FIFA World Cup 2014 Quarterfinal Results: Germany vs. France
By Christine Jane Caparras | July 5, 2014 9:23 PM EST
The German team has made it to the semi-finals of the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil after defeating rivals France through a single headed goal by Mats Hummels. The Germans have made it to their second semi-final in a row after facing Spain in 2010 only to lose out to the eventual champions. This time, they are facing another tough semi-final clash as they are set to face host nation Brazil.
Germany 1-0 France
Contrary to the round of 16 trend of late goals and extra-time deciders, the first quarterfinal match of the 2014 FIFA World Cup saw an early goal and ended in regulation time.
Germany reportedly faced a flu scare as several players in the squad fell ill in the days leading up to the crucial quarterfinal match against France. Luckily for them, there was a two day break in between the round of 16 matches and the quarterfinals which gave them some time to recover enough to be fit to play.
The match started out even with both teams getting chances. France were the first to make an attempt via Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema, whose volley just went wide off the mark.
Not long after, Toni Kroos took on a free kick which Mats Hummels headed in brilliantly into the top corner of the net after connecting with the ball despite Raphael Varane's best efforts.
Germany took the early lead and with their confidence high, they soon dominated ball possession as well. France did not give up too easily and managed to break through for a solid attempt in the 33rd minute which challenged Manuel Neuer's abilities.
The second half started out with an invigorated French team and they looked set to find an equaliser. Germany defended well and went on the offensive as well with Lahm and Mueller teaming up to threaten the area several times.
Towards the end of the match, France failed to threaten as Germany were able to challenge Lloris several times in an effort to win by a bigger margin. The equaliser didn't appear likely in the closing minutes of the match as the Germans held control. Karim Benzema made a last ditch attempt in the closing minutes but it was not to be.
Germany will be facing Brazil at Belo Horizonte on Tuesday at 17:00 local time tor a spot in the final.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports