Australian National Swim Team Wear for Commonwealth Games Face Criticism for Drawing Attention to Crotch Area
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 7, 2014 8:19 AM EST
Even before Australia's national swim team could fly to Glasgow for the Commonwealth Games, its members are receiving criticism because of their swimwear for allegedly drawing attention to the crotch area.
The bathing suits and swimming trunks, made by Speedo which showcased the swimwear on Wednesday to the public, has kangaroo prints, emus and the Australian map in green and gold colours. Swimmers Brittany Elmslie, Melanie Schlanger, Bronte Barratt and Cameron McEvoy modeled the apparel.
The Scotsman is critical of the swim attire of Aussie tankers for being "unbecoming and guiding the eye 'to the wrong place.'" Brisbane stylist Di Cant disagrees with the shape of the green-and-black swimwear, particularly how the colours merge.
"My main issue is with the green and black suits and the emphasis on the crotch. The shaping of the crotch and with the black leg, something is not quite flattering. It is drawing the eye to the wrong place, rather than to the athletic body and the overall look," The Chronicle quoted Cant.
Mark Ferguson, the director of Wil Valor, an Australian tailoring company, said the swim outfit tried too hard to be "out there" but failed. "It's a really busy pattern - you don't know where to look. It looks incomplete," he added.
Ruth Walker, editor in chief of Crave, a Scottish fashion site, said the design flattens the female swimmer's chest and point to her broad shoulders. She suggested cutting the swim wear legs higher and the addition of more substantial straps.
But she likes the retro print and actually described the criticisms as "stooshie over nothing" since the emphasis of the swimwear was to enable speed instead of being aesthetically pleasing.
The team members dismissed the negative talk and said they are excited about their pool attire.
"The colours seem good, they're majority green instead of majority black which is really good because that represents Australia," said freestyle Barratt.
Shclanger, an Olympic gold medalist, tweeted she really likes the new look of their bathing suit.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]