Weirdest Job Ever: NASA Employees Man To Sniff Objects[Watch Video]
By Afza Fathima | July 4, 2014 11:47 AM EST
NASA is usually associated with fascinating jobs like that of astronauts, rocket ship engineers and scientists. A job, classified as weird, which joins this list of fascinating jobs is that of a staff sniffer.
Hurricane Arthur off the coast of East Florida. July 1, 2014
George Aldrich, the staff sniffer at NASA, has the weirdest job in the world which involves sniffing everything that has to be sent up to space. In space, the tiniest of smells could stick around for years, so his job is considered important. Science Channel explained that if George Aldrich fails to identify just one problematic pong, a whole mission could be in jeopardy.
Aldrich was the chief sniffer at the Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center for 38 years, and Aldrich is proud for having made such good use of his nose. He confessed that his family and friends find him a little crazy.
Aldrich's job involves protecting the astronauts, at NASA's White Sands Test Facility in New Mexico, from unpleasant odours. Objects ranging from books to technical equipment, every little thing, is tested by Aldrich before it goes into the capsule with the astronauts.
Aldrich said, "The astronauts are actually allowed to have a small bag of personal belongings that usually includes things like a bible, family photos. I try to keep my sense of smell in tune so I play games with odours."
The importance of smelling objects, explained by the manager of the nasal lab at NASA, stated that on earth, foul odour can be aired out due to dilution of air, but in the space station, since there is no additional air, it cannot be possible to air out foul odours which can make the astronauts less productive and sick.
Starting his career in the year 1974, Aldrich conducted for NASA 851 smell missions.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- ISIS Taking U.S.-Airdropped Weapons An 'Embarrassment'; Another Yazidi Massacre Looming [VIDEO]
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’