Argentina's Angel Di Maria Out in Semifinal vs. Netherlands, Rest of the 2014 World Cup
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 7, 2014 1:42 AM EST
Another key player down and out in Brazil.
Two wins away from the goal of winning the 2014 World Cup, one of the tournament’s favourites takes a major blow after Argentinean Angel Di Maria strained his right thigh in their 1-0 victory over Belgium in the quarterfinals. The winger’s status in the semifinals against the Netherlands is now downgraded to doubtful after recent tests on Sunday.
Argentina's Angel Di Maria lies on the pitch after an injury during the team's 2014 World Cup quarter-finals against Belgium at the Brasilia national stadium in Brasilia July 5, 2014.
“The severity of the tear became clearer over the course of evening with media in Argentina reporting the Real Madrid player, who had scored the team’s late winner against Switzerland in the round of 16, was now resigned to missing the remainder of the finals,” reported The Guardian on Sunday night.
La Albiceleste was still hopeful that Di Maria could make a successful comeback in time for Wednesday, July 9, when they face Holland.
"He's a key player in this project," said teammate Gonzalo Higuain via USA Today early Sunday. "We hope that he will be ready as soon as possible because we know what he does for the team."
Higuain knows as much as his winning goal against Belgium came off Di Maria’s assist. The Real Madrid FC midfielder also scored the game-winner in their 1-0 win over Switzerland in the Round of 16.
The 26-year-old was treated on the field and actually attempted to remain the QF game but was eventually replaced by Enzo Perez.
The bad news for Argentina continues as it appears he not only missed much of the Belgium game but will also sit out the remainder of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border