‘Sherlock’ Hints on Jim Moriarty’s Possible Return, Announces Season Four [VIDEO]
By Anne Lu | July 3, 2014 2:58 PM EST
Jim Moriarty is coming back to “Sherlock,” or at least that’s what fans think after BBC One tweeted a photo of the villain with the text: “Did you miss me?”
On Wednesday, the UK network has hinted on Moriarty’s (Andrew Scott) return to the show with a few tweets referring to the possible return of the “consulting criminal.”
Actor Benedict Cumberbatch smiles as he arrives at the 2014 Vanity Fair Oscars Party in West Hollywood, California March 3, 2014. REUTERS/Danny Moloshok
It can be recalled that Moriarty died in the second season finale “The Reichenbach Fall,” in which he forced Sherlock (Benedict Cumberbatch) to commit suicide just before shooting himself in the head.
With such serious wound, it’s unlikely that Moriarty was still alive.
However, if the producers could find a way to bring back Sherlock to life after jumping off a building, then it’s also possible that Moriarty just faked his death.
The last scene in the third season finale “His Last Vow” saw Moriarty’s face appearing on television across Britain repeating “Did you miss me?”
But in case the viewers have forgotten him, BBC One has reminded them that there’s still the unresolved issue of Moriarty’s real condition. The network has posted a few tweets about the beloved villain, telling fans to follow its Twitter account for more details.
— BBC One (@BBCOne) July 1, 2014
The tweet was posted on July 2, which means that the anticipated tweet would come around 11pm in NSW, Australia on July 3.
In other “Sherlock” news, fans would be pleased to know that it would take another two years for the new season of the show to arrive.
The BBC One drama, which also stars Martin Freeman as Sherlock’s best friend Dr John Watson, will definitely be back for a fourth season. According to the new announcement, a special episode will be aired before the fourth series begins.
“A special, plus a new series of three episodes – it’s a record-breaking run! Of course, it’s far too early to say what’s coming, but we’re reasonably confident that the very next thing to happen to Sherlock and John, is the very last thing you’d expect,” co-creator Steven Moffat said.
Co-creator Mark Gatiss, who also plays Sherlock’s older brother Mycroft Holmes, added, “Series Four! At last! It’s always special to return to Sherlock but this time it’s even more special as we’re doing... a Special!
“Not only THAT, we’ll then be shooting three more episodes which will take Sherlock and John Watson into deeper and darker water than ever before. The whole Sherlock team are terrifically excited to return for four new adventures. The Game is on – again!”
Production on the Special episode will begin in January 2015, while the rest of the series will kick off shooting later the same year.
We're ready to unleash the most shocking and surprising series of #Sherlock yet. The only thing is to expect is the unexpected... #221back — BBC One (@BBCOne) July 2, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice’ First Photo Of Lex Luthor Leaked, Jesse Eisenberg On Villain’s Role And Plot Details Revealed
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nick Cannon–Mariah Carey Divorce Reports: Nick Dating Younger Woman
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Captain America 3’: Red Skull Returns, Greater Villains Added
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones