‘Doctor Who’ Star Peter Capaldi Cites David Bowie’s The Thin White Duke as Inspiration for 12th Doctor [VIDEO]
By Anne Lu | July 3, 2014 4:05 PM EST
“Doctor Who” is set to feature a new, darker Doctor inspired by David Bowie. Peter Capaldi, the show’s new titular star, has reportedly fashioned his character’s new incarnation from the rock icon.
According to a new report, Capaldi, being a huge Bowie fan, has borrowed a few fashion pointers from the singer’s 1976 persona, the Thin White Duke.
“He’s woven the future from the cloth of the past. Simple, stark and back to basics. No frills, no scarf, no messing, just 100 per cent Rebel Time Lord,” he was quoted by the Express as saying.
A source added of Capaldi’s new look, “He explained he drew inspiration for his Doctor Who look from his ‘scrapbook of ideas.’ He thought Bowie was the perfect look.”
In the new BBC-released photo of the 12th Doctor, Capaldi is seen wearing a three-piece suit with a black waistcoat and red-silk lining. The ensemble is similar to Bowie’s impeccable crisp look when he identified himself as the Thin White Duke for his album “Station to Station.”
It was also different from the 11th Doctor’s (Matt Smith) brown tweed jacket with elbow patches and signature bow tie.
The 12th Doctor, David Tennant, famously wore a suit with Converse All-Stars shoes, while the 11th Doctor (Christopher Eccleston) donned a leather jacket.
Capaldi will also be keeping his Scottish accent, according to the Express, unlike Tennant who altered his accent to sound more Southern, and Eccleston, whose Doctor had a Northern accent.
Meanwhile, Cybermen, the second most dreaded villains of the series, will be making a comeback.
“Doctor Who,” starring Capaldi as the 12th Doctor, will premiere in August. Jenna Coleman will return as companion Clara Oswald.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’: Blake And Louise Tell The True Story
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage