Australian National Swim Team Wear for Commonwealth Games Face Criticism for Drawing Attention to Crotch Area
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 7, 2014 8:19 AM EST
Even before Australia's national swim team could fly to Glasgow for the Commonwealth Games, its members are receiving criticism because of their swimwear for allegedly drawing attention to the crotch area.
The bathing suits and swimming trunks, made by Speedo which showcased the swimwear on Wednesday to the public, has kangaroo prints, emus and the Australian map in green and gold colours. Swimmers Brittany Elmslie, Melanie Schlanger, Bronte Barratt and Cameron McEvoy modeled the apparel.
The Scotsman is critical of the swim attire of Aussie tankers for being "unbecoming and guiding the eye 'to the wrong place.'" Brisbane stylist Di Cant disagrees with the shape of the green-and-black swimwear, particularly how the colours merge.
"My main issue is with the green and black suits and the emphasis on the crotch. The shaping of the crotch and with the black leg, something is not quite flattering. It is drawing the eye to the wrong place, rather than to the athletic body and the overall look," The Chronicle quoted Cant.
Mark Ferguson, the director of Wil Valor, an Australian tailoring company, said the swim outfit tried too hard to be "out there" but failed. "It's a really busy pattern - you don't know where to look. It looks incomplete," he added.
Ruth Walker, editor in chief of Crave, a Scottish fashion site, said the design flattens the female swimmer's chest and point to her broad shoulders. She suggested cutting the swim wear legs higher and the addition of more substantial straps.
But she likes the retro print and actually described the criticisms as "stooshie over nothing" since the emphasis of the swimwear was to enable speed instead of being aesthetically pleasing.
The team members dismissed the negative talk and said they are excited about their pool attire.
"The colours seem good, they're majority green instead of majority black which is really good because that represents Australia," said freestyle Barratt.
Shclanger, an Olympic gold medalist, tweeted she really likes the new look of their bathing suit.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Serena Williams and Rumoured Boyfriend Patrick Mouratoglou Spotted on a Date in NYC
- UFC President Dana White Says He is Very Excited for Anderson Silva’s Comeback in January
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Claims that Fabregas will Play Best Football Under Him
- 10 Celebrities Who Took The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge: Justin Bieber, Selena Gomez, Chris Pratt & LeBron James [VIDEOS]
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features