2014 Wimbledon Ladies Semifinals: Bouchard vs Halep Live Streaming and Preview
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 3, 2014 6:58 PM EST
These ladies who have a shot at destiny are yearning to erase bitter memories.
Always the bridesmaid but never the bride when it comes to Grand Slam, Simona Halep aims to advance to the Finals of the Wimbledon after several disappointments in previous tournaments. Halep seems to be always on the outside looking in for the past tournaments. She was eliminated in the quarterfinals of the Australian Open and lost in the Finals of the French Open to eventual champion Maria Sharapova. In tournaments she joined this year, she has a mediocre record of 4-3 in semifinal and final matches.
Eugenie Bouchard of Canada serves during her women's singles quarter-final tennis match against Angelique Kerber of Germany at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London July 2, 2014.
With the unexpected exits of tournament stalwarts Sharapova and Serena Williams, the number 3 ranking of Halep is sure to make her the favourite. She has already registered an impressive record of 26-9 for the year and now she hopes her winning experience can propel her to the Finals. Now, she hopes to advance over up and coming Canadian Eugenie Bouchard Thursday at 11:30 p.m.
"Now I have more experience and more confidence in myself because it's the second time I've got to this stage," she said. "I like grass, but it was difficult at the beginning of the tournament because I didn't have the timing. Then match by match and day to day I've got better."
Nevertheless, predicting who will come out on top in every match for the women's tournament has been a hit and miss so far.
Rising star "Canadian Sweetheart" Eugenie Bouchard is also poised to break through the final round as she tries to redeem herself from the semi-final heartaches she suffered in Roland Garros and in Melbourne where she was ousted by Sharapova and LI Na, respectively. The 20-year-old Canadian is the 13th ranked player in the world and will try to rebound from the bitter memories of her disappointing losses in the Australian and French Open this year.
"I'm excited to be in the semis. But, of course, I'm never satisfied, so I definitely want to go a step further," Bouchard told TheGuardian.com. "I played some great players when I lost in the semis and you don't win every single time. But I'm going to look forward to playing a little bit like I played today."
These skilled and fan favorite ladies have only met once during their careers with Halep one-upping Bouchard during the 16th round at Indian Wells, 6-2, 1-6, 6-4. However, the recent success of the rising superstar from Canada has turned the heads of many observers as she has reached all semi-final stages in each of the Grand Slam this year.
The entry of Halep and Bouchard into the semi-finals is a signal of the dawning of a new era in women's tennis. Bouchard booked her place by taking care of German Angelique Kerber while Halep made short work of No. 19 Saline Lisicki, the 2013 finalist, to advance.
With the recent development of these young stars, it would be hard to predict which of the two will advance to the Finals but one thing is for sure these ladies will give the audience one match-up to remember.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Rafael Nadal Set To Overtake Roger Federer Grand Slam Haul By 2017
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air