Chris Colfer Announces Exit from Hit Musical Glee - Truth Behind His Twitter Statement
By nidhi tewari | July 4, 2014 1:58 PM EST
Fans of musical television series "Glee" were in a bit of shock on Thursday when it was announced by the favorite character Chris Colfer on Twitter that he is leaving the hit musical. "Due to personal issues, I have been let go from the cast of Glee," he said on Twitter. "Explanations will come shortly."
However none of the above news holds the truth. In reality, the 24-year-old's Twitter account was hacked and the message posted on social media was not written by Colfer, it has now been revealed, various media agencies are reporting. Colfer is still very much a part of the musical "Glee" and will continue to star in it.
"We've been alerted that Chris Colfer's twitter account has been hacked," 20th Century Fox said in a statement, on Twitter.
"Rumours of his dismissal from Glee could not be further from the truth. We love Chris and look forward to working with him again this season," the statement added.
However the news spread like a fire on Twitter and fans were frenzied with the news. The Tweet from Colfer was re-tweeted more than 5400 times. At the time Colfer's account was hacked, he was travelling and was in a flight where he did not have access to Internet to delete the tweet, SMH reports.
"Apparently I missed quite the INTERESTING day while aboard my flight. I'm just glad I wasn't "killed by a fruit truck" again," Chris wrote on Twitter on Friday.
Colfer plays the character of an openly gay student Kurt Hummel on the hit show and has been very popular with the audience. The actor, who is openly gay in real life too, has also won a Golden Globe Award for best supporting actor in 2011. He has also received two Emmy Award nominations for his performance in 2010 and 2011 for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series.
The American actor was also named in one of the 2011 Time 100, Time's list of the 100 most influential people, according to his bio on Wikipedia.
"Glee" is a popular show and was to return in fall for its final season, but Fox has now announced some time back that the show will return as a "mid-season" program in January of 2015 instead.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 4 New Zealand Promo: Beth Greene’s Brave Side In 'Slabtown'
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2