Impasse in Indiana: Pacers, Stephenson Can’t Agree on a Deal
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 3, 2014 2:43 PM EST
This time, it’s the Indiana Pacers blowing on the ear of Lance Stephenson. Or the other way around.
Either way it appears there is an stalemate in Indiana as Stephenson rejected the Pacers’ offer of $44 million over 5 years according to ESPN.COM writer Chris Broussard.
May 20, 2014; Indianapolis, IN, USA; Miami Heat forward LeBron James (6) leans in to Indiana Pacers guard Lance Stephenson (1) during the second half of game two of the Eastern Conference Finals of the 2014 NBA Playoffs at Bankers Life Fieldhouse. The Miami Heat beat the Indiana Pacers 87 to 83.
Sources: L Stephenson & Pacers at impasse. Indy offers 5 yrs/$44 mill. Lance wants more, will talk to others. Chi, LAL, Hornets interested.
— Chris Broussard (@Chris_Broussard) July 2, 2014
The teams mentioned interested in Stephenson’s services are the Los Angeles Lakers, Charlotte Hornets and Chicago Bulls. The Lakers and Hornets have the cap space to offer Stephenson a larger contract than what the Pacers offered while the Bulls created one after amnestying power forward Carlos Boozer.
Stephenson was one of the key players in the Pacers’ successful runs in the past two seasons but has been involved in too many controversies. This includes the “blowing in the ear” of LeBron James incident in the Eastern Conference Finals and a reported in-team fighting with Pacers forward Evan Turner among others.
Despite the volatile personality, the 23-year-old guard was a nice surprise for the Pacers who drafted him 40th overall in the 2010 NBA Draft. Stephenson started and played 78 for the Pacers in the 2013-14 regular season averaging career-high numbers of 13.8 points, 7.2 rebounds and 4.6 assists. He maintained those numbers in the playoffs with 13.6 points, 6.9 rebounds and 4.2 assists in 19 postseason games.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Ana Ivanovic Posts a Hot Selfie on Instagram after her San Francisco Photo-Shoot
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- MH17: Shrapnel Hits Plane, Russia Calls for UN-led Investigation