Pacific Rim 2 Details and Spoilers: Shatterdome and Animation Series
By Tanya Diente | July 7, 2014 2:47 PM EST
Since the "Pacific Rim" was released, movie director Guillermo del Toro has been talking about the sequel and now he has revealed some details about his plans for "Pacific Rim 2," which involves the Shatterdome and an animation series as introduction to the sequel.
A Z-JH8 helicopter sits on the deck of the Chinese People Liberation Army Naval hospital ship Peace Ark at Joint Base Pearl Harbor Hickam in Honolulu, Hawaii, July 5, 2014. RIMPAC is the world's largest biennial naval exercise between the US and Pacific Rim nations and for the first time includes China. Twenty-two countries are participating.
In a recent interview with the Wall Street Journal, Guillermo del Toro said "Pacific Rim 2" is going to be very different than the first movie. He admitted that it doesn't bother him at all that the sequel would be very different; as long as the movie is awesome then it would make him happy.
"We are talking about all the possibilities in terms of networks. We're formulating ideas that are, again, interesting and not the usual route," he said.
He revealed "Pacific Rim 2" will still tackle the stories that happened to pilots working in the Shatterdome (a building where jaegers are built and maintained and pilots train) and also tell the story of the cadets learning how to become pilots. These storylines will happen prior to the first movie, kind of a prologue, so viewers will understand the background of certain characters that will appear in the sequel.
Although "Pacific Rim 2" is three years away, the movie director has plans of expanding the graphic novel called "Tales From Year Zero" as an introduction into the movie. It will be aired as an animation series for one year. This way, viewers would already have background knowledge of the sequel even before it shows. Also, three years of the comic book series will provide enough information about the characters and storyline of the movie.
"I was incredibly happy with the comic book series that came about from a graphic novel called "Tales From Year Zero," and we are continuing the tales for the next three years," he said.
"By the time we come into the second movie, you have a good feel for the world, and we can dedicate ourselves to character and ideas and spectacle," he added.
In a recent interview with Buzzfeed, Guillermo del Toro assured "Pacific Rim" fans that famous characters will appear in the animation series.
"The characters I love will return. Raleigh, Mako, Newt, Gottlieb and who knows, maybe even Hannibal Chau - but we are taking them into a fresh territory that will display amazing sights and battles. The first film set the stage and now we're ready to have a blast," he said.
Guillermo del Toro's "Pacific Rim 2" will be released on April 7, 2017.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Reports: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Pince Harry Somber - Reports
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal