MMA News: UFC President Dana White Upset on Rhonda Rousey Next Fight Controversy
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 7, 2014 4:40 PM EST
Just 16 seconds after completely annihilating Alexis Davis at UFC 175, the defending bantamweight champion was put in an uncomfortable spot.
Jul 5, 2014; Las Vegas, NV, USA; Ronda Rousey (red gloves) celebrates her victory over Alexis Davis during the first round of their bantamweight fight at Mandalay Bay Events Center.
In the post-fight interview, Rhonda Rousey was asked by commentator Joe Rogen if she is amenable to stepping into the Octagon in a span of three weeks at UFC 176 to fill in for the cancelled Jose Aldo and Chad Medes featherweight title rematch. After tallying the second fastest time in UFC history to win via knockout, Rousey was clearly surprised by the query of her readiness to go again. However, she explained that she would do it if UFC asked her to but would rather rest and go through a planned knee surgery.
The surprising and mistimed question caught the ire of UFC President Dana White who was furious over the inappropriate query. He blamed the production team that fed the question to the commentator, stressing on the inappropriateness and untimeliness of the query.
"I was upset with the truck telling [Rogan] to tell Ronda that she's going to fight again. That wasn't true. That was some [expletive] that somebody made up back there. It was the biggest idiotic move in the history of our production team," White said as reported by Yahoo! Sports.
Rousey, who has fought three times in just a period of six months, is the subject of speculation as the stand-in fighter for the cancelled UFC 176 bout on August 6 pitting Aldo and Medes. The same rumours had some precedent as Rousey as she agreed to a title defense against Sara McMann even before she had fought Miesha Tate in the December 28 rematch.
This time around successive quick fights might be in jeopardy as Rousey suffered a cut on he right knuckle during the 16 second barrage on Davis. She will have to be medically cleared before she can step in the Octagon again, this time as soon as August 2nd which is just improbable.
Rousey is reported to begging for some time off due to her deluge of schedule shuffling training, fighting, television appearances, and even film work as she is scheduled to appear in the third installment the star-studded Expendables 3. With her proclamation that she will need surgery on her knee, all is in place for her to take some time off the Octagon.
In the meantime, the UFC will have to look for alternatives other than the sure draw of Rousey to rope in the fans for UFC 176.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS