Prince Harry Records Message to Support England Women's Rugby World Cup Team [VIDEO]
By Christine Jane Caparras | July 4, 2014 4:55 PM EST
The 2014 FIFA World Cup is nearing its end in Brazil and England underachieved by bowing out of the tournament in the group stage after failing to win a single match. English sports fans have put that behind them and are now looking ahead to the Women's Rugby World Cup and no other than Prince Harry has expressed his backing of the England Women's Rugby Team through a video message.
Britain's Prince Harry waves to the media after a meeting with Chile's President Michelle Bachelet at the La Moneda Presidential Palace in Santiago, June 27, 2014. Prince Harry is in Chile for a 3-day tour.
Prince Harry is the Vice Patron of the Rugby Football Union and has recorded a video message that showed his support for the team and called on others to do the same. (video below)
Chris Robshaw, the captain of the England Rugby Men's team launched the video campaign to raise awareness and support for his female counterparts.
The event takes place in Marcousis, Paris where the England team will be facing Rugby giants Samoa in their opening game on August 1. They will then go up against Spain and Canada in the first stage of the competition before hoping to advance to the semi-finals and finals which will be held on August 13 and 17 respectively.
"Today I'm calling on you to get behind the team. While we can't all be there at the tournament to cheer them on in person, we want to send as many good luck messages as we can to let them know we're right behind them. Come on England!" said Harry in the short video message where he is also seen encouraging everyone to use the hashtag #CarryThemHome when sending good luck messages to the team.
The team is delighted to receive the backing of the famous Royal and are optimistic about their chances in the competition as reported by the Telegaph.
"We are feeling confident going into the World Cup in Paris; But knowing we've got the country behind us will give us a massive boost and hopefully spur us on to World Cup glory. It will be incredible reading everyone's messages of support before we head onto the pitch." said Katy McLean, the England Rugby Women's Team Captain.
McLean also said that the support from the Prince has been received well by the team and his support will help bring a 16th man with them on the field.
"It is incredible to know that Prince Harry will be backing us as we head into the Rugby World Cup. It's given all the girls in the squad a massive lift and we hope it will encourage lots more people to take an interest in women's rugby and follow our progress in Paris." she ended.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’