People Born During Winter: Tend to Be More Lefty
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | July 4, 2014 12:48 PM EST
According to a new finding, winter babies especially men born between November and January tend to be more lefty compared to others. The data showed that up to 9 per cent of all children born in winter are left handed.
People especially men born during winter are mostly left handed when compared to others.
This interesting observation was published in the journal Cortex and it found “in a survey of nearly 13000 adults from Austria and Germany, a great majority of left handed people, especially among men, were born during November, December, and January, with only 82 percent being born between February and October, and 10.5 percent being born between November and January.”
The lead author, Ulrich Tran, believes “this phenomenon is best explained by the theory that light exposure can lead to varied testosterone exposure in the womb.”
"Presumably, the relative darkness during the period November to January is not directly connected to this birth seasonality of handedness. We assume that the relative brightness during the period May to July, half a year before, is its distal cause", he explained.
Tran also added that “US neurologists Norman Geschwind and Albert Galaburda first argued that testosterone levels may influence handedness in the 1980s.”
Norman and his co-authors suggested that “Testosterone delays the maturation of the left brain hemisphere during embryonic development. The left brain hemisphere is dominant among right-handers, the right brain hemisphere is dominant among left-handers.”
Trans and his colleagues add to this theory, arguing that if a child's mother is exposed to more daylight while pregnant, her testosterone levels may rise high enough to affect the baby's own levels, potentially leading to a change in handedness.”
To find out the exact correlation in this case, future investigations are required.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Spreads Through Red Cross Vaccine - Ghana Nurse ‘Testifies’; The Truth About Red Cross
- Ebola News Regarding Wortham's Kindergarterners Infected is False, Angry Reactions
- Ebola Outbreak Blamed on Infected Bushmeat; First Family to Catch Virus Hunted Bats
- Ebola Is Changing The Religious Landscape In West Africa
- Ebola Outbreak To Continue Until Effective Vaccine Surfaces; 120,000 Women To Die of Childbirth
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch