Impasse in Indiana: Pacers, Stephenson Can’t Agree on a Deal
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 3, 2014 2:43 PM EST
This time, it’s the Indiana Pacers blowing on the ear of Lance Stephenson. Or the other way around.
Either way it appears there is an stalemate in Indiana as Stephenson rejected the Pacers’ offer of $44 million over 5 years according to ESPN.COM writer Chris Broussard.
May 20, 2014; Indianapolis, IN, USA; Miami Heat forward LeBron James (6) leans in to Indiana Pacers guard Lance Stephenson (1) during the second half of game two of the Eastern Conference Finals of the 2014 NBA Playoffs at Bankers Life Fieldhouse. The Miami Heat beat the Indiana Pacers 87 to 83.
Sources: L Stephenson & Pacers at impasse. Indy offers 5 yrs/$44 mill. Lance wants more, will talk to others. Chi, LAL, Hornets interested.
— Chris Broussard (@Chris_Broussard) July 2, 2014
The teams mentioned interested in Stephenson’s services are the Los Angeles Lakers, Charlotte Hornets and Chicago Bulls. The Lakers and Hornets have the cap space to offer Stephenson a larger contract than what the Pacers offered while the Bulls created one after amnestying power forward Carlos Boozer.
Stephenson was one of the key players in the Pacers’ successful runs in the past two seasons but has been involved in too many controversies. This includes the “blowing in the ear” of LeBron James incident in the Eastern Conference Finals and a reported in-team fighting with Pacers forward Evan Turner among others.
Despite the volatile personality, the 23-year-old guard was a nice surprise for the Pacers who drafted him 40th overall in the 2010 NBA Draft. Stephenson started and played 78 for the Pacers in the 2013-14 regular season averaging career-high numbers of 13.8 points, 7.2 rebounds and 4.6 assists. He maintained those numbers in the playoffs with 13.6 points, 6.9 rebounds and 4.2 assists in 19 postseason games.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- NBA Preview: Milwaukee Bucks Look to Develop Youngsters Jabari Parker, Giannis Antetokounmpo
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine