FIFA World Cup Closing Ceremony Line-Up Announced, Shakira Returns to Football Stage
By Christine Jane Caparras | July 4, 2014 6:31 PM EST
The 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil is nearing the business end of the competition with the quarterfinals happening this weekend and with the final match taking place in less than two weeks on July 13. As expected, the grand finale will be marked not only with some spectacular football but with a grand musical extravaganza as well. FIFA has announced the line-up of performers for the ceremony in its official website.
An aerial shot shows the Maracana stadium, one of the stadiums hosting the 2014 World Cup soccer matches, in Rio de Janeiro March 28, 2014
The closing ceremony will be held before kick-off for the final match at the iconic circular-shaped Maracana stadium in Rio de Janeiro. The Maracana was the location of Brazil's heartbreaking loss to Uruguay in the 1950 World Cup. With Uruguay now out of the competition, Brazil will be looking forward to their match against Colombia in the quarterfinals to go one step closer to a dream final.
The World Cup stage welcomes back Colombian superstar Shakira who made waves in 2010 with her worldwide hit "Waka, Waka (This Time For Africa)" which was the official anthem of the World Cup in South Africa. This time, she will take the stage with Carlinhos Brown to perform "La La La (Brazil 2014)" one of the songs in the FIFA Wrold Cup 2014 album. This will be Shakira's third appearance at a FIFA World Cup as a performer.
Brazilian artists Ivete Sangalo and Alexandre Pires will be treating fans to a medley of Brazilian songs to inject some local colour.
Pires will also be sharing the stage with Wyclef and Santana to perform the Official Anthem of the 2014 FIFA World Cup, "Dar Um Jeito."
The opening ceremony which was held at the Arena do Sao Paulo was graced by Latin Superstar Jennifer Lopez, Pitbull and Brazilian singer Claudia Leite who jointly performed the song "Ole Ola"
Colombian star Shakira has good memories from being involved in the World Cup. She states that football is a big part of her life being in a relationship with Spain's Gerard Pique with whom she has a young son called Milan. Her native Colombia is one of eight teams still in with a chance to make it to the final. They play against Brazil on July 4 after rivals Germany and France face off. Netherlands will then go against Costa Rica after Argentina take on Belgium.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS