FIFA World Cup 2014 Quarterfinal Results: Germany vs. France
By Christine Jane Caparras | July 5, 2014 9:23 PM EST
The German team has made it to the semi-finals of the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil after defeating rivals France through a single headed goal by Mats Hummels. The Germans have made it to their second semi-final in a row after facing Spain in 2010 only to lose out to the eventual champions. This time, they are facing another tough semi-final clash as they are set to face host nation Brazil.
Germany 1-0 France
Contrary to the round of 16 trend of late goals and extra-time deciders, the first quarterfinal match of the 2014 FIFA World Cup saw an early goal and ended in regulation time.
Germany reportedly faced a flu scare as several players in the squad fell ill in the days leading up to the crucial quarterfinal match against France. Luckily for them, there was a two day break in between the round of 16 matches and the quarterfinals which gave them some time to recover enough to be fit to play.
The match started out even with both teams getting chances. France were the first to make an attempt via Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema, whose volley just went wide off the mark.
Not long after, Toni Kroos took on a free kick which Mats Hummels headed in brilliantly into the top corner of the net after connecting with the ball despite Raphael Varane's best efforts.
Germany took the early lead and with their confidence high, they soon dominated ball possession as well. France did not give up too easily and managed to break through for a solid attempt in the 33rd minute which challenged Manuel Neuer's abilities.
The second half started out with an invigorated French team and they looked set to find an equaliser. Germany defended well and went on the offensive as well with Lahm and Mueller teaming up to threaten the area several times.
Towards the end of the match, France failed to threaten as Germany were able to challenge Lloris several times in an effort to win by a bigger margin. The equaliser didn't appear likely in the closing minutes of the match as the Germans held control. Karim Benzema made a last ditch attempt in the closing minutes but it was not to be.
Germany will be facing Brazil at Belo Horizonte on Tuesday at 17:00 local time tor a spot in the final.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft