2014 Wimbledon Men's Final: Novak Djokovic Beats Roger Federer, Wins 7th Career Grand Slam Title
By James Patrick Quizon | July 7, 2014 3:14 AM EST
Novak Djokovic netted the seventh Grand Slam title of his career turning back Roger Federer, 6-7 (7), 6-4,7-6 (4), 5-7, 6-4 in the final of the men's singles competition of the 2014 Wimbledon Championships at the All England Club in London, England.
Roger Federer of Switzerland (L) and Novak Djokovic of Serbia pose for a photograph before their men's singles final tennis match at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London July 6, 2014.
The 27-year-old Serbian lost the first set via a tiebreak, but never lost his composure against the 32-year-old Federer, who was aiming for his 8th Majors title in London and his 18th Grand Slam title overall.
Djokovic broke Federer's serve once in the second set and it was enough to tie the match at one set apiece. The third set once again went into a tiebreak and this time Djokovic won, 7-6 (4) despite hitting less winners, 14-19 in that set.
Federer went down 3-5 in the fourth set but fought back to stay in the match. He broke Federer in the 9th game and held serve on the 10th facing match point to tie it at five games apiece. Federer wasn't done, he broke Djokovic in the 11th game and grabbed the 6-5 lead in the fourth set and then promptly won the 12th to win tie the match at two sets apiece.
The fifth and final set had all the makings of a classic.
Both players held serve for the first nine games. But in the 10th game, Djokovic finally broke Federer’s serve to win the fifth set, 6-4 and his seventh Grand Slam title.
View the slideshow and relive Djokovic's victory at the 2014 Wimbledon Championships.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report