NBA News: Indiana Pacers Seek Trade to Acquire Phoenix Suns PG Goran Dragic
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 4, 2014 4:51 PM EST
The Indiana Pacers seek to reinforce their offense with the one-man fast break show of Goran Dragic. How to acquire him with the limited assets and near capped out salary space will be a challenge.
NBA: Indiana Pacers at New York Knicks
The Eastern conference runner-up Pacers are seeking ways to improve their team after a dismal last quarter of the season and playoffs last year. They have started their revamp adding C.J. Miles and Damjan Rudez, two players with range, to the roster Wednesday. ESPN's Marc Stein was the latest to fuel fire of talks of player movement in Indiana with the Phoenix Sun as trade partners.
— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) July 3, 2014
SBnation.com reports that the 2014 Most Improved Player should not be in any discussions for a team switch yet the contract situation of restricted free agent Eric Bledsoe and the interests of several teams to pony up bigger assets have the Phoenix Suns listening but not wholly admitting to putting the springy guard on any trade table. He will be paid $7.5 million next year with a player option for the same amount for the following year. His production last year would put him among the underpaid players and he can use the opt-out clause to seek a bigger contract after this year.
Nicknamed the Dragon, Dragic was the driving force to the relentless fast breaking attack of the most surprising team of last year. Phoenix was in the mix in the last playoff spot in the competitive Western conference only to fall to the Memphis Grizzlies during the last three games of the season. The speculation is ripe that President Larry Bird is considering a sign and trade deal for Dragic in exchange for enigmatic guard Lance Stephenson who is also going to command higher compensation as a restricted free agent.
They can also include combo guard George Hill whose salary can be also absorbed by the Suns given of their under the luxury tax status. The Indiana Pacers have been active in the off-season having also been in conversations with the Boston Celtics in a Rajon Rondo multi-team trade in their bid to finally get over the hump and compete in the NBA Finals.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales