NBA News: Miami Heat Misses Out on Kyle Lowry, Agrees to Re-sign with Toronto Raptors
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 3, 2014 3:24 PM EST
The Miami Heat and the potentially returning Big Three of LeBron James, Chris Bosh and Dwayne Wade are running out of options to reload their roster.
Toronto Raptors Kyle Lowry (3) is fouled by Washington Wizards John Wall (2) during the first half of their NBA basketball game in Toronto, February 25, 2013. Credit: Reuters/Aaron Harris
Free agent guard Kyle Lowry agreed to remain with the Toronto Raptors for four more years in a contract extension worth $48 million, league sources notified Yahoo! Sports.
The fourth year of the deal is a player-option which Lowry can exercise if he wants to look for greener pastures. But right now his heart and soul is in Toronto. Lowry announced via social media site Twitter his decision to continue with the success and growth of the franchise.
This ain't Amir jersey y'all!! Lol..... it's for the 2014-15 season cause Toronto will be my home city http://t.co/kOFGonoKES
Re-signing Lowry has been the top priority of general manager Masai Ujiri since the beginning of the off-season. This is a breath of fresh air to a franchise that has seen a number of franchise cornerstones leave by demanding a trade or change teams during free agency which happened with Vince Carter and Chris Bosh. During the rebuilding years, Toronto also struggled to lure potential players and had to build through the draft snatching jewels in Demar Derozan, Terrence Ross and Jonas Valanciunas.
With his decision to stay, Lowry's popularity with the fans is expected to soar higher and his marketability to gain momentous proportions. The 28-year-old stocky point guard has been the target of several contending teams especially the Miami Heat who were looking to solidify a position of weakness during their recent title run. Other teams who were hot on the heels of Lowry were his former team Houston Rockets and the Dallas Mavericks among others.
In his second full season with the Raptors, Lowry registered borderline all-star numbers of 17.9 points, 7.4 assists and 4.7 rebounds per outing.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- Muslim NFL Player Husain Abdullah Penalised For Praying After Touchdown
- Manchester United Defender Phil Jones Fit To Play Versus Everton
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build