‘Doctor Who’ Star Peter Capaldi Cites David Bowie’s The Thin White Duke as Inspiration for 12th Doctor [VIDEO]
By Anne Lu | July 3, 2014 4:05 PM EST
“Doctor Who” is set to feature a new, darker Doctor inspired by David Bowie. Peter Capaldi, the show’s new titular star, has reportedly fashioned his character’s new incarnation from the rock icon.
According to a new report, Capaldi, being a huge Bowie fan, has borrowed a few fashion pointers from the singer’s 1976 persona, the Thin White Duke.
“He’s woven the future from the cloth of the past. Simple, stark and back to basics. No frills, no scarf, no messing, just 100 per cent Rebel Time Lord,” he was quoted by the Express as saying.
A source added of Capaldi’s new look, “He explained he drew inspiration for his Doctor Who look from his ‘scrapbook of ideas.’ He thought Bowie was the perfect look.”
In the new BBC-released photo of the 12th Doctor, Capaldi is seen wearing a three-piece suit with a black waistcoat and red-silk lining. The ensemble is similar to Bowie’s impeccable crisp look when he identified himself as the Thin White Duke for his album “Station to Station.”
It was also different from the 11th Doctor’s (Matt Smith) brown tweed jacket with elbow patches and signature bow tie.
The 12th Doctor, David Tennant, famously wore a suit with Converse All-Stars shoes, while the 11th Doctor (Christopher Eccleston) donned a leather jacket.
Capaldi will also be keeping his Scottish accent, according to the Express, unlike Tennant who altered his accent to sound more Southern, and Eccleston, whose Doctor had a Northern accent.
Meanwhile, Cybermen, the second most dreaded villains of the series, will be making a comeback.
“Doctor Who,” starring Capaldi as the 12th Doctor, will premiere in August. Jenna Coleman will return as companion Clara Oswald.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- Nina Dobrev Moves On From Ian Somerhalder: ‘TVD’ Actress Trying To Reconcile With Ex, ‘DWTS’ Star Derek Hough—Report Suggests
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Casting: Brothel Guard, Military Officer And More
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Skyler Samuels Roped In To Play Pivotal Role, Extended Teaser Released [VIDEO]
- ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Season 11 Premiere (Episode 1) Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘I Must Have Lost It On The Wind'
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best
- Australian Liberals Urge Expat Kiwis To Favour John Key In New Zealand Election