Transfer News: AS Monaco Defender Abidal Joins Greek Champions Olympiacos
By Mark Wayne Eubank | July 7, 2014 11:37 PM EST
Eric Abidal announced his move to Greek Champions Olympiacos from his boyhood club AS Monaco.
The former Barcelona man, who underwent a liver transplant in 2012, cited that playing at the apex of club football was his primary consideration in making the switch.
"For me, it was an aim to be able to play in the Champions League," the Frenchman told uefa.com.
"It's a new country and a league I don't know, but Olympiacos are a big club who have ambition and who want to win things. My job is to bring my experience to this team and help them as best I can to win more trophies."
"I know the supporters here are crazy, but I like that; it's a good sort of crazy, because it pushes the team on and helps us achieve things."
"The fans will be very important in helping us win the difficult matches."
The Red-Whites made it past the group stages last season and were on the brink of making it through to the quarter-finals after a 2-0 victory against Manchester United in the first leg, but ultimately fell short as the Red Devils were able to bounce back with a 3-0 thrashing in the return leg.
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports