Transfer News: AS Monaco Defender Abidal Joins Greek Champions Olympiacos
By Mark Wayne Eubank | July 7, 2014 11:37 PM EST
Eric Abidal announced his move to Greek Champions Olympiacos from his boyhood club AS Monaco.
The former Barcelona man, who underwent a liver transplant in 2012, cited that playing at the apex of club football was his primary consideration in making the switch.
"For me, it was an aim to be able to play in the Champions League," the Frenchman told uefa.com.
"It's a new country and a league I don't know, but Olympiacos are a big club who have ambition and who want to win things. My job is to bring my experience to this team and help them as best I can to win more trophies."
"I know the supporters here are crazy, but I like that; it's a good sort of crazy, because it pushes the team on and helps us achieve things."
"The fans will be very important in helping us win the difficult matches."
The Red-Whites made it past the group stages last season and were on the brink of making it through to the quarter-finals after a 2-0 victory against Manchester United in the first leg, but ultimately fell short as the Red Devils were able to bounce back with a 3-0 thrashing in the return leg.
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr On Manny Pacquiao: 'He Must Know He's Not Going To Win
- For Mayweather, The Prize Comes First, Not The Fans
- Serena Williams On Caroline Wozniacki’s Friendship:’I Have Had A Love For Caroline From The Day I Met Her’
- NFL News: Chicago Bears Likely To Fire Head Coach Marc Trestman At End Of NFL Season
- NBA Trade Discussions ‘Tremendous’; 10 Teams Including Rockets, Clippers and Hornets Active For Probable Deals—NBA Insider