Pacific Rim 2 Details and Spoilers: Shatterdome and Animation Series
By Tanya Diente | July 7, 2014 2:47 PM EST
Since the "Pacific Rim" was released, movie director Guillermo del Toro has been talking about the sequel and now he has revealed some details about his plans for "Pacific Rim 2," which involves the Shatterdome and an animation series as introduction to the sequel.
A Z-JH8 helicopter sits on the deck of the Chinese People Liberation Army Naval hospital ship Peace Ark at Joint Base Pearl Harbor Hickam in Honolulu, Hawaii, July 5, 2014. RIMPAC is the world's largest biennial naval exercise between the US and Pacific Rim nations and for the first time includes China. Twenty-two countries are participating.
In a recent interview with the Wall Street Journal, Guillermo del Toro said "Pacific Rim 2" is going to be very different than the first movie. He admitted that it doesn't bother him at all that the sequel would be very different; as long as the movie is awesome then it would make him happy.
"We are talking about all the possibilities in terms of networks. We're formulating ideas that are, again, interesting and not the usual route," he said.
He revealed "Pacific Rim 2" will still tackle the stories that happened to pilots working in the Shatterdome (a building where jaegers are built and maintained and pilots train) and also tell the story of the cadets learning how to become pilots. These storylines will happen prior to the first movie, kind of a prologue, so viewers will understand the background of certain characters that will appear in the sequel.
Although "Pacific Rim 2" is three years away, the movie director has plans of expanding the graphic novel called "Tales From Year Zero" as an introduction into the movie. It will be aired as an animation series for one year. This way, viewers would already have background knowledge of the sequel even before it shows. Also, three years of the comic book series will provide enough information about the characters and storyline of the movie.
"I was incredibly happy with the comic book series that came about from a graphic novel called "Tales From Year Zero," and we are continuing the tales for the next three years," he said.
"By the time we come into the second movie, you have a good feel for the world, and we can dedicate ourselves to character and ideas and spectacle," he added.
In a recent interview with Buzzfeed, Guillermo del Toro assured "Pacific Rim" fans that famous characters will appear in the animation series.
"The characters I love will return. Raleigh, Mako, Newt, Gottlieb and who knows, maybe even Hannibal Chau - but we are taking them into a fresh territory that will display amazing sights and battles. The first film set the stage and now we're ready to have a blast," he said.
Guillermo del Toro's "Pacific Rim 2" will be released on April 7, 2017.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- Nina Dobrev Moves On From Ian Somerhalder: ‘TVD’ Actress Trying To Reconcile With Ex, ‘DWTS’ Star Derek Hough—Report Suggests
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Casting: Brothel Guard, Military Officer And More
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best