Prince Harry Records Message to Support England Women's Rugby World Cup Team [VIDEO]
By Christine Jane Caparras | July 4, 2014 4:55 PM EST
The 2014 FIFA World Cup is nearing its end in Brazil and England underachieved by bowing out of the tournament in the group stage after failing to win a single match. English sports fans have put that behind them and are now looking ahead to the Women's Rugby World Cup and no other than Prince Harry has expressed his backing of the England Women's Rugby Team through a video message.
Britain's Prince Harry waves to the media after a meeting with Chile's President Michelle Bachelet at the La Moneda Presidential Palace in Santiago, June 27, 2014. Prince Harry is in Chile for a 3-day tour.
Prince Harry is the Vice Patron of the Rugby Football Union and has recorded a video message that showed his support for the team and called on others to do the same. (video below)
Chris Robshaw, the captain of the England Rugby Men's team launched the video campaign to raise awareness and support for his female counterparts.
The event takes place in Marcousis, Paris where the England team will be facing Rugby giants Samoa in their opening game on August 1. They will then go up against Spain and Canada in the first stage of the competition before hoping to advance to the semi-finals and finals which will be held on August 13 and 17 respectively.
"Today I'm calling on you to get behind the team. While we can't all be there at the tournament to cheer them on in person, we want to send as many good luck messages as we can to let them know we're right behind them. Come on England!" said Harry in the short video message where he is also seen encouraging everyone to use the hashtag #CarryThemHome when sending good luck messages to the team.
The team is delighted to receive the backing of the famous Royal and are optimistic about their chances in the competition as reported by the Telegaph.
"We are feeling confident going into the World Cup in Paris; But knowing we've got the country behind us will give us a massive boost and hopefully spur us on to World Cup glory. It will be incredible reading everyone's messages of support before we head onto the pitch." said Katy McLean, the England Rugby Women's Team Captain.
McLean also said that the support from the Prince has been received well by the team and his support will help bring a 16th man with them on the field.
"It is incredible to know that Prince Harry will be backing us as we head into the Rugby World Cup. It's given all the girls in the squad a massive lift and we hope it will encourage lots more people to take an interest in women's rugby and follow our progress in Paris." she ended.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation