Psychedelic Mushrooms Bring Better Dream
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | July 4, 2014 12:08 PM EST
Magic mushrooms or psilocybin mushrooms, also known psychedelic mushrooms, grow naturally worldwide. These mushrooms contain psychedelic drugs psilocybin and psilocin.
Reports suggested psilocybin mushrooms have likely been used since prehistoric times and may have been depicted in rock art.
Psychedelic Mushrooms lets you have a Better Dream
Many cultures have used these mushrooms in religious rites. In modern Western society, they are used recreationally for their psychedelic effects. Psilocybin is present in varying concentrations in over 200 species of Basidiomycota mushrooms.”
This was the first time the magic mushrooms were carried out to relate “the behavioral effects to biological changes.”
According to a study published in the journal Human Brain Mapping it is found that “People who consume these mushrooms, after “trips” that can be a bit scary and unpleasant, report feeling more optimistic, less self-centered, and even happier for months.”
"A good way to understand how the brain works is to perturb the system in a marked and novel way. Psychedelic drugs do precisely this and so are powerful tools for exploring what happens in the brain when consciousness is profoundly altered," Dr. Enzo Tagliazucchi, who led the study at Germany's Goethe University, said.
In this study, 15 volunteers were injected with psilocybin and their respective brain scanning reports were obtained using functional magnetic resonance imaging scanner.
The result showed that “with psilocybin, activity in the more primitive brain network linked to emotional thinking became more pronounced, with several parts of the network - such as the hippocampus and anterior cingulate cortex - active at the same time.
This pattern is similar to when people are dreaming. They also found that volunteers on psilocybin had more disjointed and uncoordinated activity in the brain network that is linked to high-level thinking, including self-consciousness.”
Psychedelic drug (such as LSD) users often experience a series of "expanded consciousness including vivid imagination and dream-like states.”
“I was fascinated to see similarities between the pattern of brain activity in a psychedelic state and the pattern of brain activity during dream sleep, especially as both involve the primitive areas of the brain linked to emotions and memory," Robin Carhart-Harris of Imperial College London's Department of Medicine was quoted saying.
If everything goes fine, magic mushrooms could turn out to be a great source for potential treatment as far as depression is concerned in near future.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Maria Menounos Lost 40 Pounds; She Follows a Low Carb Vegetarian Diet, Her Weight Loss and Fitness Secrets Revealed
- 'Django Unchained' Actress Danielle Watts Mistaken As Prostitute And Arrested; Accused Police of Racism
- Airborne Version of Ebola Virus Could Wipe Out 1.2 Million; Aussie Doctor Appeals For Help
- A Wife's Happiness is More Crucial Than Her Husband's For a Long Lasting, Happy Marriage, Finds Study
- Kim Kardashian's Pregnancy Glow Returns; Rumour Mill Suggests That Kim Is Pregnant
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date