NBA News: Miami Heat Misses Out on Kyle Lowry, Agrees to Re-sign with Toronto Raptors
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 3, 2014 3:24 PM EST
The Miami Heat and the potentially returning Big Three of LeBron James, Chris Bosh and Dwayne Wade are running out of options to reload their roster.
Toronto Raptors Kyle Lowry (3) is fouled by Washington Wizards John Wall (2) during the first half of their NBA basketball game in Toronto, February 25, 2013. Credit: Reuters/Aaron Harris
Free agent guard Kyle Lowry agreed to remain with the Toronto Raptors for four more years in a contract extension worth $48 million, league sources notified Yahoo! Sports.
The fourth year of the deal is a player-option which Lowry can exercise if he wants to look for greener pastures. But right now his heart and soul is in Toronto. Lowry announced via social media site Twitter his decision to continue with the success and growth of the franchise.
This ain't Amir jersey y'all!! Lol..... it's for the 2014-15 season cause Toronto will be my home city http://t.co/kOFGonoKES
Re-signing Lowry has been the top priority of general manager Masai Ujiri since the beginning of the off-season. This is a breath of fresh air to a franchise that has seen a number of franchise cornerstones leave by demanding a trade or change teams during free agency which happened with Vince Carter and Chris Bosh. During the rebuilding years, Toronto also struggled to lure potential players and had to build through the draft snatching jewels in Demar Derozan, Terrence Ross and Jonas Valanciunas.
With his decision to stay, Lowry's popularity with the fans is expected to soar higher and his marketability to gain momentous proportions. The 28-year-old stocky point guard has been the target of several contending teams especially the Miami Heat who were looking to solidify a position of weakness during their recent title run. Other teams who were hot on the heels of Lowry were his former team Houston Rockets and the Dallas Mavericks among others.
In his second full season with the Raptors, Lowry registered borderline all-star numbers of 17.9 points, 7.4 assists and 4.7 rebounds per outing.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 US Open: Down Goes Maria Sharapova, BF Grigor Dimitrov Advances
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers