Chris Colfer Announces Exit from Hit Musical Glee - Truth Behind His Twitter Statement
By nidhi tewari | July 4, 2014 1:58 PM EST
Fans of musical television series "Glee" were in a bit of shock on Thursday when it was announced by the favorite character Chris Colfer on Twitter that he is leaving the hit musical. "Due to personal issues, I have been let go from the cast of Glee," he said on Twitter. "Explanations will come shortly."
However none of the above news holds the truth. In reality, the 24-year-old's Twitter account was hacked and the message posted on social media was not written by Colfer, it has now been revealed, various media agencies are reporting. Colfer is still very much a part of the musical "Glee" and will continue to star in it.
"We've been alerted that Chris Colfer's twitter account has been hacked," 20th Century Fox said in a statement, on Twitter.
"Rumours of his dismissal from Glee could not be further from the truth. We love Chris and look forward to working with him again this season," the statement added.
However the news spread like a fire on Twitter and fans were frenzied with the news. The Tweet from Colfer was re-tweeted more than 5400 times. At the time Colfer's account was hacked, he was travelling and was in a flight where he did not have access to Internet to delete the tweet, SMH reports.
"Apparently I missed quite the INTERESTING day while aboard my flight. I'm just glad I wasn't "killed by a fruit truck" again," Chris wrote on Twitter on Friday.
Colfer plays the character of an openly gay student Kurt Hummel on the hit show and has been very popular with the audience. The actor, who is openly gay in real life too, has also won a Golden Globe Award for best supporting actor in 2011. He has also received two Emmy Award nominations for his performance in 2010 and 2011 for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series.
The American actor was also named in one of the 2011 Time 100, Time's list of the 100 most influential people, according to his bio on Wikipedia.
"Glee" is a popular show and was to return in fall for its final season, but Fox has now announced some time back that the show will return as a "mid-season" program in January of 2015 instead.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Spoiler Update: Return of ‘Asylum’ Character
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate