iPhone 6 Release Date on Sept 19 Confirmed with Possible OIS Cam Similar to the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 - Reports
By Karla Danica Figuerres | July 7, 2014 2:17 PM EST
The iPhone 6 release date is set on Sept. 19, according to reports from Asia, which coincides with earlier reports from Germany Deutsch Telekom. Also, it has been reported that the iPhone 6 might sport an OIS camera similar to the Samsung Galaxy Note 4.
A woman holds her new Apple iPhone 5S after buying it at an Apple Store in Tokyo
According to a report that cites Ming Chi Kuo of KGI Securities as a source, the optical image stabilisation will be exclusive to the bigger version of the iPhone 6 and its smaller sibling will instead feature an advanced lens module.
"The 5.5-inch iPhone 6 is more likely to be equipped with OIS VCM due to lower estimated shipments and the need for more product features to differentiate itself from the 4.7-inch iPhone 6," Kuo said via MacRumors.
On the other hand, the iPhone 6 release date could bring glowing logo and a curved glass display according to a report from a Japanese Web site Nikkei. Nikkei claims that the Cupertino tech giant will incorporate a curved glass display to the iPhone 6, similar to the LG Flex. In theory, curved glass displays bring better image quality than flat displays.
Meanwhile, Samsung is also rumoured to produce an OIS-enabled and 12 MP sensor camera phablet. The Galaxy Note 3 is initially designed to have an OIS shooter but the Korean tech giant discarded this plan because of production and supply concerns. Positively, even though Samsung did not continue to add the OIS technology to its smartphones, it was still able to produce a new type of camera with the Galaxy S5, dubbed ISOCELL.
According to the latest Samsung Galaxy Note 4 rumours, the Korean tech giant's move to incorporate OIS technology to its next-generation phablet is being considered due to the difficulties to bring OIS to its 16 MP sensor camera.
However, given the less than official nature of the aforementioned reports and Samsung's desire to feed the insatiable specs race in the cutthroat smartphone market, it must be noted that the reports should be taken with a pinch of salt.
Both the iPhone 6 and the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release dates are expected to be during this year's Fall. The iPhone 6 on Sept 16 while the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 is widely expected to be the highlight of the Korean manufacturer's IFA 2014 showings this September.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Battery Life Test Shows Its Curved Display And Build Has Impacted Its Battery Performance