Virgin Coconut Oil Can Help Cure Arthritis
By Smitha Nambiar | July 7, 2014 3:55 PM EST
Virgin coconut oil, prepared using the wet-milling method and heat, can cure acute arthritis, said researchers in India.
In what might seem as the first study of its kind, a few researchers in India have conducted a study to prove that the antioxidants in virgin coconut oil reduces inflammation causing arthritis more effectively than pharmaceutical drugs and medicines. The side effects of pharmaceutical drugs led them to study the benefits of the antioxidants present in virgin coconut oil, said the researchers.
The terrible side effects of the non-steroidal antiinflammatory drugs(NSAID) used to treat Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) include heartburn, stomach problems, ulcers and even bleeding, while the more effective disease modifying antirheumatic drugs (DMARD) can cause high blood pressure, cataracts, weight gain, sleep problems, muscle loss, bruising and thinning of the bones (osteoporosis). It also makes the person suffering from arthritis vulnerable to infections. There is hence a need to develop good antiinflammatory drugs with minimum side effects.
The aim of the study was to assess and evaluate the antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effect of polyphenolic fraction derived from virgin coconut oil on experimental arthritis. The researchers found that the virgin coconut oil was able to reduce the inflammation in arthritis induced in rats, in comparison to Indometacin, a common nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug prescribed for arthritis. The research can help scientists create new patent-able drugs or supplements from virgin coconut oil antioxidants. Another benefit of the unique antioxidants in virgin coconut oil is that its medium-chain fatty acids lead to an increase energy, metabolism and also help in burning more calories.
The virgin coconut oil used in this study was produced using the wet-milling method and heat, and not all virgin coconut oil is effective in the cure of arthritis.
Arthritis, the disease that affect joints, surrounding tissues and connective tissues affect female as well as male with ratio 3:1 respectively. Most people suffering from severe and acute arthritis tend to become clinically disabled within 20 years.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Yuka, A Woolly Mammoth, Is Just 39,000 Years Young, And Wears A Reddish Coat
- Army Of Moonwalkers May Soon Be Ready As Michael Jackson Reportedly Cloned Himself Before Death
- Social Media Conspiracy Fires Up Due To Ancient Engraving On Mars [Watch Video]
- Aussies Love Robots More Than The Japanese Do
- Nanoplug Invisible Hearing Aid Comes With High-Tech Features And Nano-Battery That Recharges Instantaneously
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery