‘Sherlock’ Hints on Jim Moriarty’s Possible Return, Announces Season Four [VIDEO]
By Anne Lu | July 3, 2014 2:58 PM EST
Jim Moriarty is coming back to “Sherlock,” or at least that’s what fans think after BBC One tweeted a photo of the villain with the text: “Did you miss me?”
On Wednesday, the UK network has hinted on Moriarty’s (Andrew Scott) return to the show with a few tweets referring to the possible return of the “consulting criminal.”
Actor Benedict Cumberbatch smiles as he arrives at the 2014 Vanity Fair Oscars Party in West Hollywood, California March 3, 2014. REUTERS/Danny Moloshok
It can be recalled that Moriarty died in the second season finale “The Reichenbach Fall,” in which he forced Sherlock (Benedict Cumberbatch) to commit suicide just before shooting himself in the head.
With such serious wound, it’s unlikely that Moriarty was still alive.
However, if the producers could find a way to bring back Sherlock to life after jumping off a building, then it’s also possible that Moriarty just faked his death.
The last scene in the third season finale “His Last Vow” saw Moriarty’s face appearing on television across Britain repeating “Did you miss me?”
But in case the viewers have forgotten him, BBC One has reminded them that there’s still the unresolved issue of Moriarty’s real condition. The network has posted a few tweets about the beloved villain, telling fans to follow its Twitter account for more details.
— BBC One (@BBCOne) July 1, 2014
The tweet was posted on July 2, which means that the anticipated tweet would come around 11pm in NSW, Australia on July 3.
In other “Sherlock” news, fans would be pleased to know that it would take another two years for the new season of the show to arrive.
The BBC One drama, which also stars Martin Freeman as Sherlock’s best friend Dr John Watson, will definitely be back for a fourth season. According to the new announcement, a special episode will be aired before the fourth series begins.
“A special, plus a new series of three episodes – it’s a record-breaking run! Of course, it’s far too early to say what’s coming, but we’re reasonably confident that the very next thing to happen to Sherlock and John, is the very last thing you’d expect,” co-creator Steven Moffat said.
Co-creator Mark Gatiss, who also plays Sherlock’s older brother Mycroft Holmes, added, “Series Four! At last! It’s always special to return to Sherlock but this time it’s even more special as we’re doing... a Special!
“Not only THAT, we’ll then be shooting three more episodes which will take Sherlock and John Watson into deeper and darker water than ever before. The whole Sherlock team are terrifically excited to return for four new adventures. The Game is on – again!”
Production on the Special episode will begin in January 2015, while the rest of the series will kick off shooting later the same year.
We're ready to unleash the most shocking and surprising series of #Sherlock yet. The only thing is to expect is the unexpected... #221back — BBC One (@BBCOne) July 2, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS