Virgin Coconut Oil Can Help Cure Arthritis
By Smitha Nambiar | July 7, 2014 3:55 PM EST
Virgin coconut oil, prepared using the wet-milling method and heat, can cure acute arthritis, said researchers in India.
In what might seem as the first study of its kind, a few researchers in India have conducted a study to prove that the antioxidants in virgin coconut oil reduces inflammation causing arthritis more effectively than pharmaceutical drugs and medicines. The side effects of pharmaceutical drugs led them to study the benefits of the antioxidants present in virgin coconut oil, said the researchers.
The terrible side effects of the non-steroidal antiinflammatory drugs(NSAID) used to treat Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) include heartburn, stomach problems, ulcers and even bleeding, while the more effective disease modifying antirheumatic drugs (DMARD) can cause high blood pressure, cataracts, weight gain, sleep problems, muscle loss, bruising and thinning of the bones (osteoporosis). It also makes the person suffering from arthritis vulnerable to infections. There is hence a need to develop good antiinflammatory drugs with minimum side effects.
The aim of the study was to assess and evaluate the antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effect of polyphenolic fraction derived from virgin coconut oil on experimental arthritis. The researchers found that the virgin coconut oil was able to reduce the inflammation in arthritis induced in rats, in comparison to Indometacin, a common nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug prescribed for arthritis. The research can help scientists create new patent-able drugs or supplements from virgin coconut oil antioxidants. Another benefit of the unique antioxidants in virgin coconut oil is that its medium-chain fatty acids lead to an increase energy, metabolism and also help in burning more calories.
The virgin coconut oil used in this study was produced using the wet-milling method and heat, and not all virgin coconut oil is effective in the cure of arthritis.
Arthritis, the disease that affect joints, surrounding tissues and connective tissues affect female as well as male with ratio 3:1 respectively. Most people suffering from severe and acute arthritis tend to become clinically disabled within 20 years.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mars Unusual Feature: Alien Skull Buried In Martian Sand
- Zero-Gravity Update: Coffee Machine Brews Fresh ISSpresso For Astronauts
- Stephen Hawking's Facebook Posts Tell You How The Cosmologist Reacts To 'Theory Of Everything' And 'Interstellar'
- Sydney Heatwave Roundup: Mercury Rising To 40 Degrees, Severe Fire Warnings In Place
- Crop Production Amplifies Carbon Dioxide Cycle
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports