FIFA World Cup 2014 Quarterfinals Results: Brazil vs. Colombia
By Christine Jane Caparras | July 5, 2014 10:33 PM EST
The 2014 FIFA World Cup is slowly shaping up to be a dream tournament for the home team as they come one step closer to lifting the Cup by taking out continental rivals Colombia in the quarterfinals. The 2-1 victory came off a very physical fight which leaves the hosts sans their wonder boy Neymar Jr. for the semi-final against Germany.
Brazil's David Luiz (4) gestures at Colombia's James Rodriguez (10) as he tells the spectators to applaud him after their 2014 World Cup quarter-finals at the Castelao arena in Fortaleza July 4, 2014.
Brazil 2-1 Colombia
(T. Silva 7', David Luiz 69') (James 80' PEN)
Just like the first quarterfinal match between Germany and France, the opening goal came early in the clash in Fortaleza. Thiago Silva found the back of the net in the 7th minute and Brazil never looked back from there.
Brazil have had mediocre performances thus far in the tournament and have failed to win impressively on their way to the quarterfinals while Colombia have been consistently strong. The home team have a head-to-head historical advantage but if the results in this World Cup are any indication, an upset is always a looming possibility.
The hosts finally brought out the big guns and showed what they are capable of by scoring early and playing aggressive football to deny the Colombians a chance to equalise. Brazilian Captain Silva not only scored the opening goal from a Neymar corner but he also almost single-handedly stopped several Colombian attempts.
Brazil played aggressively and the score would have been more had it not been for the heroics of Colombian goal keeper David Ospina.
Another Brazilian defender, David Luiz who has just been signed by PSG, was the architect of the hosts' second and game winning goal. A free-kick from 35-yards out was sent by Luiz over the wall and into the net in a swift clean kick that left Ospina with no hope of saving.
Colombia won a penalty after Julio Cesar tackled Carlos Bacca and James Rodriguez took care of business to score for Colombia. With only 10 minutes left, the Colombians scrambled for a chance to push for extra time but the hosts had it in the bag. The Colombians are out and Brazil will be facing Germany, the final hurdle to the dream final they are hoping to play and win at the Maracana.
In a tragic twist of events though, Brazil will be left to play the rest of the World Cup without Neymar. The star striker has been ruled out of the tournament after having been stretchered out of the game with a fractured vertebra.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- Georges St-Pierre Opines Nick Diaz Would Have a Stronger Chance Against Anderson Silva If Fight Goes Longer
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
- Chelsea FC: Spanish NT Doctor Belies Mourinho's Claim That Diego Costa Aggravated Hamstring Injury
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists