Pacific Rim 2 Details and Spoilers: Shatterdome and Animation Series
By Tanya Diente | July 7, 2014 2:47 PM EST
Since the "Pacific Rim" was released, movie director Guillermo del Toro has been talking about the sequel and now he has revealed some details about his plans for "Pacific Rim 2," which involves the Shatterdome and an animation series as introduction to the sequel.
A Z-JH8 helicopter sits on the deck of the Chinese People Liberation Army Naval hospital ship Peace Ark at Joint Base Pearl Harbor Hickam in Honolulu, Hawaii, July 5, 2014. RIMPAC is the world's largest biennial naval exercise between the US and Pacific Rim nations and for the first time includes China. Twenty-two countries are participating.
In a recent interview with the Wall Street Journal, Guillermo del Toro said "Pacific Rim 2" is going to be very different than the first movie. He admitted that it doesn't bother him at all that the sequel would be very different; as long as the movie is awesome then it would make him happy.
"We are talking about all the possibilities in terms of networks. We're formulating ideas that are, again, interesting and not the usual route," he said.
He revealed "Pacific Rim 2" will still tackle the stories that happened to pilots working in the Shatterdome (a building where jaegers are built and maintained and pilots train) and also tell the story of the cadets learning how to become pilots. These storylines will happen prior to the first movie, kind of a prologue, so viewers will understand the background of certain characters that will appear in the sequel.
Although "Pacific Rim 2" is three years away, the movie director has plans of expanding the graphic novel called "Tales From Year Zero" as an introduction into the movie. It will be aired as an animation series for one year. This way, viewers would already have background knowledge of the sequel even before it shows. Also, three years of the comic book series will provide enough information about the characters and storyline of the movie.
"I was incredibly happy with the comic book series that came about from a graphic novel called "Tales From Year Zero," and we are continuing the tales for the next three years," he said.
"By the time we come into the second movie, you have a good feel for the world, and we can dedicate ourselves to character and ideas and spectacle," he added.
In a recent interview with Buzzfeed, Guillermo del Toro assured "Pacific Rim" fans that famous characters will appear in the animation series.
"The characters I love will return. Raleigh, Mako, Newt, Gottlieb and who knows, maybe even Hannibal Chau - but we are taking them into a fresh territory that will display amazing sights and battles. The first film set the stage and now we're ready to have a blast," he said.
Guillermo del Toro's "Pacific Rim 2" will be released on April 7, 2017.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu