FIFA Wolrd Cup 2014 Quarterfinals Results: Argentina vs. Belgium
By Christine Jane Caparras | July 7, 2014 1:28 AM EST
Napoli's Gonzalo Higuain was channeling Argentinian legend Diego Maradona who also played for the Italian club when he scored early in Argentina's quarterfinal match against Belgium to give them the lead and eventually the victory in the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil.
Argentina's Gonzalo Higuain (R) celebrates next to teammate Angel Di Maria after scoring a goal against Belgium during their 2014 World Cup quarter-finals at the Brasilia national stadium in Brasilia July 5, 2014.
Argentina 1-0 Belgium
The game's first real attacking attempt saw Higuain score off a misstep from Belgian captain Vincent Kompany. As the captain was dispossessed, Lionel Messi brought the ball down to Angel Di Maria who got a lucky break by seeing his pass deflected off Jan Vertonghen to land squarely on an unmarked Higuain who didn't hesitate and struck the ball on the first touch sending it firmly into the back of the net.
The Argentine decision to change their formation to leave out Sergio Aguero from the front proved effective as the Higuain, Messi and Di Maria trio were instrumental in giving La Albiceleste several chances to score.
The Real Madrid man, Di Maria who came off a stellar performance in the UEFA Champions League before coming to Brazil, was playing a big role for his national team until he was unexpectedly taken out following a thigh injury. No apparent tackle was seen to have caused the injury but he fell to the ground shortly after firing a shot towards goal which was blocked by Kompany.
Di Maria was seen being treated in the sidelines and went back on the pitch only to fall again unchallenged making it clear that he will be unable to continue. Enzo Perez came in for Di Maria in the 33rd minute breaking the effective trio in front.
Belgium had their own chances but aggressive defending from Sergio Romero and the Argentina backline with the help of Lucas Biglia and Javier Mascherano allowed the Argentines to hold them off despite ball possession and attempts at goal being fairly even between the two teams. Lionel Messi has his final challenge thwarted by Courtois.
In the end, Argentina have booked a date with the Netherlands for a chance to face wither Brazil or Germany in the final at the Maracana.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence