NBA News: Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas Mavericks Agree on Three-Year, $30M Deal
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 4, 2014 12:42 PM EST
Dirk Nowitzki is giving his beloved Dallas Mavericks a discount so they can add marquee free agents and push for a second championship.
NBA: Playoffs-Dallas Mavericks at San Antonio Spurs
The Dallas Mavericks and the best shooting big man in the NBA have agreed to a three-year contract that would pay Nowitzki roughly $30 million, Yahoo! Sports reports. New contracts cannot be signed until Thursday July 10, and the deal is a handshake agreement between the two parties.
The 36-year-old German is taking a huge pay cut presumably as a strategy to add another key piece to the championship aspirations of the 2011 NBA Champions. This is similar to the contract signed by Tim Duncan with the San Antonio Spurs two years ago when he signed a three year deal with a player option for the last year. Duncan exercised that option a few days removed from winning his fifth championship to chase an unprecedented sixth.
The Mavericks on the other hand are hoping to add the third star to pair with Nowitzki and resurgent guard Monta Ellis who gave the Spurs a handful during their seven-game first round encounter in this year's playoffs. They have recently bolstered their line-up in their off-season re-acquisition of former Defensive Player of the year Tyson Chandler and guard Raymond Felton.
Dallas has been named as one of the top suitors for free agent forward Carmelo Anthony with whom the team met Thursday. However, owner Mark Cuban has recently stated that they cannot offer Anthony the full maximum allowable salary and are bonking on the prospect of a championship legacy with names like Nowitzki, Chandler and coach Rick Carlisle on the roster.
While Anthony is the top target of Dallas, they have also set their eyes on second tier targets playing the same spot as Anthony such as Houston Rockets' restricted free agent forward Chandler Parsons and Cleveland Cavaliers undrestricted free agent forward Luol Deng.
Dallas is also looking at finances to re-sign top contributors off the bench and role players such as forward Shawn Marion, guard Vince Carter and back-up point guard Devin Harris.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Manchester United Transfer News: Van Gaal Hits Back At Guardiola Claiming Every Player He Spoke To Wants Old Trafford Move
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border
- iPhone 6 Survives Drop, Both Accidental & Intentional
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?