Pacific Rim 2 Details and Spoilers: Shatterdome and Animation Series
By Tanya Diente | July 7, 2014 2:47 PM EST
Since the "Pacific Rim" was released, movie director Guillermo del Toro has been talking about the sequel and now he has revealed some details about his plans for "Pacific Rim 2," which involves the Shatterdome and an animation series as introduction to the sequel.
A Z-JH8 helicopter sits on the deck of the Chinese People Liberation Army Naval hospital ship Peace Ark at Joint Base Pearl Harbor Hickam in Honolulu, Hawaii, July 5, 2014. RIMPAC is the world's largest biennial naval exercise between the US and Pacific Rim nations and for the first time includes China. Twenty-two countries are participating.
In a recent interview with the Wall Street Journal, Guillermo del Toro said "Pacific Rim 2" is going to be very different than the first movie. He admitted that it doesn't bother him at all that the sequel would be very different; as long as the movie is awesome then it would make him happy.
"We are talking about all the possibilities in terms of networks. We're formulating ideas that are, again, interesting and not the usual route," he said.
He revealed "Pacific Rim 2" will still tackle the stories that happened to pilots working in the Shatterdome (a building where jaegers are built and maintained and pilots train) and also tell the story of the cadets learning how to become pilots. These storylines will happen prior to the first movie, kind of a prologue, so viewers will understand the background of certain characters that will appear in the sequel.
Although "Pacific Rim 2" is three years away, the movie director has plans of expanding the graphic novel called "Tales From Year Zero" as an introduction into the movie. It will be aired as an animation series for one year. This way, viewers would already have background knowledge of the sequel even before it shows. Also, three years of the comic book series will provide enough information about the characters and storyline of the movie.
"I was incredibly happy with the comic book series that came about from a graphic novel called "Tales From Year Zero," and we are continuing the tales for the next three years," he said.
"By the time we come into the second movie, you have a good feel for the world, and we can dedicate ourselves to character and ideas and spectacle," he added.
In a recent interview with Buzzfeed, Guillermo del Toro assured "Pacific Rim" fans that famous characters will appear in the animation series.
"The characters I love will return. Raleigh, Mako, Newt, Gottlieb and who knows, maybe even Hannibal Chau - but we are taking them into a fresh territory that will display amazing sights and battles. The first film set the stage and now we're ready to have a blast," he said.
Guillermo del Toro's "Pacific Rim 2" will be released on April 7, 2017.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- 'Revenge' Season 4 Spoilers: Daniel, Emily In Twisted Friendship; David Clarke Mystery Growing (Review, Updates)
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Nov. 24 – 28 Spoilers: JJ Decides, Melanie Confronts Chad And Daniel And Nicole Reconcile
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners