Germany’s Lufthansa, Air China Mull Joint Venture on Routes
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | July 7, 2014 3:18 PM EST
German airline Lufthansa will be entering into a joint venture with Air China that will see the two airlines share revenue on certain routes in Asia by selling each other's flight tickets. The routes are situated between China and Europe.
Air China's inaugural flight from Beijing to Washington arrives at Dulles International Airport in Virginia June 10, 2014. REUTERS/Gary Cameron (UNITED STATES - Tags: TRANSPORT BUSINESS)
The carriers are both members of the Star Alliance, the world's biggest. The other aviation alliances are SkyTeam alliance and Oneworld alliance.
"We aim to deepen and further expand our relationship in the face of rising competition from other airline alliances," the WSJ quoted an unidentified official at Air China.
The routes on which the two airlines will share were not revealed as of yet.
This won't be the first time an agreement of sorts will be made between Lufthansa and Air China. In 1989, the two airline firms created Ameco Beijing which was an aircraft-maintenance joint venture, according to the WSJ. Majority or 60 per cent of the partnership was controlled by Air China, while Lufthansa owned the rest. The first ever code-sharing agreement between the German and Chinese was signed in 2000.
Reuters reported Lufthansa had been talking with Air China for months now. It wants to strengthen its position in Asia, where Dubai-based Emirates and Turkish Airlines have been expanding.
"European carriers are seeking stronger ties into growth markets like China to offset shrinking European business," investment research portal Seeking Alpha said. "Joint ventures allow airlines to closely coordinate operations and ticket pricing. On certain routes, the airlines can even operate like a single carrier without violating antitrust rules."
Lufthansa has existing revenue-sharing joint ventures with Air Canada, Japan's ANA Holdings and U.S.-based United Continental Holdings.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones