2014 Wimbledon Men's Semifinals Preview: Federer vs. Raonic Live Streaming
By James Patrick Quizon | July 4, 2014 8:39 PM EST
Roger Federer of Switzerland is highly favoured to advance to the final of men’s singles competition of the 2014 Wimbledon Championships and aim for his eighth Grand Slam in London. Milos Raonic of Canada wants to stop the Swiss and make his first-ever appearance in any majors final.
Milos Raonic of Canada reacts after defeating Nick Kyrgios of Australia in their men's singles quarter-final tennis match against at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London July 2, 2014.
The End of the Big 3 Era in Tennis— Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic Wary of Young Guys in 2014 Wimbledon Semifinals
Federer, the Wimbledon winner from 2003 to 2007 (five straight) then in 2009 and 2012, is actually on the comeback trail. Since that last Grand Slam win in London two years ago, the 32-year-old former World No. 1 has faltered in the each of the majors tourney he has joined.
In the last seven matches in a Grand Slam, he only reached the semifinals twice (both at the Australian Open) and never made the championship round. Last year, Federer got booted out in the second round of Wimbledon.
Federer is looking in-form in this tourney however. On the way to the SF, he beat Paolo Lorenzi (Italy), 6-1, 6-1, 6-3 in the first round; Gullies Muller (Luxembourg), 6-3, 7-5, 6-3 in the second round; Santiago Giraldo (Colombia), 6-3, 6-1, 6-3 in the third round.
He continued the romp in the deeper rounds beating quality opponents Tommy Robredo (Spain), 6-1, 6-4, 6-4 in the Round of 16 and then Stanislas Wawrinka (Switzerland), 3-6, 7-6 (5), 6-4, 6-4 in the quarterfinals.
All in all, the 17-time Grand Slam winner has only lost one set so far in the tournament.
That sounds like a daunting task for the 23-year-old Canadian, who could only muster three second round appearances in three Wimbledon Championships played (2011 to 2013). In other Grand Slam tourneys, Raonic did reach the Round of 16 four times (twice at the Australian Open and also two times at the US Open) but never got to the next round.
One of those, fourth round matches was against Federer at the 2013 Australian Open where the Swiss manhandled the Canadian in straight sets, 6-4, 7-6 (4), 6-2.
However, Raonic is having a breakthrough performance in London. He beat Matthew Ebden (Australia), 6-2, 6-4, 6-4 in the first round; Jack Sock (USA), 6-3, 6-4, 6-4 in the second round; and Lukasz Kubot (Poland), 7-6 (2), 7-6 (4), 6-2.
Raonic then took care of young guns Kei Nishikori (Japan), 4-6, 6-1, 7-6 (4), 6-3 in the Round of 16 and Nick Kyrgios (Australia), 6-7 (4), 6-2, 6-4, 7-6 (4) in the quarterfinals.
Will Federer return to the stage where he has won most of his Grand Slam titles? Or will Raonic prove that it’s finally time for a major takeover for the up-and-comers?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales