2014 Wimbledon Men's Final: Novak Djokovic Beats Roger Federer, Wins 7th Career Grand Slam Title
By James Patrick Quizon | July 7, 2014 3:14 AM EST
Novak Djokovic netted the seventh Grand Slam title of his career turning back Roger Federer, 6-7 (7), 6-4,7-6 (4), 5-7, 6-4 in the final of the men's singles competition of the 2014 Wimbledon Championships at the All England Club in London, England.
Roger Federer of Switzerland (L) and Novak Djokovic of Serbia pose for a photograph before their men's singles final tennis match at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London July 6, 2014.
The 27-year-old Serbian lost the first set via a tiebreak, but never lost his composure against the 32-year-old Federer, who was aiming for his 8th Majors title in London and his 18th Grand Slam title overall.
Djokovic broke Federer's serve once in the second set and it was enough to tie the match at one set apiece. The third set once again went into a tiebreak and this time Djokovic won, 7-6 (4) despite hitting less winners, 14-19 in that set.
Federer went down 3-5 in the fourth set but fought back to stay in the match. He broke Federer in the 9th game and held serve on the 10th facing match point to tie it at five games apiece. Federer wasn't done, he broke Djokovic in the 11th game and grabbed the 6-5 lead in the fourth set and then promptly won the 12th to win tie the match at two sets apiece.
The fifth and final set had all the makings of a classic.
Both players held serve for the first nine games. But in the 10th game, Djokovic finally broke Federer’s serve to win the fifth set, 6-4 and his seventh Grand Slam title.
View the slideshow and relive Djokovic's victory at the 2014 Wimbledon Championships.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510