Prince Harry Records Message to Support England Women's Rugby World Cup Team [VIDEO]
By Christine Jane Caparras | July 4, 2014 4:55 PM EST
The 2014 FIFA World Cup is nearing its end in Brazil and England underachieved by bowing out of the tournament in the group stage after failing to win a single match. English sports fans have put that behind them and are now looking ahead to the Women's Rugby World Cup and no other than Prince Harry has expressed his backing of the England Women's Rugby Team through a video message.
Britain's Prince Harry waves to the media after a meeting with Chile's President Michelle Bachelet at the La Moneda Presidential Palace in Santiago, June 27, 2014. Prince Harry is in Chile for a 3-day tour.
Prince Harry is the Vice Patron of the Rugby Football Union and has recorded a video message that showed his support for the team and called on others to do the same. (video below)
Chris Robshaw, the captain of the England Rugby Men's team launched the video campaign to raise awareness and support for his female counterparts.
The event takes place in Marcousis, Paris where the England team will be facing Rugby giants Samoa in their opening game on August 1. They will then go up against Spain and Canada in the first stage of the competition before hoping to advance to the semi-finals and finals which will be held on August 13 and 17 respectively.
"Today I'm calling on you to get behind the team. While we can't all be there at the tournament to cheer them on in person, we want to send as many good luck messages as we can to let them know we're right behind them. Come on England!" said Harry in the short video message where he is also seen encouraging everyone to use the hashtag #CarryThemHome when sending good luck messages to the team.
The team is delighted to receive the backing of the famous Royal and are optimistic about their chances in the competition as reported by the Telegaph.
"We are feeling confident going into the World Cup in Paris; But knowing we've got the country behind us will give us a massive boost and hopefully spur us on to World Cup glory. It will be incredible reading everyone's messages of support before we head onto the pitch." said Katy McLean, the England Rugby Women's Team Captain.
McLean also said that the support from the Prince has been received well by the team and his support will help bring a 16th man with them on the field.
"It is incredible to know that Prince Harry will be backing us as we head into the Rugby World Cup. It's given all the girls in the squad a massive lift and we hope it will encourage lots more people to take an interest in women's rugby and follow our progress in Paris." she ended.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- Manchester United Transfer News: Van Gaal Hits Back At Guardiola Claiming Every Player He Spoke To Wants Old Trafford Move
- Manchester United: Van Gaal Warns Stars That He Will Willingly Bench Them