Sony Xperia Z, ZL, ZR, Tablet Z Major Battery Issue May Be Resolved by Google Play Services 5.0
By Ryan Inoyori | July 7, 2014 2:05 PM EST
Sony Xperia Z running Android KitKat suffers a major battery drain issue which is related to Google Play Services according to Sony Mobile. Google just released version 5.0 of the service to update several apps. But does the new version resolves Xperia Z's battery problem?
Google Play Services 5.0
Google Play Services version 5.0 is now rolling out to Android devices worldwide and includes a number of features to improve apps.
1. Android Wearable Services - Introduction of APIs to allow communication between Android devices to wearable gadgets such as auto syncing, data storing and low latency messaging interface.
2. Dynamic Security Provider - Provides an API for apps to use for easier installation of a dynamic security provider. It includes a replacement for the platform's secure networking APIs with rapid security patches delivery. Issues identified in OpenSSL have been fixed as well.
3. Game Services - Quests are added on the new set of APIs to run time-based goals for players and reward them without needing to update the game. Saved Games allow storage of player's game progress to the cloud service across many screens.
4. App Indexing API - Indexing API improves Google Search function by allowing service of app's history to users.
5. Google Cast - Google Cast SDK now includes media tracks that introduce closed caption for Chromecast.
6. Google Drive - Additional ability for Drive to sort query results, create folders offline and select any mime type in the file picker by default.
7. Wallet - Physical objects such as loyalty cards and offers can now take place with Google Wallet stored via cloud service. Users can now use their Google Wallet balance to pay for Instant Buy transactions.
8. Analytics - Enhanced Ecommerce provides visibility into the full customer journey, adding the ability to measure product impressions, product clicks and more.
9. Mobile Ads - Improvements on the in-apps purchase ads.
Sony Xperia Z Battery Drain
According to Sony Mobile, Xperia Z, ZL, ZR and Tablet running Android KitKat suffers a major battery drain due to the Google Play Services 4.4.52 and an update from Google may resolve it.
"We have investigated the issue with Google Play Services using a lot of battery and we have identified that the root cause of this is related to the latest version of Google Play Services (4.4.52). Until a new version of Google Play Services is provided by Google, we urge users to either uninstall the latest update of Google Play Services or go to Settings > Google > Ads > Tick the box for Opt out of interest-based ads and also disable backup of your data by going to Settings > Backup and reset > Uncheck the box for "Backup my data," community manager Johan posted at Sony Mobile forum site.
Users who followed the advice to disable the automatic update or uninstall the version 4.4.52 should now update the Google Play Services to version 5.0 to find out if it fixes the battery drain issue on Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR and Xperia Tablet Z.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- 'World Of Warcraft' ‘The Iron Tide' 6.0.2 Patch Hotfixes Update Including New Resolved Issues Regarding Scenarios, Raids, Classes, Battlegrounds And Arenas
- Sony Xperia Z3 Launched In Japan Has 32 GB Storage Compared To 16 GB International Model
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports