Collapse of Brazil Overpass Places Question on Safety of World Cup Tourists
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 4, 2014 1:34 PM EST
A partly built overpass in Belo Horizonte in Brazil collapsed on a public bus, killing at least two persons and injuring 19 people on Thursday.
The accident highlights the risks that World Cup tourists are facing because some of the infrastructure that were constructed mainly for the international soccer tournament were rushed and incomplete in some parts such as roads that lead to nowhere and unfinished railway stations.
In fact, accidents have been recorded prior to the June 12 opening of the FIFA World Cup 2014.
Belo Horizonte is a World Cup venue since the Atletico Mineiro Stadium is located in the city just 3 kilometres away from the accident site. A semi-final game is slated in Mineirao on Tuesday.
The cause of the collapse is still unclear. The collapsed overpass is part of a network of bus lanes that Brazil targeted for use in the World Cup, but it was not completed on time. Brazil spent $11 billion to meet the infrastructure requirements of hosting the World Cup games, but the South American nation failed in so many ways.
The Brazlilian team is slated to battle Colombia on Friday afternoon in Fortaleza. The Colombian team is the favourite of many spectators to win in their match against the host team because of their free-flowing style and carefree attitude, no doubt mesmerized by 22-year-old attacking midfielder James Rodriguez who has scored five goals so far.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Serena Williams and Rumoured Boyfriend Patrick Mouratoglou Spotted on a Date in NYC
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Mehdi Benatia and Alex Song in the Mix as Wenger Looks to 'Strengthen Defensive Department'
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015