FIFA World Cup 2014 Quarterfinal Results: Germany vs. France
By Christine Jane Caparras | July 5, 2014 9:23 PM EST
The German team has made it to the semi-finals of the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil after defeating rivals France through a single headed goal by Mats Hummels. The Germans have made it to their second semi-final in a row after facing Spain in 2010 only to lose out to the eventual champions. This time, they are facing another tough semi-final clash as they are set to face host nation Brazil.
Germany 1-0 France
Contrary to the round of 16 trend of late goals and extra-time deciders, the first quarterfinal match of the 2014 FIFA World Cup saw an early goal and ended in regulation time.
Germany reportedly faced a flu scare as several players in the squad fell ill in the days leading up to the crucial quarterfinal match against France. Luckily for them, there was a two day break in between the round of 16 matches and the quarterfinals which gave them some time to recover enough to be fit to play.
The match started out even with both teams getting chances. France were the first to make an attempt via Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema, whose volley just went wide off the mark.
Not long after, Toni Kroos took on a free kick which Mats Hummels headed in brilliantly into the top corner of the net after connecting with the ball despite Raphael Varane's best efforts.
Germany took the early lead and with their confidence high, they soon dominated ball possession as well. France did not give up too easily and managed to break through for a solid attempt in the 33rd minute which challenged Manuel Neuer's abilities.
The second half started out with an invigorated French team and they looked set to find an equaliser. Germany defended well and went on the offensive as well with Lahm and Mueller teaming up to threaten the area several times.
Towards the end of the match, France failed to threaten as Germany were able to challenge Lloris several times in an effort to win by a bigger margin. The equaliser didn't appear likely in the closing minutes of the match as the Germans held control. Karim Benzema made a last ditch attempt in the closing minutes but it was not to be.
Germany will be facing Brazil at Belo Horizonte on Tuesday at 17:00 local time tor a spot in the final.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]