Virgin Coconut Oil Can Help Cure Arthritis
By Smitha Nambiar | July 7, 2014 3:55 PM EST
Virgin coconut oil, prepared using the wet-milling method and heat, can cure acute arthritis, said researchers in India.
In what might seem as the first study of its kind, a few researchers in India have conducted a study to prove that the antioxidants in virgin coconut oil reduces inflammation causing arthritis more effectively than pharmaceutical drugs and medicines. The side effects of pharmaceutical drugs led them to study the benefits of the antioxidants present in virgin coconut oil, said the researchers.
The terrible side effects of the non-steroidal antiinflammatory drugs(NSAID) used to treat Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) include heartburn, stomach problems, ulcers and even bleeding, while the more effective disease modifying antirheumatic drugs (DMARD) can cause high blood pressure, cataracts, weight gain, sleep problems, muscle loss, bruising and thinning of the bones (osteoporosis). It also makes the person suffering from arthritis vulnerable to infections. There is hence a need to develop good antiinflammatory drugs with minimum side effects.
The aim of the study was to assess and evaluate the antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effect of polyphenolic fraction derived from virgin coconut oil on experimental arthritis. The researchers found that the virgin coconut oil was able to reduce the inflammation in arthritis induced in rats, in comparison to Indometacin, a common nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug prescribed for arthritis. The research can help scientists create new patent-able drugs or supplements from virgin coconut oil antioxidants. Another benefit of the unique antioxidants in virgin coconut oil is that its medium-chain fatty acids lead to an increase energy, metabolism and also help in burning more calories.
The virgin coconut oil used in this study was produced using the wet-milling method and heat, and not all virgin coconut oil is effective in the cure of arthritis.
Arthritis, the disease that affect joints, surrounding tissues and connective tissues affect female as well as male with ratio 3:1 respectively. Most people suffering from severe and acute arthritis tend to become clinically disabled within 20 years.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’