Sony Xperia Z1, Xperia Z1 Compact and Xperia Z Ultra Android 4.4.4 Update Guide: Installation and Schedule
By Precious Silva | July 3, 2014 10:51 PM EST
Google has started releasing the Android 4.4.4 KitKat update to a variety of devices since last week. More importantly, the roll out of the latest firmware appears to be faster compared to previous updates. Whereas people expected Motorola or Google Play Edition to be one of the first lines of devices to receive the update, Sony's announcement came as a surprise. Fortunately, for Sony Xperia users, the company has started releasing the firmware surprising the market.
Sony Press kit
Miss India World 2014, Koyal Rana posing with Sony Xperia Z2 and SmartBand
Compared to other updates but similar to the Android 4.4.3, the Android 4.4.4 firmware is not a major update. Nonetheless, it does address an important fix for the OpenSSL bug associated with the previous Heartbleed issue. The fix intends to help users protect devices and their personal information against man-in-the-middle types of attacks. While it may not add features, users can benefit from the update and add more protection to their devices. According to Sony, devices in line for the update with software package build version 14.4.A.0.108 include Sony Xperia Z1, Xperia Z1 Compact and Xperia Z Ultra.
More importantly, Sony also claimed that they release updates at different times based on the country or operator. The company cannot provide exact details or date when the release will update specific handsets but it has started releasing the firmware. Sony's website offers more details about the firmware update:
- Android version: Google Android 4.4 (Kitkat)
- Latest available software: 14.4.A.0.108
- Release started: 2014-06-27
Users can check if their devices are already eligible for the update by opening: Settings > About phone > Build number / version.
- Android 4.4.4 including the latest enhancements and security updates from Google
- Updated and improved camera experience
- Improvements when using Google voice, Contacts, Music streaming and Google+
- The latest versions of our Sony apps for you to enjoy
- All of our latest bug fixes, optimisations & improvements
For those who have not received the notification on their devices, they can check manually via Settings -> About phone -> System Updates -> Check now. According to reports, one striking or odd thing about the release is that the firmware has not hit newer devices like Xperia M2 and Xperia Z2.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles