People Born During Winter: Tend to Be More Lefty
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | July 4, 2014 12:48 PM EST
According to a new finding, winter babies especially men born between November and January tend to be more lefty compared to others. The data showed that up to 9 per cent of all children born in winter are left handed.
People especially men born during winter are mostly left handed when compared to others.
This interesting observation was published in the journal Cortex and it found “in a survey of nearly 13000 adults from Austria and Germany, a great majority of left handed people, especially among men, were born during November, December, and January, with only 82 percent being born between February and October, and 10.5 percent being born between November and January.”
The lead author, Ulrich Tran, believes “this phenomenon is best explained by the theory that light exposure can lead to varied testosterone exposure in the womb.”
"Presumably, the relative darkness during the period November to January is not directly connected to this birth seasonality of handedness. We assume that the relative brightness during the period May to July, half a year before, is its distal cause", he explained.
Tran also added that “US neurologists Norman Geschwind and Albert Galaburda first argued that testosterone levels may influence handedness in the 1980s.”
Norman and his co-authors suggested that “Testosterone delays the maturation of the left brain hemisphere during embryonic development. The left brain hemisphere is dominant among right-handers, the right brain hemisphere is dominant among left-handers.”
Trans and his colleagues add to this theory, arguing that if a child's mother is exposed to more daylight while pregnant, her testosterone levels may rise high enough to affect the baby's own levels, potentially leading to a change in handedness.”
To find out the exact correlation in this case, future investigations are required.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- HIV/AIDS Cure a Step Closer with Anti-Cancer Drugs 'Kicking' Virus Out of Infected Cells
- Dwayne Johnson Talks About Overcoming Depression
- 232 Teeth Extracted from a Teenager: World Record
- Johns Hopkins Hospital Agrees To Pay $190 Million To Settle Gynaecology Scandal
- Paris Hilton Quits Junk Food: A High Fat Diet Could Destroy Your Sense of Smell, Study
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown