Chris Colfer Announces Exit from Hit Musical Glee - Truth Behind His Twitter Statement
By nidhi tewari | July 4, 2014 1:58 PM EST
Fans of musical television series "Glee" were in a bit of shock on Thursday when it was announced by the favorite character Chris Colfer on Twitter that he is leaving the hit musical. "Due to personal issues, I have been let go from the cast of Glee," he said on Twitter. "Explanations will come shortly."
However none of the above news holds the truth. In reality, the 24-year-old's Twitter account was hacked and the message posted on social media was not written by Colfer, it has now been revealed, various media agencies are reporting. Colfer is still very much a part of the musical "Glee" and will continue to star in it.
"We've been alerted that Chris Colfer's twitter account has been hacked," 20th Century Fox said in a statement, on Twitter.
"Rumours of his dismissal from Glee could not be further from the truth. We love Chris and look forward to working with him again this season," the statement added.
However the news spread like a fire on Twitter and fans were frenzied with the news. The Tweet from Colfer was re-tweeted more than 5400 times. At the time Colfer's account was hacked, he was travelling and was in a flight where he did not have access to Internet to delete the tweet, SMH reports.
"Apparently I missed quite the INTERESTING day while aboard my flight. I'm just glad I wasn't "killed by a fruit truck" again," Chris wrote on Twitter on Friday.
Colfer plays the character of an openly gay student Kurt Hummel on the hit show and has been very popular with the audience. The actor, who is openly gay in real life too, has also won a Golden Globe Award for best supporting actor in 2011. He has also received two Emmy Award nominations for his performance in 2010 and 2011 for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series.
The American actor was also named in one of the 2011 Time 100, Time's list of the 100 most influential people, according to his bio on Wikipedia.
"Glee" is a popular show and was to return in fall for its final season, but Fox has now announced some time back that the show will return as a "mid-season" program in January of 2015 instead.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Han Solo's Super Star Destroyer, Costumes And Weapons
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’: Top 5 Revelations Of Season 8
- 'NCIS' Season 12 Spoilers: Ziva David Out, Tony's New Love Could be Stephanie Jacobsen's Leia; Troian Bellisario Teases 'Reunion' Photo
- 'X-Men: Apocalypse' : Wolverine's Costume's Leaked Image Hints to Traditional Look, Hugh Jackman to Play the Character Till Scripts Excite Him
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Tatooine Set Leaked, Reveals Tusken Raiders Huts
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015