NBA News: Miami Heat Misses Out on Kyle Lowry, Agrees to Re-sign with Toronto Raptors
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 3, 2014 3:24 PM EST
The Miami Heat and the potentially returning Big Three of LeBron James, Chris Bosh and Dwayne Wade are running out of options to reload their roster.
Toronto Raptors Kyle Lowry (3) is fouled by Washington Wizards John Wall (2) during the first half of their NBA basketball game in Toronto, February 25, 2013. Credit: Reuters/Aaron Harris
Free agent guard Kyle Lowry agreed to remain with the Toronto Raptors for four more years in a contract extension worth $48 million, league sources notified Yahoo! Sports.
The fourth year of the deal is a player-option which Lowry can exercise if he wants to look for greener pastures. But right now his heart and soul is in Toronto. Lowry announced via social media site Twitter his decision to continue with the success and growth of the franchise.
This ain't Amir jersey y'all!! Lol..... it's for the 2014-15 season cause Toronto will be my home city http://t.co/kOFGonoKES
Re-signing Lowry has been the top priority of general manager Masai Ujiri since the beginning of the off-season. This is a breath of fresh air to a franchise that has seen a number of franchise cornerstones leave by demanding a trade or change teams during free agency which happened with Vince Carter and Chris Bosh. During the rebuilding years, Toronto also struggled to lure potential players and had to build through the draft snatching jewels in Demar Derozan, Terrence Ross and Jonas Valanciunas.
With his decision to stay, Lowry's popularity with the fans is expected to soar higher and his marketability to gain momentous proportions. The 28-year-old stocky point guard has been the target of several contending teams especially the Miami Heat who were looking to solidify a position of weakness during their recent title run. Other teams who were hot on the heels of Lowry were his former team Houston Rockets and the Dallas Mavericks among others.
In his second full season with the Raptors, Lowry registered borderline all-star numbers of 17.9 points, 7.4 assists and 4.7 rebounds per outing.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Transfer News: Manchester United's Possible Transfer Options For This Season
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Top 10 Highest Paid Tennis Players
- Dallas Cowboys Have Worst Linebackers in History, Tony Romo To Miss Games Again – Gerry Fraley
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Mourinho's Free-Transfer Ploy On Khedira Working, After Latter Refused To Pen New Real Madrid Deal
- Spanish Super Cup Second Leg Preview
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- James Foley: ISIS Demanded Multimillion Ransom, US Refused To Pay---Reports