Argentina's Angel Di Maria Out in Semifinal vs. Netherlands, Rest of the 2014 World Cup
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 7, 2014 1:42 AM EST
Another key player down and out in Brazil.
Two wins away from the goal of winning the 2014 World Cup, one of the tournament’s favourites takes a major blow after Argentinean Angel Di Maria strained his right thigh in their 1-0 victory over Belgium in the quarterfinals. The winger’s status in the semifinals against the Netherlands is now downgraded to doubtful after recent tests on Sunday.
Argentina's Angel Di Maria lies on the pitch after an injury during the team's 2014 World Cup quarter-finals against Belgium at the Brasilia national stadium in Brasilia July 5, 2014.
“The severity of the tear became clearer over the course of evening with media in Argentina reporting the Real Madrid player, who had scored the team’s late winner against Switzerland in the round of 16, was now resigned to missing the remainder of the finals,” reported The Guardian on Sunday night.
La Albiceleste was still hopeful that Di Maria could make a successful comeback in time for Wednesday, July 9, when they face Holland.
"He's a key player in this project," said teammate Gonzalo Higuain via USA Today early Sunday. "We hope that he will be ready as soon as possible because we know what he does for the team."
Higuain knows as much as his winning goal against Belgium came off Di Maria’s assist. The Real Madrid FC midfielder also scored the game-winner in their 1-0 win over Switzerland in the Round of 16.
The 26-year-old was treated on the field and actually attempted to remain the QF game but was eventually replaced by Enzo Perez.
The bad news for Argentina continues as it appears he not only missed much of the Belgium game but will also sit out the remainder of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Chelsea FC: Thibaut Courtois Thanks Cech For Tips Following Injury Scare, Not Ready To Relinquish No. 1 Spot
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar