People Born During Winter: Tend to Be More Lefty
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | July 4, 2014 12:48 PM EST
According to a new finding, winter babies especially men born between November and January tend to be more lefty compared to others. The data showed that up to 9 per cent of all children born in winter are left handed.
People especially men born during winter are mostly left handed when compared to others.
This interesting observation was published in the journal Cortex and it found “in a survey of nearly 13000 adults from Austria and Germany, a great majority of left handed people, especially among men, were born during November, December, and January, with only 82 percent being born between February and October, and 10.5 percent being born between November and January.”
The lead author, Ulrich Tran, believes “this phenomenon is best explained by the theory that light exposure can lead to varied testosterone exposure in the womb.”
"Presumably, the relative darkness during the period November to January is not directly connected to this birth seasonality of handedness. We assume that the relative brightness during the period May to July, half a year before, is its distal cause", he explained.
Tran also added that “US neurologists Norman Geschwind and Albert Galaburda first argued that testosterone levels may influence handedness in the 1980s.”
Norman and his co-authors suggested that “Testosterone delays the maturation of the left brain hemisphere during embryonic development. The left brain hemisphere is dominant among right-handers, the right brain hemisphere is dominant among left-handers.”
Trans and his colleagues add to this theory, arguing that if a child's mother is exposed to more daylight while pregnant, her testosterone levels may rise high enough to affect the baby's own levels, potentially leading to a change in handedness.”
To find out the exact correlation in this case, future investigations are required.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Bill Clinton Credits Sugar-Free Diet For Weight Loss: A Vegan Diet If Not Followed Properly Can Cause Weight Gain
- Overdose Of Prescription Drug Oxycodone Even Deadlier Than Heroin
- The Secret Behind HIV Infection Found: Reasons Why It Could Not Be Eradicated
- Dr Oz: Your Diet Can Affect Your Mood, Five Diets That Help Combat Depression
- Celebrity Smokers and the Ways by Which They Quit Smoking
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How