Andy Murray's Wimbledon Loss Reportedly Caused by Argument with Girlfriend Kim Sears
By Tanya Diente | July 7, 2014 1:11 PM EST
Following the recent loss of Andy Murray in the Wimbledon, reports have surfaced claiming his premature exit was due to an alleged argument he had with his girlfriend, Kim Sears.
Andy Murray of Britain reacts during his men's singles quarter-final tennis match against Grigor Dimitrov of Bulgaria at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London July 2, 2014.
Andy Murray was heard saying a few curses while on the Centre Court during the Wimbledon match.
During the second set of the Andy Murray v Grigor Dimitrov match, around 2:13 pm, photographers on Centre Court told TheGuardian they heard Andy Murray scream "shut the f*** up" in the direction of his box. This was followed by another curse. Later, when he was 4-2 down in the third set, he was again heard saying "five minutes before the f***ing match." These expletives left people to wonder if something happened during his pre-match preparations.
His curses were particularly aimed at the player's box where his coach Amélie Mauresmo, his girlfriend Kim Sears and his mother Judy Murray were sitting. It's not clear whether his outburst was in reference to an argument he had with his new coach, his girlfriend or his team.
However, after his post-match interview, Andy Murray was seen leaving SW19 immediately. He didn't even bother to change out of his tennis outfit. According to Telegraph, his girlfriend, Kim Sears, was also spotted looking visibly upset as she made a hasty exit from the player's box. She was also seen leaving Wimbledon alone, contrary to Murray's 2012 loss to Roger Federer, where the couple was seen leaving together after the game.
Murray's opponent, Grigor Dimitrov, said he noticed that Murray was not on his best mood before the game. In his post-match press, Dimitrov said something was not right with Murray immediately as they began their warm-up.
"As soon as we started to warm up, I sensed that his game was not at the highest level," he said.
He also "had a feeling" something was not right with how Andy Murray played.
"I have practiced quite a few times with [Murray] and I know how he is striking the ball when he is at his best, I know how he is playing when he is not at his best. I think it's just a feeling that I had," he said.
However, Murray dismissed the allegations, saying he just had a "bad day at the office." His spokesman, Matt Gentry, also said that his player would often swear on court and added that "he was off his game." However, he didn't give any indication of the source of Murray's frustration.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best