People Born During Winter: Tend to Be More Lefty
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | July 4, 2014 12:48 PM EST
According to a new finding, winter babies especially men born between November and January tend to be more lefty compared to others. The data showed that up to 9 per cent of all children born in winter are left handed.
People especially men born during winter are mostly left handed when compared to others.
This interesting observation was published in the journal Cortex and it found “in a survey of nearly 13000 adults from Austria and Germany, a great majority of left handed people, especially among men, were born during November, December, and January, with only 82 percent being born between February and October, and 10.5 percent being born between November and January.”
The lead author, Ulrich Tran, believes “this phenomenon is best explained by the theory that light exposure can lead to varied testosterone exposure in the womb.”
"Presumably, the relative darkness during the period November to January is not directly connected to this birth seasonality of handedness. We assume that the relative brightness during the period May to July, half a year before, is its distal cause", he explained.
Tran also added that “US neurologists Norman Geschwind and Albert Galaburda first argued that testosterone levels may influence handedness in the 1980s.”
Norman and his co-authors suggested that “Testosterone delays the maturation of the left brain hemisphere during embryonic development. The left brain hemisphere is dominant among right-handers, the right brain hemisphere is dominant among left-handers.”
Trans and his colleagues add to this theory, arguing that if a child's mother is exposed to more daylight while pregnant, her testosterone levels may rise high enough to affect the baby's own levels, potentially leading to a change in handedness.”
To find out the exact correlation in this case, future investigations are required.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- New String Of Ebola In The Democratic Republic Of The Congo; DFAT Advises Against Travel
- Sex Change Surgery Gets Enhanced Cover From US Insurance Firms: Obama Regime's Policy Change Became The Trigger
- From 30-Inch To 16-Inch Waistline, Woman Shrinks Self With Corset [Video]
- Chilling: Ebola Spreads Through Sneeze and Cough Droplets And Toilet Seats
- Sex With 20 Women Or More Reduces Risk Of Prostate Cancer, Canadian Research Says
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight