FIFA World Cup Closing Ceremony Line-Up Announced, Shakira Returns to Football Stage
By Christine Jane Caparras | July 4, 2014 6:31 PM EST
The 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil is nearing the business end of the competition with the quarterfinals happening this weekend and with the final match taking place in less than two weeks on July 13. As expected, the grand finale will be marked not only with some spectacular football but with a grand musical extravaganza as well. FIFA has announced the line-up of performers for the ceremony in its official website.
An aerial shot shows the Maracana stadium, one of the stadiums hosting the 2014 World Cup soccer matches, in Rio de Janeiro March 28, 2014
The closing ceremony will be held before kick-off for the final match at the iconic circular-shaped Maracana stadium in Rio de Janeiro. The Maracana was the location of Brazil's heartbreaking loss to Uruguay in the 1950 World Cup. With Uruguay now out of the competition, Brazil will be looking forward to their match against Colombia in the quarterfinals to go one step closer to a dream final.
The World Cup stage welcomes back Colombian superstar Shakira who made waves in 2010 with her worldwide hit "Waka, Waka (This Time For Africa)" which was the official anthem of the World Cup in South Africa. This time, she will take the stage with Carlinhos Brown to perform "La La La (Brazil 2014)" one of the songs in the FIFA Wrold Cup 2014 album. This will be Shakira's third appearance at a FIFA World Cup as a performer.
Brazilian artists Ivete Sangalo and Alexandre Pires will be treating fans to a medley of Brazilian songs to inject some local colour.
Pires will also be sharing the stage with Wyclef and Santana to perform the Official Anthem of the 2014 FIFA World Cup, "Dar Um Jeito."
The opening ceremony which was held at the Arena do Sao Paulo was graced by Latin Superstar Jennifer Lopez, Pitbull and Brazilian singer Claudia Leite who jointly performed the song "Ole Ola"
Colombian star Shakira has good memories from being involved in the World Cup. She states that football is a big part of her life being in a relationship with Spain's Gerard Pique with whom she has a young son called Milan. Her native Colombia is one of eight teams still in with a chance to make it to the final. They play against Brazil on July 4 after rivals Germany and France face off. Netherlands will then go against Costa Rica after Argentina take on Belgium.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Striker Fernando Torres Heads To AC Milan
- Top 10 WTA Fastest Tennis Serves of All Time
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Signing A Striker Is Still Considered By Wenger
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million