Argentina's Angel Di Maria Out in Semifinal vs. Netherlands, Rest of the 2014 World Cup
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 7, 2014 1:42 AM EST
Another key player down and out in Brazil.
Two wins away from the goal of winning the 2014 World Cup, one of the tournament’s favourites takes a major blow after Argentinean Angel Di Maria strained his right thigh in their 1-0 victory over Belgium in the quarterfinals. The winger’s status in the semifinals against the Netherlands is now downgraded to doubtful after recent tests on Sunday.
Argentina's Angel Di Maria lies on the pitch after an injury during the team's 2014 World Cup quarter-finals against Belgium at the Brasilia national stadium in Brasilia July 5, 2014.
“The severity of the tear became clearer over the course of evening with media in Argentina reporting the Real Madrid player, who had scored the team’s late winner against Switzerland in the round of 16, was now resigned to missing the remainder of the finals,” reported The Guardian on Sunday night.
La Albiceleste was still hopeful that Di Maria could make a successful comeback in time for Wednesday, July 9, when they face Holland.
"He's a key player in this project," said teammate Gonzalo Higuain via USA Today early Sunday. "We hope that he will be ready as soon as possible because we know what he does for the team."
Higuain knows as much as his winning goal against Belgium came off Di Maria’s assist. The Real Madrid FC midfielder also scored the game-winner in their 1-0 win over Switzerland in the Round of 16.
The 26-year-old was treated on the field and actually attempted to remain the QF game but was eventually replaced by Enzo Perez.
The bad news for Argentina continues as it appears he not only missed much of the Belgium game but will also sit out the remainder of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Chelsea FC Injury Update: Diego Costa Fully Fit Ahead Of West Brom Clash, Says Mourinho
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks