Impasse in Indiana: Pacers, Stephenson Can’t Agree on a Deal
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 3, 2014 2:43 PM EST
This time, it’s the Indiana Pacers blowing on the ear of Lance Stephenson. Or the other way around.
Either way it appears there is an stalemate in Indiana as Stephenson rejected the Pacers’ offer of $44 million over 5 years according to ESPN.COM writer Chris Broussard.
May 20, 2014; Indianapolis, IN, USA; Miami Heat forward LeBron James (6) leans in to Indiana Pacers guard Lance Stephenson (1) during the second half of game two of the Eastern Conference Finals of the 2014 NBA Playoffs at Bankers Life Fieldhouse. The Miami Heat beat the Indiana Pacers 87 to 83.
Sources: L Stephenson & Pacers at impasse. Indy offers 5 yrs/$44 mill. Lance wants more, will talk to others. Chi, LAL, Hornets interested.
— Chris Broussard (@Chris_Broussard) July 2, 2014
The teams mentioned interested in Stephenson’s services are the Los Angeles Lakers, Charlotte Hornets and Chicago Bulls. The Lakers and Hornets have the cap space to offer Stephenson a larger contract than what the Pacers offered while the Bulls created one after amnestying power forward Carlos Boozer.
Stephenson was one of the key players in the Pacers’ successful runs in the past two seasons but has been involved in too many controversies. This includes the “blowing in the ear” of LeBron James incident in the Eastern Conference Finals and a reported in-team fighting with Pacers forward Evan Turner among others.
Despite the volatile personality, the 23-year-old guard was a nice surprise for the Pacers who drafted him 40th overall in the 2010 NBA Draft. Stephenson started and played 78 for the Pacers in the 2013-14 regular season averaging career-high numbers of 13.8 points, 7.2 rebounds and 4.6 assists. He maintained those numbers in the playoffs with 13.6 points, 6.9 rebounds and 4.2 assists in 19 postseason games.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border