Prince Harry Records Message to Support England Women's Rugby World Cup Team [VIDEO]
By Christine Jane Caparras | July 4, 2014 4:55 PM EST
The 2014 FIFA World Cup is nearing its end in Brazil and England underachieved by bowing out of the tournament in the group stage after failing to win a single match. English sports fans have put that behind them and are now looking ahead to the Women's Rugby World Cup and no other than Prince Harry has expressed his backing of the England Women's Rugby Team through a video message.
Britain's Prince Harry waves to the media after a meeting with Chile's President Michelle Bachelet at the La Moneda Presidential Palace in Santiago, June 27, 2014. Prince Harry is in Chile for a 3-day tour.
Prince Harry is the Vice Patron of the Rugby Football Union and has recorded a video message that showed his support for the team and called on others to do the same. (video below)
Chris Robshaw, the captain of the England Rugby Men's team launched the video campaign to raise awareness and support for his female counterparts.
The event takes place in Marcousis, Paris where the England team will be facing Rugby giants Samoa in their opening game on August 1. They will then go up against Spain and Canada in the first stage of the competition before hoping to advance to the semi-finals and finals which will be held on August 13 and 17 respectively.
"Today I'm calling on you to get behind the team. While we can't all be there at the tournament to cheer them on in person, we want to send as many good luck messages as we can to let them know we're right behind them. Come on England!" said Harry in the short video message where he is also seen encouraging everyone to use the hashtag #CarryThemHome when sending good luck messages to the team.
The team is delighted to receive the backing of the famous Royal and are optimistic about their chances in the competition as reported by the Telegaph.
"We are feeling confident going into the World Cup in Paris; But knowing we've got the country behind us will give us a massive boost and hopefully spur us on to World Cup glory. It will be incredible reading everyone's messages of support before we head onto the pitch." said Katy McLean, the England Rugby Women's Team Captain.
McLean also said that the support from the Prince has been received well by the team and his support will help bring a 16th man with them on the field.
"It is incredible to know that Prince Harry will be backing us as we head into the Rugby World Cup. It's given all the girls in the squad a massive lift and we hope it will encourage lots more people to take an interest in women's rugby and follow our progress in Paris." she ended.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Serena Williams and Rumoured Boyfriend Patrick Mouratoglou Spotted on a Date in NYC
- UFC President Dana White Says He is Very Excited for Anderson Silva’s Comeback in January
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Claims that Fabregas will Play Best Football Under Him
- 10 Celebrities Who Took The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge: Justin Bieber, Selena Gomez, Chris Pratt & LeBron James [VIDEOS]
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists