like that; it's a good sort of crazy, because it pushes the team on and helps us achieve things."
"The fans will be very important in helping us win the difficult matches."
The Red-Whites made it past the group stages last season and were on the brink of making it through to the quarter-finals after a 2-0 victory against Manchester United in the first leg, but ultimately fell short as the Red Devils were able to bounce back with a 3-0 thrashing in the return leg.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Grigor Dimitrov Turns To Novak Djokovic For Love Advice; Dimitrov and Sharapova At The 2014 China Open
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate