Police Alert: Convicted Australian Child Rapist on the Run in Victoria
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | July 7, 2014 3:52 PM EST
Police authorities in Victoria have cautioned residents in the area to be on high alert and keep an eye on their children after convicted Australian child rapist Andrew Darling managed to break out of a correctional facility in Ararat.
Members of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police Musical Ride demonstrate their lances during their show on day 3 of the Calgary Stampede rodeo in Calgary, Alberta, July 6, 2014. REUTERS/Todd Korol (CANADA - Tags: SPORT ANIMALS SOCIETY)
Darling had been missing for several hours before the police issued the warning to the public.
Darling, who raped a 13-year-old girl, had cut his electronic surveillance bracelet shortly after 2.30am on Sunday at the Corella Place facility in Ararat, Victoria before walking off the premises. Although the act triggered an alarm, police were unsuccessful in finding him, despite the presence of dog squad.
Darling was released on parole on May 20, 2009 from Port Phillip Prison, after serving a nine-year sentence for raping a 13-year-old girl in 2000, whom he assaulted in her bed. He broke into her family's home to commit a burglary.
This is the second time Darling managed to escape from the facility. The first was in 2010 where he was on the run for two days.
Police issued an image (here) of Darling, warning he was a danger to the public and that Victorians should be on high alert.
He is described as Caucasian, stands about 176 centimetres tall, medium build, blue eyes, fair, close-cropped hair and a fair complexion. Both of his ears are pierced and he has tattoos on his right lower leg, back and arms.
He is known to frequent licensed venues and commonly wears camouflage clothing.
Members of the public are urged not to approach him and to phone 000 if he is seen.
Ararat Police had said there had been no confirmed sightings of Darling so far.
"Suffice to say all areas locally are being searched thoroughly," detective sergeant Peter Hawkins told Daily Mail Australia. "We're unable to say if he's local or further afield."
"Our inquiries are panning out across the state and Australia. Also any residents who notice stolen food or clothing should contact police."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- Australian Woman Charged for Adultery in Lebanon for Visiting Boyfriend
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- Humans at Their Worst: MH17 Victims' Credit Cards Used in Ukraine, Phones 'Answered' by Strangers
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports