Virgin Coconut Oil Can Help Cure Arthritis
By Smitha Nambiar | July 7, 2014 3:55 PM EST
Virgin coconut oil, prepared using the wet-milling method and heat, can cure acute arthritis, said researchers in India.
In what might seem as the first study of its kind, a few researchers in India have conducted a study to prove that the antioxidants in virgin coconut oil reduces inflammation causing arthritis more effectively than pharmaceutical drugs and medicines. The side effects of pharmaceutical drugs led them to study the benefits of the antioxidants present in virgin coconut oil, said the researchers.
The terrible side effects of the non-steroidal antiinflammatory drugs(NSAID) used to treat Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) include heartburn, stomach problems, ulcers and even bleeding, while the more effective disease modifying antirheumatic drugs (DMARD) can cause high blood pressure, cataracts, weight gain, sleep problems, muscle loss, bruising and thinning of the bones (osteoporosis). It also makes the person suffering from arthritis vulnerable to infections. There is hence a need to develop good antiinflammatory drugs with minimum side effects.
The aim of the study was to assess and evaluate the antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effect of polyphenolic fraction derived from virgin coconut oil on experimental arthritis. The researchers found that the virgin coconut oil was able to reduce the inflammation in arthritis induced in rats, in comparison to Indometacin, a common nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug prescribed for arthritis. The research can help scientists create new patent-able drugs or supplements from virgin coconut oil antioxidants. Another benefit of the unique antioxidants in virgin coconut oil is that its medium-chain fatty acids lead to an increase energy, metabolism and also help in burning more calories.
The virgin coconut oil used in this study was produced using the wet-milling method and heat, and not all virgin coconut oil is effective in the cure of arthritis.
Arthritis, the disease that affect joints, surrounding tissues and connective tissues affect female as well as male with ratio 3:1 respectively. Most people suffering from severe and acute arthritis tend to become clinically disabled within 20 years.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales