2014 Wimbledon Men's Final: Novak Djokovic Beats Roger Federer, Wins 7th Career Grand Slam Title
By James Patrick Quizon | July 7, 2014 3:14 AM EST
Novak Djokovic netted the seventh Grand Slam title of his career turning back Roger Federer, 6-7 (7), 6-4,7-6 (4), 5-7, 6-4 in the final of the men's singles competition of the 2014 Wimbledon Championships at the All England Club in London, England.
Roger Federer of Switzerland (L) and Novak Djokovic of Serbia pose for a photograph before their men's singles final tennis match at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London July 6, 2014.
The 27-year-old Serbian lost the first set via a tiebreak, but never lost his composure against the 32-year-old Federer, who was aiming for his 8th Majors title in London and his 18th Grand Slam title overall.
Djokovic broke Federer's serve once in the second set and it was enough to tie the match at one set apiece. The third set once again went into a tiebreak and this time Djokovic won, 7-6 (4) despite hitting less winners, 14-19 in that set.
Federer went down 3-5 in the fourth set but fought back to stay in the match. He broke Federer in the 9th game and held serve on the 10th facing match point to tie it at five games apiece. Federer wasn't done, he broke Djokovic in the 11th game and grabbed the 6-5 lead in the fourth set and then promptly won the 12th to win tie the match at two sets apiece.
The fifth and final set had all the makings of a classic.
Both players held serve for the first nine games. But in the 10th game, Djokovic finally broke Federer’s serve to win the fifth set, 6-4 and his seventh Grand Slam title.
View the slideshow and relive Djokovic's victory at the 2014 Wimbledon Championships.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Vacation Plans: Visit Prince Charles & Camilla Parker-Bowles
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tasks Engineers to Create the Perfect Tennis Racquet [VIDEO]
- LeBron James and Cleveland Cavaliers the Team to Beat in the East – Paul George
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Renewed Hope for Blues, as Paul Pogba's Agent Revealed that 'Anything is Possible'
- UFC 183: Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz Receives Mixed Reactions on Twitter
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install