Collapse of Brazil Overpass Places Question on Safety of World Cup Tourists
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 4, 2014 1:34 PM EST
A partly built overpass in Belo Horizonte in Brazil collapsed on a public bus, killing at least two persons and injuring 19 people on Thursday.
The accident highlights the risks that World Cup tourists are facing because some of the infrastructure that were constructed mainly for the international soccer tournament were rushed and incomplete in some parts such as roads that lead to nowhere and unfinished railway stations.
In fact, accidents have been recorded prior to the June 12 opening of the FIFA World Cup 2014.
Belo Horizonte is a World Cup venue since the Atletico Mineiro Stadium is located in the city just 3 kilometres away from the accident site. A semi-final game is slated in Mineirao on Tuesday.
The cause of the collapse is still unclear. The collapsed overpass is part of a network of bus lanes that Brazil targeted for use in the World Cup, but it was not completed on time. Brazil spent $11 billion to meet the infrastructure requirements of hosting the World Cup games, but the South American nation failed in so many ways.
The Brazlilian team is slated to battle Colombia on Friday afternoon in Fortaleza. The Colombian team is the favourite of many spectators to win in their match against the host team because of their free-flowing style and carefree attitude, no doubt mesmerized by 22-year-old attacking midfielder James Rodriguez who has scored five goals so far.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Manchester United Owners Set To Sell Club In £3B Deal After Acquiring Cristiano Ronaldo, Report Says
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- Ukraine Under Pressure To Accept EU Brokered Gas Deal With Russia: Resists High Prices Demanded By Russia