FIFA World Cup Closing Ceremony Line-Up Announced, Shakira Returns to Football Stage
By Christine Jane Caparras | July 4, 2014 6:31 PM EST
The 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil is nearing the business end of the competition with the quarterfinals happening this weekend and with the final match taking place in less than two weeks on July 13. As expected, the grand finale will be marked not only with some spectacular football but with a grand musical extravaganza as well. FIFA has announced the line-up of performers for the ceremony in its official website.
An aerial shot shows the Maracana stadium, one of the stadiums hosting the 2014 World Cup soccer matches, in Rio de Janeiro March 28, 2014
The closing ceremony will be held before kick-off for the final match at the iconic circular-shaped Maracana stadium in Rio de Janeiro. The Maracana was the location of Brazil's heartbreaking loss to Uruguay in the 1950 World Cup. With Uruguay now out of the competition, Brazil will be looking forward to their match against Colombia in the quarterfinals to go one step closer to a dream final.
The World Cup stage welcomes back Colombian superstar Shakira who made waves in 2010 with her worldwide hit "Waka, Waka (This Time For Africa)" which was the official anthem of the World Cup in South Africa. This time, she will take the stage with Carlinhos Brown to perform "La La La (Brazil 2014)" one of the songs in the FIFA Wrold Cup 2014 album. This will be Shakira's third appearance at a FIFA World Cup as a performer.
Brazilian artists Ivete Sangalo and Alexandre Pires will be treating fans to a medley of Brazilian songs to inject some local colour.
Pires will also be sharing the stage with Wyclef and Santana to perform the Official Anthem of the 2014 FIFA World Cup, "Dar Um Jeito."
The opening ceremony which was held at the Arena do Sao Paulo was graced by Latin Superstar Jennifer Lopez, Pitbull and Brazilian singer Claudia Leite who jointly performed the song "Ole Ola"
Colombian star Shakira has good memories from being involved in the World Cup. She states that football is a big part of her life being in a relationship with Spain's Gerard Pique with whom she has a young son called Milan. Her native Colombia is one of eight teams still in with a chance to make it to the final. They play against Brazil on July 4 after rivals Germany and France face off. Netherlands will then go against Costa Rica after Argentina take on Belgium.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Jeremy Lin Seeks Respect From Lakers Star Kobe Bryant
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales