Donate Blood for a Healthy Heart
By Smitha Nambiar | July 7, 2014 1:41 PM EST
Blood donation reduces the risk of heart disease, say scientists led by Margit Egg from the University of Innsbruck, Austria. Donating blood is especially beneficial to shift workers, who are known to suffer from various heart diseases due to jetlag.
Australian scientists have found that donating blood could very well reduce the risks of heart disease. A team of researchers led by Margit Egg from the University of Innsbruck, Austria experimented with zebrafish, which are model organism and like humans are active during the day. Jet lags as seen in humans have extremely negative effects on red blood cells, which explain why shift workers suffer most from heart-related illnesses. This can be reversed by bringing in fresh and young red blood cells through blood donation.
The fishes were subjected to shift patterns - alternate short (7 hour) and long (21 hour) days, similar to the ones shift workers face in the industry. The findings surprised researchers since the fishes, which were "jetlagged," showed high number of aged red blood cells that were collected in their blood vessels. "Normally there is a balance between newly produced red blood cells and old ones which are removed from the blood," Egg said.
Since the old cells are less flexible, they get stuck in the spleen and liver where they are surrounded by white blood cells. However, researchers are still trying to figure out why jetlag prevents this removal process.
Large number of red blood cells in the vessels increases the chance of a clot that can eventually lead to a heart attack. Shift workers, who are at a 30 per cent higher risk of cardiovascular diseases, will be at an advantage if they donate blood. Apart from that, it was also found that the aged cells also reduce the oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Alien Mystery: The Most Famous Unexplained Alien Abduction Cases (Watch Video)
- University of Waterloo U Study Recommends Best Sex Positions To Ease Back Pain During Lovemaking
- West Seattle Man Accuses Stranger Obese Woman Of Rape While He Was Asleep
- Bardarbunga Volcano In Iceland Erupts With Brightly Coloured Lava Under Northern Lights [Watch Video]
- Lady Gaga Wants David Bowie To Perform With Her In Space
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet
- HTC Desire 820 (Octa-Core) vs. Sony Xperia Z3 Compact – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown