Argentina's Angel Di Maria Out in Semifinal vs. Netherlands, Rest of the 2014 World Cup
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 7, 2014 1:42 AM EST
Another key player down and out in Brazil.
Two wins away from the goal of winning the 2014 World Cup, one of the tournament’s favourites takes a major blow after Argentinean Angel Di Maria strained his right thigh in their 1-0 victory over Belgium in the quarterfinals. The winger’s status in the semifinals against the Netherlands is now downgraded to doubtful after recent tests on Sunday.
Argentina's Angel Di Maria lies on the pitch after an injury during the team's 2014 World Cup quarter-finals against Belgium at the Brasilia national stadium in Brasilia July 5, 2014.
“The severity of the tear became clearer over the course of evening with media in Argentina reporting the Real Madrid player, who had scored the team’s late winner against Switzerland in the round of 16, was now resigned to missing the remainder of the finals,” reported The Guardian on Sunday night.
La Albiceleste was still hopeful that Di Maria could make a successful comeback in time for Wednesday, July 9, when they face Holland.
"He's a key player in this project," said teammate Gonzalo Higuain via USA Today early Sunday. "We hope that he will be ready as soon as possible because we know what he does for the team."
Higuain knows as much as his winning goal against Belgium came off Di Maria’s assist. The Real Madrid FC midfielder also scored the game-winner in their 1-0 win over Switzerland in the Round of 16.
The 26-year-old was treated on the field and actually attempted to remain the QF game but was eventually replaced by Enzo Perez.
The bad news for Argentina continues as it appears he not only missed much of the Belgium game but will also sit out the remainder of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group A Preview, Prediction, Roster, Schedule: Spain and Brazil To Clinch Top 2 Spots, France, Serbia, And Iran To Battle For Remaining Slots
- Top 10 WTA Fastest Tennis Serves of All Time
- Without LeBron James, Kevin Durant And Other Stars, Team USA Looks to James Harden As Leader In 2014 FIBA World Cup in Spain
- UEFA Champions League Draw: Schedule, TV and Live Stream Information
- Marcos Maidana Heavily Praised By Mexican Boxing Legends
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Verizon on Nationwide Launch of VoLTE
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine