Donate Blood for a Healthy Heart
By Smitha Nambiar | July 7, 2014 1:41 PM EST
Blood donation reduces the risk of heart disease, say scientists led by Margit Egg from the University of Innsbruck, Austria. Donating blood is especially beneficial to shift workers, who are known to suffer from various heart diseases due to jetlag.
Australian scientists have found that donating blood could very well reduce the risks of heart disease. A team of researchers led by Margit Egg from the University of Innsbruck, Austria experimented with zebrafish, which are model organism and like humans are active during the day. Jet lags as seen in humans have extremely negative effects on red blood cells, which explain why shift workers suffer most from heart-related illnesses. This can be reversed by bringing in fresh and young red blood cells through blood donation.
The fishes were subjected to shift patterns - alternate short (7 hour) and long (21 hour) days, similar to the ones shift workers face in the industry. The findings surprised researchers since the fishes, which were "jetlagged," showed high number of aged red blood cells that were collected in their blood vessels. "Normally there is a balance between newly produced red blood cells and old ones which are removed from the blood," Egg said.
Since the old cells are less flexible, they get stuck in the spleen and liver where they are surrounded by white blood cells. However, researchers are still trying to figure out why jetlag prevents this removal process.
Large number of red blood cells in the vessels increases the chance of a clot that can eventually lead to a heart attack. Shift workers, who are at a 30 per cent higher risk of cardiovascular diseases, will be at an advantage if they donate blood. Apart from that, it was also found that the aged cells also reduce the oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales