Asus Memo Pad 8 Starts at $199
By Naveena Joy | July 7, 2014 4:50 PM EST
The Asus Memo Pad 8 comes at a very low price, starting at $199, and includes a new user interface, useful apps and features. It is also considered to be a "slick" entry in the budget tablet category.
At such a low starting price, the tablet has some amazing software features which are packed into a cool and comfortable package. But in terms of specs, the Asus Memo Pad 8 lags behind in the budget tablet race.
The Asus Memo Pad 8 is preloaded with apps including the calibration software and an audio-enhancement app. The device also come with 2 years of free cloud storage via WebStorage.
The tablet includes a new Zen user interface. According to CNET, the Zen interface provides a "trendy flat design." It also includes many customisation options and software like Asus' set of apps.
The device also runs the Splendid app and AudioWizard tool. The Splendid app helps users adjust the Asus Memo Pad 8's screen easily. Meanwhile, the AudioWizard tool optimises the device's audio quality.
However, the device has one major shortcoming in terms of performance. If many apps are running at the same time, the touchscreen will respond slowly after being asleep.
CNET also calls the 8-inch Asus Memo Pad a "slick" and very lightweight contender in the budget tablet category. The site adds the tablet's rounded edges and corners make it comfortable to hold with one hand and without over-stretching the fingers. CNET adds the device's thinly woven texture at the back provides grip support and is comfortably solid compared to other budget tablets.
The review also thinks slim bezels on the left and right of the device give the Asus Memo Pad 8 a high-end look, especially when holding it vertically. At the same time, the source adds that the top and bottom bezels are thicker in order to provide space for watching videos in landscape orientation.
The micro-USB port and headphone jack are located at the top, the power button is placed below and the volume rocker on the top right edge. Meanwhile, the microSD card slot, which is expandable up to 64 GB, is on the left edge of the tablet.
A single speaker, which is stretched across the bottom edge, can be found at the back of the tablet. The speaker's placement makes it easy to block sound while holding it in the landscape direction, according to CNET. But the source adds that when placed on a flat surface, the speaker's location helps amplify sound, although not much.
The Asus Memo Pad 8 is available in dark blue with matte finish, black, white and purple.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- ‘Minecraft PS Vita,’ PS4 And Xbox One Updates And More On The Microsoft Deal
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Confirmed With Demo, More Info Revealed
- 'Dragon Age Inquisition': Three Classes Confirmed—Warrior, Mage And Rogue Abilities Exposed
- 'The Sims 4' Mods: Buff Emotion Changes, Pay Very Low Bills And Enable Advanced Debug For Cheats
- iPhone 6 Plus Sold Out Apple Store Crash Due to Pre-orders: Where to Place Your Orders and the Packages Offered in the US and UK
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date