‘Modern Family’ Loses Gay Couple Cam and Mitchell in Iranian Version [VIDEO]
By Anne Lu | July 4, 2014 5:50 PM EST
“Modern Family” has lost Cam and Mitchell in its unauthorised Iranian version. The Iran State TV appears to have ripped off the American sitcom scene by scene in “Haft Sang,” but without the gay couple.
Modern Family cast members Eric Stonestreet (top), Sarah Hyland (C) and Ariel Winter (L) step off their plane on Hamilton Island in Queensland February 25, 2014. The cast and crew of U.S. comedy television series \"Modern Family\" arrived on the resort island on Tuesday to film their Australian vacation episode. REUTERS/James Morgan/Handout via Reuters
A side-by-side comparison video of the two shows has been uploaded on YouTube. The video features scenes from “Haft Sang” that seem to mimic frames from “Modern Family.”
There’s just one big difference: there’s no Cam and Mitchell, the gay couple who adopted their daughter Lily from Vietnam.
According to one Reddit user, the two shows are indeed similar.
“As a Persian speaker, I can confirm the script is almost exactly the same as the Modern Family scenes shown. (only slight changes here and there),” user _flac wrote.
“Modern Family” revolves around three families headed by patriarch Jay Pritchett (Ed O’Neill), who married his younger second wife, Gloria (Sofia Vergara). His daughter Claire (Julie Bowen) married Phil (Ty Burrell), and they have three kids together. Jay’s gay son Mitch (Jesse Tyler Ferguson) is raising adopted daughter Lily (Aubrey Anderson-Emmons) with his partner Cam (Eric Stonestreet).
“Haft Sang” also features a big extended family with a Jay-like head patriarch. However, instead of having a gay couple, the show from the ultra conservative Islamic nation has a heterosexual couple instead.
According to Slate, the show is a programming of the Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting (IRIB), and was first aired on Sunday.
Only two episodes have been aired so far, and both appeared to be nearly exact copies of the U.S. series’ first two episodes.
Phil and Claire are named Mohsen and Leila in the Iranian show, and their children are named Shaahi and Shadi, which appear to be Luke (Nolan Gould) and Alex’s (Ariel Winter) counterparts. Haley, played by Sarah Hyland, is a teenage boy in the other show named Amir.
Jay and Gloria are Nasir and Mehri, while Manny, Gloria’s son from a previous marriage, is the Iranian couple’s child named Hamed. Mitchell and Cam are married man and wife team of Behrooz and Elham. Like Cam and Mitchell, Behrooz and Elham have also adopted a child in the first episode.
In the comparison video, Haley and her boyfriend were in her room, and her mum Claire, wanting to check on them, entered the room in the guise of providing refreshments. In Iran, however, friendships between opposite sexes, even for children, aren’t allowed. That’s why the Iranian version featured Amir and his male friend in his room.
“Haft Sang” literally means “seven stones,” and has come from a children’s game in Iran.
“Modern Family,” on the other hand, has concluded its fifth season in May. It has been renewed for a sixth season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia