Prince Harry Records Message to Support England Women's Rugby World Cup Team [VIDEO]
By Christine Jane Caparras | July 4, 2014 4:55 PM EST
The 2014 FIFA World Cup is nearing its end in Brazil and England underachieved by bowing out of the tournament in the group stage after failing to win a single match. English sports fans have put that behind them and are now looking ahead to the Women's Rugby World Cup and no other than Prince Harry has expressed his backing of the England Women's Rugby Team through a video message.
Britain's Prince Harry waves to the media after a meeting with Chile's President Michelle Bachelet at the La Moneda Presidential Palace in Santiago, June 27, 2014. Prince Harry is in Chile for a 3-day tour.
Prince Harry is the Vice Patron of the Rugby Football Union and has recorded a video message that showed his support for the team and called on others to do the same. (video below)
Chris Robshaw, the captain of the England Rugby Men's team launched the video campaign to raise awareness and support for his female counterparts.
The event takes place in Marcousis, Paris where the England team will be facing Rugby giants Samoa in their opening game on August 1. They will then go up against Spain and Canada in the first stage of the competition before hoping to advance to the semi-finals and finals which will be held on August 13 and 17 respectively.
"Today I'm calling on you to get behind the team. While we can't all be there at the tournament to cheer them on in person, we want to send as many good luck messages as we can to let them know we're right behind them. Come on England!" said Harry in the short video message where he is also seen encouraging everyone to use the hashtag #CarryThemHome when sending good luck messages to the team.
The team is delighted to receive the backing of the famous Royal and are optimistic about their chances in the competition as reported by the Telegaph.
"We are feeling confident going into the World Cup in Paris; But knowing we've got the country behind us will give us a massive boost and hopefully spur us on to World Cup glory. It will be incredible reading everyone's messages of support before we head onto the pitch." said Katy McLean, the England Rugby Women's Team Captain.
McLean also said that the support from the Prince has been received well by the team and his support will help bring a 16th man with them on the field.
"It is incredible to know that Prince Harry will be backing us as we head into the Rugby World Cup. It's given all the girls in the squad a massive lift and we hope it will encourage lots more people to take an interest in women's rugby and follow our progress in Paris." she ended.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Grigor Dimitrov Turns To Novak Djokovic For Love Advice; Dimitrov and Sharapova At The 2014 China Open
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate