Impasse in Indiana: Pacers, Stephenson Can’t Agree on a Deal
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 3, 2014 2:43 PM EST
This time, it’s the Indiana Pacers blowing on the ear of Lance Stephenson. Or the other way around.
Either way it appears there is an stalemate in Indiana as Stephenson rejected the Pacers’ offer of $44 million over 5 years according to ESPN.COM writer Chris Broussard.
May 20, 2014; Indianapolis, IN, USA; Miami Heat forward LeBron James (6) leans in to Indiana Pacers guard Lance Stephenson (1) during the second half of game two of the Eastern Conference Finals of the 2014 NBA Playoffs at Bankers Life Fieldhouse. The Miami Heat beat the Indiana Pacers 87 to 83.
Sources: L Stephenson & Pacers at impasse. Indy offers 5 yrs/$44 mill. Lance wants more, will talk to others. Chi, LAL, Hornets interested.
— Chris Broussard (@Chris_Broussard) July 2, 2014
The teams mentioned interested in Stephenson’s services are the Los Angeles Lakers, Charlotte Hornets and Chicago Bulls. The Lakers and Hornets have the cap space to offer Stephenson a larger contract than what the Pacers offered while the Bulls created one after amnestying power forward Carlos Boozer.
Stephenson was one of the key players in the Pacers’ successful runs in the past two seasons but has been involved in too many controversies. This includes the “blowing in the ear” of LeBron James incident in the Eastern Conference Finals and a reported in-team fighting with Pacers forward Evan Turner among others.
Despite the volatile personality, the 23-year-old guard was a nice surprise for the Pacers who drafted him 40th overall in the 2010 NBA Draft. Stephenson started and played 78 for the Pacers in the 2013-14 regular season averaging career-high numbers of 13.8 points, 7.2 rebounds and 4.6 assists. He maintained those numbers in the playoffs with 13.6 points, 6.9 rebounds and 4.2 assists in 19 postseason games.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People
- Raining Discounts: $100 Price Cut on Moto X; LG G3 Available for $100 On-Contract; Sony Xperia Z2 on Release Date Gets $50 Price Cut (U.S.)